Hop To
#15817552 02/21/21
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Due to work putting a block on vacation during hunting season this year I’m not going to make it to CO for elk camp. The block starts on September 15 and I got to thinking maybe I could do an antelope hunt before then.

I’d be coming from OK so NM, TX, CO would be preferred though WY would be doable. Anybody know anybody I should call? I don’t really want or need a guide but I get the feeling a private land trespass fee type deal is about the only option.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Draw only in Wyoming and with no PP I would pick an area with good access and large number of tags and hope for a random draw tag. 0 PP areas can be hunted successfully but you'll work for it.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The Colorado pronghorn season is from October 2 thru 10. All tags are issued in the draw.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've only hunted antelope in WY. Drawing a tag is the hard part.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the public land area I hunt in Wyoming, gun season for antelope does not open until September 25. Archery season in the same area opens August 15.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Check WY units carefully, I've seen gun season everywhere from opening on Sept 15 to Oct 15, some are different dates for private/public as well.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Some any antelope seasons in Wyoming open August 15. I'm guessing those units require quite a few points though. Start looking in unit 85 and go up from there for units that fit your needs.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I believe area 50 opens early for muzzleloader antelope... Most in my area open after Sept, 15,,

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Learn something new today! Never saw a type 0 tag before in WY!

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I’ll just sit it out this year.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
FWIW.

Antelope fawn survival way down last year, start of serious drought this year with poor forage, tags reduced almost everywhere except eastern part of state, of which virtually all is private.

I know LOTS of residents who haven't drawn a tag (for public areas) in 10+ years.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My work blocked out the month of October no rifle or muzzleloader elk for me. Most NM rifle hunts are in August, the kicker is that most are only three days.

Last edited by ggarcia85; 02/22/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I’ll just sit it out this year.

No need to do that. Find an area with an early start date and at least some public land, even if just a bit but it has to have country/state road access and apply. Past years draw statistics can help some, but the last few years they haven't been too reliable.

I'd avoid looking at units with lots of public land but you've got a realistic chance of drawing a less desirable unit with 0 points if you apply for it 1st choice. I'd also caution to not be too picky unless you can spend several days there, or are perfectly fine eating the tag. It beats the hell out of not having a tag at all.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
If an employer ever told me I could not take a vacation when I want to take one (especially Hunting), I'd find another employer!

There are only some many hunting seasons a guy gets and I am NOT missing one!

Elk Country

Last edited by elkcountry; 02/25/21.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah I know. I felt that way too for a long time. And then I married a lady who turned out to have medical issues that cost a whole bunch of money to keep in check, and we had a son, and I landed a job at a very secure long term gig that has great benefits and pays better than 95 percent of other options nearby. It sucks but I don’t have another good option. I won’t be missing rifle deer or elk season here at home, nor the 365 day a year pig shoot, just my annual out of state elk/mule deer hunt.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not whining but my chances for a Cali antelope tag will be the best ever. At most 20-25% and this year will be number 26 I've been putting in. I had so much time into it and started before the points system so I got the lifetime license and the lifetime sportsmans package before I fled.

It's more than paid off. Yearly hunting license plus a deer tag and five hog tags. Paid for itself by the second year.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by TheKid
Yeah I know. I felt that way too for a long time. And then I married a lady who turned out to have medical issues that cost a whole bunch of money to keep in check, and we had a son, and I landed a job at a very secure long term gig that has great benefits and pays better than 95 percent of other options nearby. It sucks but I don’t have another good option. I won’t be missing rifle deer or elk season here at home, nor the 365 day a year pig shoot, just my annual out of state elk/mule deer hunt.

Looks like the Texas Panhandle has some decently priced antelope hunts that could be done on a quick weekend? And don't know when OK deer season is, but you could always go north into KS for a whitetail. Usually a lot of walk-in ground between Liberal, Hays, Garden City, and Wichita.

NM has hunts in August so that might end up being your best bet for antelope.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
give Bob Atwood of Blue Mountain Outfitters of Belen NM a call

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
They have antelope hunts in Wyoming for animals that ranches want shot off of property as a nuisance. These start August 15 and run for several weeks as I recall. Kicker is they have to be shot within a half mile of irrigated fields. F&G gives you a list of ranchers to contact and set up hunts. Two deer hunting buddies came from back east and I explained I had a coiple of good areas set up and it will be a 1 day hunt. We had the 2 antelope in the truck by noon first day. Only problem with this type hunt is not a lot of trophy selection on the 2 or 3 ranches you set up to hunt.We gave the landowner an extra $100 each and he gets some money from Fish and Game. Plus not as many antelope in the alfalfa. This hunt may suit your needs.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
They have antelope hunts in Wyoming for animals that ranches want shot off of property as a nuisance. These start August 15 and run for several weeks as I recall. Kicker is they have to be shot within a half mile of irrigated fields. F&G gives you a list of ranchers to contact and set up hunts. Two deer hunting buddies came from back east and I explained I had a coiple of good areas set up and it will be a 1 day hunt. We had the 2 antelope in the truck by noon first day. Only problem with this type hunt is not a lot of trophy selection on the 2 or 3 ranches you set up to hunt.We gave the landowner an extra $100 each and he gets some money from Fish and Game. Plus not as many antelope in the alfalfa. This hunt may suit your needs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,177 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,547
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.