Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
A schitty day with a half assed dog is still better than a great day with no dog.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple years back Cumberland md had a bad windstorm, lost all
electricity for a couple days. Heasrs they had stripped their stores of all
flashlights and such.

We went to our Wal-Mart, thought I'd look to seeif they had been up
here. They had, then I heard a couple talking, so I ask if they were
affected. They started to complain about how terrible it was.

"Yeah, I can understand, can't cook, can't shower, flush..."

"Oh, no, we still have city water and gas. We can cook, shower...
we just don't have lights and a/c."

F that's nothing. City idiots.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a few five gallons to flush with!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
sounds a lot like Miami after a hurricane. All the negros, yankee immigrants and South Americans standing around waiting for the man to bring free water and food. Crackers have two weeks supply of food and water, generators, batteries and gas on hand at all times.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Melt snow and ice, boil and enjoyđź‘Ť

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

During the ice storm caused power outage back in 2009 stores here were pretty well stocked with everything and the same for gas stations but the problem was for the first week or so they couldn't process debit/credit transactions or run gas pumps without power. Some in outlying areas were without power for as long as a month. Many, many people were just S-O-L and cash was king.

Some were driving hundreds of miles trying to hunt down portable generators, kerosene heaters, vent-less natural and LP gas heaters, and fuel and food that they could purchase via credit/debit.

Within the first week some local 'entrepreneurs" started renting U-Haul trucks and trailers and hauling in all the portable generators and heaters they could carry and selling them out of the back end in shopping center parking lots.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good luck with it Ed. We don't realize how good it is, till it's gone.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Who doesn’t jug up some water when a storm is coming? Or at least keep some on hand for such events. That is the norm around here. Just makes sense.

All the gold in the world won’t buy the last loaf of bread from a hungry man. Or the last glass of water from a thirsty man.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good look in pup.

You can get water out of your hot water heater..
It's best if you get one of those little 6 foot hoses...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
there's always water in a full water heater with or without power. But I'm sure you and most everybody else knows that.

We always keep a couple of cases of Frozen water bottles in the freezer for the cooler or for chilling Wort when we're making beer.

Good luck

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2

During the ice storm caused power outage back in 2009 stores here were pretty well stocked with everything and the same for gas stations but the problem was for the first week or so they couldn't process debit/credit transactions or run gas pumps without power. Some in outlying areas were without power for as long as a month. Many, many people were just S-O-L and cash was king.

I can't imagine not having a little cash comfort cushion around. I can't tell how many times I've been able to go to the front of the line in a store "when the systems are down" and just pay with cash and go. Especially when traveling overnight.

Water, food, water filters, bug out bag, cash, hand warmers, etc..... basic emergency supplies.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been fortunate I guess to have never lived in the city and be dependent on someone else for my water. I do have a spare pressure switch, a nail file and bug spray in the barn to keep both of the wells up and running. Hopefully y'all can get back to some sort of normal before long.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by joken2

I can't imagine not having a little cash comfort cushion around. I can't tell how many times I've been able to go to the front of the line in a store "when the systems are down" and just pay with cash and go. Especially when traveling overnight.

Water, food, water filters, bug out bag, cash, hand warmers, etc..... basic emergency supplies.

Nowadays with direct deposit being the most common pay method most people seldom ever see the need to keep much cash on hand. When they do need a little cash they figure they can always use ATMs located just about everywhere but apparently what never occurs to them is ATM machines don't work without power, either.

I watched people at gas stations wanting to buy fuel for vehicles and LP and kerosene for heaters get denied time and again because although the businesses had brought in generators to power lights, coolers and the gas pumps, they still couldn't process electronic transactions as the telephone service was still down.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Grit, that spare switch is a GOOD idea.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MPat70
Melt snow and ice, boil and enjoyđź‘Ť

........... Beat me to it; but it takes a LOT of snow to get a gallon of water, but it works and it's better than no water.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by CashisKing
there's always water in a full water heater with or without power. But I'm sure you and most everybody else knows that.

We always keep a couple of cases of Frozen water bottles in the freezer for the cooler or for chilling Wort when we're making beer.

Good luck

I normally have some frozen water bottles in the chest freezer for the coolers, but neglected to put them back in the last time I used them. When power went down Monday evening, I filled a bunch of water bottles and set them out to freeze overnight just in case power was out longer than expected. Glad I did. The next morning I transferred them and the food from the fridge into coolers and put some more in the chest freezer. That covered the situation well until power came back Wednesday morning. I actually had several to spare and my camping water jugs were full too. Good thing since we also lost water pressure.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good size coolers are very handy substitute for refrigerators when it's cold enough to make your own ice. Even if it gets above freezing during the day just keep 'em out of the sun and freeze more bottles of water every night. Beats holding your breath waiting for FEMA to show up. Around here I can make my own ice most nights in the winter season even when it gets over 32 degrees in the daytime.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Good look in pup.

You can get water out of your hot water heater..
It's best if you get one of those little 6 foot hoses...

Remember if the power is out and you want to tap the hot water heater for water to turn off hot water heater breaker and only turn it back on once the water tank is full.

We learned at our previous house that water in the ground (in a 1000 gallon tank) is of no use if there is no electricity for the pump. When we built our current place we placed four large tanks in the ground on the hill above the house. We have gravity fed water at 35 psi with or without power. With power it's pressured up to 65 psi.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Got a shower and shave in this morning at a friends place. Feel great. Awaiting a part that hopefully arrives tomorrow and should be back in business.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 007FJ, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,528
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.