Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rocky_mtn
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Yah, uhh huhhh...

Why would I come here to ask about getting denied and appealing if I knew I was a felon or a fugitive or something? Anyways, I'm just a stranger on the internet so I guess it doesn't really matter if I'm telling the truth or not or if people believe me.

Sounds like a lot of you have experienced delays, but not too many denials. Most of the denials I read about are from people with criminal records that they thought wouldn't count against them (juvenile stuff or things that have been expunged/pardoned), or from people with unknown bench warrants from minor stuff like traffic violations. There is the occasional case of mistaken identity as well. I'm assuming I fall in the last category, because I've never been arrested and I would have been prompt with any parking tickets or that sort of thing. But I guess you never know.

I'm not looking forward to the appeal process. Sounds like it can take forever.

Did the shop say they’d try it again?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Never mind.

I saw now that they said they’d not run it again.

I’d walk away. Fugk em.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Good news, I guess. I found the source of my trouble - someone with my name with a warrant out in a different state. Different age, but a typo somewhere in the system had me flagged as their guy. It took a lot of phone calls just to find it, and I was glad to find a sheriff's department finally willing to run my name through the system over the phone. It is getting fixed. Now I get to begin the long process of an NICS appeal.

If I find a gun I really want between now and when the appeal goes through, I might try to see if I pass the check, since hopefully I will soon be no longer associated with a faraway felony warrant. But I think that simply having a previous denial is enough to get you denied again.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I gave them my SSN... my only thought is that Cabelas entered something wrong, but they aren’t about to run a background check again on me just to make sure (I asked).

This ^^^^^ would be my guess as well. Someone at Cabelas fat fingered or misspoke something. I have only ever had one delay. Put my middle initial on the 4473 instead of my full middle name. Once my FFL was on the phone, he guessed at my middle name (guessed wrong). And I was delayed for three days. Lesson learned. Don't take short cuts on the 4473. Fill out everything completely. Zero room for errors...

Happened to my wife at the local Walmarks, trying to buy a shotgun. Dumb bimbo behind the counter apparently couldn't read and entered wife's SSN wrong, then proceeds to tell wife that she must have filled out the form wrong when the background check bombed. They go round and round with the idiot behind the counter refusing to admit she fugged up the SSN, until my wife finally told her to stick the shotgun up her ass and walked out.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've been telling ya'll.................the government is reading what we post here.

If you want to be able to fly under the radar, better start posting down in the food part of this place.

Heh. We are in Big Brother Land, all right .

A friend of ours has Lou Gehrig's disease bad and getting worse. He fell the other day when his wife was out in the yard. His Apple watch immediately notified his wife, EMT, both local of course, and his DIL down in Oregon. He didn't know there was that function on the watch. Nor did I until now.

Then I heard of someone else who figured out how to turn it off, as he was taking frequent falls on ice, and got tired of all the EMT call outs for no reason.

Yet.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Long story , didn't put SSN 3 times = 3 denials, FBI will call you trust me . I know

The FBI called you? Why?

I would be thinking BATF

Denied 3 x I guess spread out over like 6 months. FBI lady was very helpful in resolving the issue. Entire name 2 letters off , birthday same 1 year apart . Height weight same . Convicted felon in CA.
Funny thing is those time I left off SSN was by accident. Have a file of the convict, even look a bit alike 🥴. Given a personal ID number I can use, never have never have forgot SSN number again either 😁.no problems again numbers purchases since. The incident happened 01- 02 range I think. May have wife find few and see ,curious myself.

I didn’t know you had to put your phone number on the form. Surprised I haven’t been denied.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have had a Hazmat endorsement since I was 21.
Now, that includes getting fingerprinted and a Homeland
Security background check every renewal.

A dealer commented that he never had a Hazmat CDL holder
denied. That they always went through fast.

Have that up last renewal, too big a PITA plus $$ to keep since
I'm not hauling fuel anymore. Will see if anything changes.

Hmmm?

Buy a gun to test it?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by steve4102
[
LOL
My son has his permit to carry, here in MN it doubles as a permit to purchase.

He was at Fleet Farm buying a Ruger Blackhawk 44 Mag.

He was filling out the forms when the clerk told him that he could not continue without a permit to purchase. A discussion took place about his permit to purchase vs the permit to carry The manger was called and he was dumber than the clerk.

We punched up the information on the State Website on his phone, they both read it and said, nope you are wrong.

They called somebody in corporate and we were told they could not sell without a Permit to Purchase and the Permit to carry does not qualify.

Idiots

In MN, I'd be more inclined to believe they each were anti gun types....

here in Oregon, we see it here...

I've bought a firearm or two up in the Potlandia area, and had to wait several hours for a back ground check to go thru for me...

get out of Metro Potlandia, it is usually approved in minutes... instead of "usually", its more along the lines of every time..

while others wait, I am always surprised to see my approval returned so quickly.... knock on wood...its getting worse out there, not better...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good news, I guess. I found the source of my trouble - someone with my name with a warrant out in a different state. Different age, but a typo somewhere in the system had me flagged as their guy. It took a lot of phone calls just to find it, and I was glad to find a sheriff's department finally willing to run my name through the system over the phone. It is getting fixed. Now I get to begin the long process of an NICS appeal.

If I find a gun I really want between now and when the appeal goes through, I might try to see if I pass the check, since hopefully I will soon be no longer associated with a faraway felony warrant. But I think that simply having a previous denial is enough to get you denied again.

You know, them denying the transfer is complete BS. mad

When there's similarities, a delay may be expected if information is close. I've even seen some delayed when it wasn't that close.

But to outright deny the transfer is either incompetent or malicious.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
livein western New Jersey, I do all my transfers in Easton, PA. I love the PICS system, 30 seconds and done! New Jersey is 4-7 day wait. Plus, PA is half the cost.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've actually handed the phone to a guy after he got denied and they were able to tell him exactly what was flagged about him...so no guessing on his part...he was able to take care of the issue.

I've seen an alias being an issue before. I'd have run into it myself personally. Not a common last name but dangit if someone in the county I live in has the same first and last name...and the joker stays in trouble. When getting my carry license recently, the sheriffs office called me concerning my name (even though ssn didn't match up), and I had to explain the issue about the other guy to them. They bothered to call thankfully.

Dang joker evidently broke some girls heart and her mom looked up our name in the phone book and ended up calling me instead, made for an eventful evening at the house.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Picked up a pistol yesterday I had ordered in. Local mom and pop shop. Took more time waiting on the customers ahead of me receiving in their new guns than it did for my 'proceed' to come back.

Originally Posted by Sako76
livein western New Jersey, I do all my transfers in Easton, PA. I love the PICS system, 30 seconds and done! New Jersey is 4-7 day wait. Plus, PA is half the cost.

What are these 'costs' you speak of? No costs here, other than the cost of the gun and the sales tax. Or buy online, only cost is the $10-$20 transfer fee the FFL pockets for doing the paperwork.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jmdriver
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Long story , didn't put SSN 3 times = 3 denials, FBI will call you trust me . I know

The FBI called you? Why?

I would be thinking BATF

Denied 3 x I guess spread out over like 6 months. FBI lady was very helpful in resolving the issue. Entire name 2 letters off , birthday same 1 year apart . Height weight same . Convicted felon in CA.
Funny thing is those time I left off SSN was by accident. Have a file of the convict, even look a bit alike 🥴. Given a personal ID number I can use, never have never have forgot SSN number again either 😁.no problems again numbers purchases since. The incident happened 01- 02 range I think. May have wife find few and see ,curious myself.

I didn’t know you had to put your phone number on the form. Surprised I haven’t been denied.

You don't, dealer dies usually adj or a phone number to reach you at . But I doubt it's very had for the fbi to get a phone number for someone.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Interesting on providing your SSN - one would think that would clear up any confusion due to someone else with the same name. The one and only time I provided my SSN, I was delayed for the first time. I haven't provided it since and have not been delayed again. I've never had a denial, but glad you're getting your issue cleared up...

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I think one issue is that warrants aren’t necessary tied to SSN’s in the system. I’m also applying for a VAF number and hoping that helps me avoid this crud in the future.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
More good news for anyone interested in this weird system we have. When I filed my appeal for my NICS denial, I also submitted scanned copies of my fingerprints to the VAF appeal system to get a UPIN number. That was just two days ago, and today I received my UPIN. So I guess things are getting cleared up. My NICS denial appeal has still not been processed, but I guess being approved for a VAF number means at least someone at the FBI doesn't think I'm a criminal. Overall, I'm very pleasantly surprised with the speed of the VAF process.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I fill out several requests for info every week, it seems all they care about is drug use and failed drug tests.

The whole system is a waste of time. Criminals don't buy from gun stores.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Carry permit, no NICS

Same here.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I fill out several requests for info every week, it seems all they care about is drug use and failed drug tests.

The whole system is a waste of time. Criminals don't buy from gun stores.

Mike

I was wondering how many felons try to buy from a gun store? crazy

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,684
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.