Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Question for you regular AND OCD reloaders.

I haven't reloaded enough to develop a really good procedure for documenting what I'm doing. Basically how do you guys track the number of times your brass has been reloaded, when it was last resized, what loads you've tried in your rifle, what loads you've developed but haven't tried yet, OAL for a given gun - bullet combo....etc etc etc.

I reload a couple of times a year maybe and always forget WTH i was doing, where I left of, what's been tried, and all that. I need some advice, spreadsheets, or whatever for how you guys manage the documentation for your guns and reloading.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have notebooks where I document loads worked up and fired for each firearm, so I know what I've shot as far as what worked and didn't work, along with the number of rounds fired for some guns. I take the appropriate notebook with me when shooting, and document how each load of a workup did for accuracy, velocity, and any other notes that seem appropriate, such as "too hot, don't shoot again,"

Each box of ammo (or brass), I stick a strip of 2" masking tape on top and write all the load details in fine-point Sharpie, including the brass firings since anneal, and which gun it is specifically for. I have taken to color-coding with a sticker for specific guns as well, where there are several in same caliber.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 02/17/21.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
That's been where I've headed.....keeping brass in a specific container and tracking reloadings on that container.

Can you share what items you're tracking in your notebooks? Brass, primer, COL, group size, velocity, too hot, bullet, powder type / weight, anything else?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have developed a target with lines for all pertinent info, after returning from the range the targets get three hole punched and put in caliber specific three ring binders. That way I have all the info and the targets with results all in one place. PM me if you'd like to see one of these targets.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm sure many on the 'Fire have better systems than mine but I sort my cases into lots of 10,20, or 50. Each lot has a section in a cardfile where I record the load details and performance (Chrono results, group sizes, hunting performance, etc). If one case in the lot needs trimmed, I trim them all. I anneal them all together, If case necks begin to split or primer pockets become loose, I discard the entire lot.

On the cartridge container (and in the cardfile) I designate how many times the cases have been reloaded and how many times they have been reloaded since they were trimmed. For instance if a lot has "4A" on it, it means that the cases have been reloaded four times and once since they were trimmed. If a lot has "8B", they have been reloaded eight times and twice since trimmed.

I suppose we all have a system that matches our level of OCD.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I'm not really organized but try to be. I've been 100 rd MTM boxes and writing the load on the cover in sharpie. Gorilla clear duct tape over that will help from wiping out your data. Tally mark inside tells me how many reloads. I trim and anneal every time just because. I also put the neck bushing size and AMP annealer number inside. I've got notebooks for each gun I'll write stuff down in, but it's mostly Chrono data with temps and quite honestly, doesn't get looked at much once I've settled on a load.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear
Question for you regular AND OCD reloaders.

I haven't reloaded enough to develop a really good procedure for documenting what I'm doing. Basically how do you guys track the number of times your brass has been reloaded, when it was last resized, what loads you've tried in your rifle, what loads you've developed but haven't tried yet, OAL for a given gun - bullet combo....etc etc etc.

I reload a couple of times a year maybe and always forget WTH i was doing, where I left of, what's been tried, and all that. I need some advice, spreadsheets, or whatever for how you guys manage the documentation for your guns and reloading.

Reloading and shooting go hand in hand for me, so I log shooting and reloading activity in a Word doc. Basically it’s a 14-year diary of activity that covers over 600 pages. I like Word for this because I can use it on any computer ever made and because it’s searchable.

To get the most of it, you need to standardize how you record data. For instance, I’m shooting a particularly accurate Remington 308 right now, which I refer to as “700P.” If I called it “308” then every time I searched for information about it, I’d end up with results for the dozen or so other 308s that I’ve owned over the years.

You also need a standard way to record loads. 700P does very well with 45.8 grains of Varget with a 165-grain Nosler Partition. I record that as “45.8/V/165P.” If I want to review my notes on that load, then I search for “45.8/V/165P.” I’ve used the 165-grain Partition in several other loads, so if I want to review notes on them, I search for “165P.” I’ve also used 45.8 grains of Varget with several other bullets, so if I want notes on that charge, then I search for “45.8/V.” And so on…

I also keep results in tables in Word so it’s easy to compare apples to apples. For accuracy testing, the table lists the rifle/cartridge, load, distance, extreme spread, shots fired, and any other notes. I use the same table for all loads. I have a similar table for velocity.

The most important thing that these notes contain is the record of things that failed and my thought on why they failed. For instance, although 700P is very accurate with 165-grain bullets, it doesn’t shoot 180s that well. If I still own this rifle in five or 10 years, then I may have forgotten that. But I start new experiments by checking new ideas against my old records, and that has saved me a lot of powder, primers, and range time over the years.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here is what I use. I started out using 8.5 x 11 then eventually went to 8.5 x 14. I place them in a hard binder notebook with dividers for each rifle. I don't know if this counts as OCD, but it keeps me organized.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's been where I've headed.....keeping brass in a specific container and tracking reloadings on that container.

Can you share what items you're tracking in your notebooks? Brass, primer, COL, group size, velocity, too hot, bullet, powder type / weight, anything else?

Everything is written on blue tape stuck on the ammo box lid. I note the number of firings of the brass so I’ll know next time. I also will write notes on tape inside the lid if their is something special so I don’t forget the next time I take that ammo to the range. Everything gets transferred to a 3 ring binder when I shoot it, and often includes a portion of the target taped to the page with the group and any small notes on the target.

On the lid I note all components, powder charge, lot numbers of components, date, plus what dies I used. I have presses dedicated for sizing and for seating, but if there’s any change I note that also in the ammo box. Any variation from my routine is noted on the box.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I segregate brass in 50 round mtm boxes. Inside the lid I put hash marks on masking tape, indicated how many times it’s been fired/sized.

When testing hand loads, I write powder charges on a small piece of paper and tape it inside the box lid.

I shoot paper targets, write the load data on the targets, and save/scan the targets when I am finished. This makes it easy to see group sizes and point of impact changes.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I track reloading two ways. The first is a hard copy notebook that has all the info about a load when I make it. This is a legacy from when I started reloading. The second way is a Word file for each firearm that gets entries when ever I shoot it with what the results were, and a running total round count. The individual boxes of ammo get a 3x5 card with the info from the note book. I try to keep all my cases in just two conditions: As fired, and fully reloaded. This helps eliminate errors of missed or duplicated steps.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use 3X5 index cards for every load. I have them segregated for each rifle and record each load on each card, with the dates fired. I keep those in the file boxes sold for filing them. In addition, I've been using the same type targets, 4 on each 8X10 paper, where the load number is recorded on each target which enables me to identify components. I have a 3 ring binder for each rifle and save every target that records every load fired through the gun, excepting those shots fired on game. I keep records separately for brass where I record every reload of the brass on a small 4X6 spiral notebook. When the brass is done and dumped, so is the page.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Looks like there are a lot of different ways reload data is being stored. For the Excel version I posted, I print the sheets off on heavy 67# printing paper that I pick up at the local office supply. This holds up much better in the ring binder than standard printing paper. When I arrive back home I enter the data on my computer. With the spreadsheets in the Excel format, I have sortable data.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I keep all my loading notes in EXCEL.

Alan

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GSSP

A spreadsheet keeps it simple.
Document all data, the good loads of course and the bad ones too, so you don't duplicate a bad one a couple yeas from now.
Don't ask me how I learned that one...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My sheets are the are the basically the same as L. They are in sets of three, with the last one being range reports. My lot # have a letter preface as in SM for Swedish Mauser or N for Newton for my 6.5-06. I use 1" binders for each caliber . The opening page is some remarks off Chuck Hawk or someone like that.. History and the like. Next is the technical drawings. I have cartridge overall length notes for rifle and the bullets I use. Then I have lifted recipes, Nosler is great for that but other bullet and powder companies are a good resources. Then the spreadsheets. Since the notes are so important. I found those hole protector rings invaluable .

We were going to move so my binders got packed and I lost 6.5 RM. I usually put all information on a tag with the ammo box as well,, this time I hadn't. I ended up pulling them and dumping the powder.

Remember this is all rocket science.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Any observations I have that stick out at the time, such as a trend in a load ladder regarding velocity or accuracy, whether I need to load a higher charge or try a different seating depth, high or low ES, weather conditions during shooting. Whether I was having a good, an average, or a bad trigger day (some days, I just shoot better than others, and am more comfortable and more focused when shooting).

When I have selected what I deem are best components and loaded up a bunch, I will still document shooting certain rifles to keep track of round count, rounds since cleaning, velocity (documenting any unexpected changes, mostly), and accuracy, particularly those that I purposely shoot at longer ranges.

I like having notes. Each gun has its own character and personality of sorts, and the notes sort of document each gun's idiosyncrasies. I have no desire to acquire firearms just to sell them later, so I get to know each as well as I can.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I keep a notebook and targets. I make note of where the lands are at on each new rifle I get, with every bullet I have for that caliber. That way I just look at my "OAL book" and know how far off the lands I'm at with that rifle and bullet. I only write down "pet loads" that the rifles like, same with my targets. I keep the ones with the best accuracy and discard the rest. I always write down the temperature when shooting and developing loads, also wind direction and weather conditions. Sometimes I'll write down velocity, if its a new load that I'm working up. I'll also write down if I changed anything like scope and mounts or stocks, or any other change like glass bedding or freefloating the barrel: Example:

Documentation is great when you are reloading. Just keep in mind that you may have to fine tune your loads a bit after switching to different lots of bullets and powders or change primers. Then its like starting over again. I keep stuff in note books labeled:

1. Pet loads
2. OAL book (small note pad)
3. New loads

With the new loads, its just written on a small note pad and placed in the box with the loads I am developing:

I also write notes in my load manuals, as to what I've tried and what didn't work for each rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have used data bases and the Point Blank program, but am presently using Reloading Studio. https://reloadingstudio.com/ Its is as detailed or not as you want, can enter all of your components and the idiosyncrasies of each component and how you maintain it. Databases for brass, bullets, powders, primers, and firearms. Space for range reports, weather reports, etc. Demo and You Tubes on their website.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by colodog
Originally Posted by GSSP

A spreadsheet keeps it simple.
Document all data, the good loads of course and the bad ones too, so you don't duplicate a bad one a couple yeas from now.
Don't ask me how I learned that one...

That's my signature move

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1moredeer, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,224 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,547
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.