Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
for a derringer double barrel i'm thinking of a 357 mag.

then i'd be running 38 spl to better handle recoil.

what about a 380 or 9 mm, or even a 45 acp?

i guess they'd all work ok.

but which one?

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Max .38 Special/9mm would likely be wise.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
High Standard in 22 or 22 mag. They’re small and flat enough to actually be less cumbersome than an extra Jframe. No hammer to have to cock. And a generally decent enough DA trigger pull that you can actually hit something with one.

There was a copy of the HS with a steel frame chambered for centerfire cartridges. I can’t think of the name of the company but I do remember they were nice but also expensive.

Realistically you’re going to be money ahead and better equipped with an LCP. They aren’t much if any bigger and hold 3X the ammo.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
None of the above. Derringers might have been practical 30 years ago when a Walther PPK/s was considered a small, light gun, but for the cost and weight of a derringer like a Bond Arms, you're better off with an LCP, G42 or any of the small 9mms.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by UPhiker
None of the above. Derringers might have been practical 30 years ago when a Walther PPK/s was considered a small, light gun, but for the cost and weight of a derringer like a Bond Arms, you're better off with an LCP, G42 or any of the small 9mms.

Agreed.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Agreed.

I would agree also. In this day and age, when you can get a reliable, shootable 10+1 9mm that fits in the palm of your hand (think Sig 365/SA Hellcat etc) it's hard to make a case for the relevance of a 2 shots-then-throw-it, hard to hit with derringer.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The size of a Derringer that is in a cartridge of relative effectiveness is fairly close to the size of some smaller revolvers and semi autos that would likely be considerably more useful in a fight.

Think about this, If you are down to your backup, you really are in a bad way and absolutely need a handgun that is going to work 100% of the time, firing a cartridge that is going to put an end to the trouble you are in, versus a feel good talisman, which is what most derringers and mini revolvers really are.

Do you really want to be in a gunfight with a NAA single action mini revolver, with its 1" barrel and non existent sights, against an opponent who is armed appropriately? Why choose to deliberately handicap yourself? Gunfights happen fast. They are ugly, and you need every advantage you can get. Choosing a derringer is not unlike choosing to load blanks in your gun while the other guy holds all the advantage. Screw that.

Yep, guns can be uncomfortable to carry. Beats being dead or crippled for life. I have a former co-worker who is now in a wheelchair because he let his guard down. Others who are dead.

A 5 shot J Frame, Glock 42/43 is about as small as I would go as a BUG, and not as a primary. The question I always ask people is "what is the smallest gun you are willing to get into a gunfight with 1 or 2 people with?". Don't go smaller than that.

That may not be the answer you wanted to hear, but it is what it is.. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
If your set on getting one, get a 44 special.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
If your set on getting one, get a 44 special.

My 19 oz Charter Arms Bulldog .44 is hard enough to handle. No way I'd want a derringer in that caliber.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My mim carry is a 5 shot 44 special with 200 gr hollow points. and I would aim for a center chest hold . if I have to shoot some one I want them dead as fast as possible.. If you can't do that then learn to run very fast..

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was going to fool with a two-shooter I'd opt for a 45 Colt/410 Bond Arms.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gus
for a derringer double barrel i'm thinking of a 357 mag.

then i'd be running 38 spl to better handle recoil.

what about a 380 or 9 mm, or even a 45 acp?

i guess they'd all work ok.

but which one?
I've owned derringers in 38 Spec., 22 LR and 32 ACP. One was a Texas Derringer, which was a very quality gun that nobody would be ashamed to own. It recoiled fairly heavily even in 38 Spec. Not something that I would want to shoot for fun and I'm fairly tolerant of recoil. The other two were Davis derringers, IIRC. They were not nearly as quality but were recognized as okay for the last ditch guns that they were. They came out with one that may have been a larger framed gun, and it was 38 Spec. The problem with the Texas Derringer, was already related. Just too big when you could probably have a Colt Officer's model in 45 ACP (back in the early nineties) or a J frame Chief's Special and not take up much more space on your person. Much better guns for either an initial fight or even backup. The Davis derringers were smaller and would've taken less space. Probably more viable for something smaller than the aforementioned guns. Not as good of a gun though. All of these were Remington type tip-up two shots. This said since "derringer" can mean different types of guns. These days I would not recommend any of them nor would I recommend an NAA type tiny revolver.

My smallest gun is a P938 SIG. That's as small as I want to go. It's a 9mm and a serious fighting gun. IIRC, it's 7 shots so it's not a hi-cap. I like it much better than any Kel-Tec I've ever owned, though the Kel-Tec may be a bit smaller. Kel-Tec was not reliable for me. I also have a Smith and Wesson M&P Compact in the same caliber. It's a high capacity and the current iteration holds 13 round mags. It is only nominally bigger than the 938, but there IS a difference. When I bought the SIG, I laid a bunch of different pistols out on the counter and the Kel-Tec was the only one smaller in 9mm, than the 938 that I can recall. The Kel-Tec was never reliable for me and was a wicked kicker. The SIG has always been reliable with everything and doesn't recoil badly. The Smith is even better but is bigger. The Smith and Wesson Shield is essentially a slimline M&P Compact that only holds 8 rds. It is a bit smaller but to me, the slight gain in compactness is not worth the loss of rounds between the two. The SIG gains enough in compactness that it is worth the loss in firepower...to me.

If I were to go this way right now, I'd give the SIG P365 a hard look. It is only a bit bigger than the P938 and holds more rounds. IIRC it is smaller than the Smith M&P Compact. Smith also offers their M&P's in .40 and .45 ACP if the 9 doesn't float your boat. They also offer the Shield in a version which touts EZ slide racking for the elderly and infirm. I think they also offer it in 380.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Multiple assailants today are common. Ruger LC9 with an extra mag is advisable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Nice hole.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That thing is beautiful!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Those little pocket-sized 1911 style Sigs are cool. I've got the .380 ACP variant (the P238), which pretty much looks like that one, but a little smaller in all dimensions. I've never had a jam with it.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Get a Ruger LCP, Beretta Pico or a Sig 238.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The first time I saw one of those P938s was about 8-9 years ago now. I was teaching a civilian class, which I had swore off doing but my buddy John Shaw was double book with a military outfit coming in and needed help so I agreed to (John has always been such a good dude, it is hard to say no when he needs a favor).

Anyways, one of the students had one of these micro 9s, and I did not expect much, as most of the time, folks with mini guns don't shoot them well, and they don't run well. That was not the case with the 938 or the guy. The thing ran like a sewing machine and was quite obviously accurate, based on the guy's target. He was punching little fist sized clusters with it.

Impressive little thing.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by kingston

Nice hole.

That's what a good hollowpoint can do... grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.