Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Does anybody have one of these? If so, I would love to hear your experience (ordering, fit/finish quality, shooting results).

I'm trying to decide if there is enough difference in one of these rifles and a factory Kimber or M70 Extreme Weather to justify the extra expense.

I'm looking for a relatively lightweight, rugged rifle. Likely a .30-06.

Thanks,

SR

HR IC

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It looks looks a nice build, but I think you could come up with the parts and get them to one of the great model 70 smiths that are campfire members and end up with a custom rifle and save a little dough.
That's the route I've gone with many of my model 70 projects.I suspect you could do fine with one of the factory offerings you mention, but it's nice to have a rifle put together just for you if you can afford it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
It looks looks a nice build, but I think you could come up with the parts and get them to one of the great model 70 smiths that are campfire members and end up with a custom rifle and save a little dough.
That's the route I've gone with many of my model 70 projects.I suspect you could do fine with one of the factory offerings you mention, but it's nice to have a rifle put together just for you if you can afford it.

That or find a used rifle that is very similar for far less money.. Something I've done many times. I'd take that approach over paying full retail over something custom built, 9 times out of 10..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve dealt with them and they are a solid company. I think the rifles are worth the money they ask for them. And it is built just for you. I’d love to own one.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that a person could probably round everything up and save some money. I just have to decide if I want to do that, or pay somebody else to do that. It's a bit like hiring a general contractor to build a house, I guess.

I have dealt with them before for parts for my M70s, but this would be a different animal.

SR

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Few comments. First, just the sidebar... Helps if you have the Internet link relating to the products you're talking about! smile Second, I didn't bother to go to the Kimber Website. A Winchester pre '64 aficionado, I'm prejudiced. Concerning the "Pre '64" guy of reference here... I've not done business with him, but have had some communications and have been favorably impressed. While I'd want to know more about his custom rifle line, in terms of to what extent custom... Example, I need long length of pull, and is such is available? The deal for around 3K for any such configuration sounds quite good to me! I suspect he's operating on a small profit margin with such. That said, I don't necessarily see any reason to rebarrel if you've got a good original barre and are sticking with the same or simply rechamber-capable factory barrel. But that gets into the broader picture going beyond this issue. Just to touch upon that...

Target rifles are their own domain. For most hunting rifles, absent something of benchrest and/or slow fire circumstances... Shooting offhand, most decent quality & condition barrels will perform better than the 'average' rifle shooter! The 'margin' of increased accuracy is typically very little. Most hunting doesn't often present that sort of situation. Increased familiarity, practice and honing skills; more important than whoop-de-doo super barrel for most of us. Best from accuracy standpoint absent scope, a longer barrel = increased sighting radius. Also, easier to blame bad shots on an existing barrel than a new, super duper one! smile

It seems the Pre '64 firm is out of stock. I had an email from them few months ago seeking action parts. My suspicion, they're out of suitable actions. Were I interested in such rifle, I'd likely send one of my own non-collector pre '64 barreled action specimens inquiring about building it to such specs. For info, some of the nicest quality Model 70 specimens are in the first decade of production, through 1946. More hand fitting labor, nifty barrel forged sight integral front ramp. Those 'not' factory drilled receiver bridge atop for scopes and most to be found, "altered!", with such. Rendered "non-collectible" but damned useful for such
project rifle. (Also no collectors in whiplash, alleging "desecraton"!) Just instal a scope-friendly safety and perhaps a custom drill mount to match the often non-standard rear bridge hole pattern... Add bluing & stock. Very nice custom rifle; In business.

What I can say about these pre '64 action genre, the receiver and bolt both of chromoly steel. Expensive and many new rifles today not rising to that standard. If the Kimber is, then at least to compare as head to head.

Whew! And just my take.
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Every High Country rifle is built on the ultimate
foundation – the pre-1964 Winchester model 70
action – the gold standard sporting rifle action for
more than 80 years.

Their idea of gold standard is different to many
other folks. Not knocking the product , but one
can buy two Xtremes with plenty change for the
same $$.

What is it you actually want/will be satisfied with
in a rifle ?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'll answer the last question first - 'What is it you actually want in a rifle?'

*** I want a rifle to hunt the western U.S. in a cartidge that is suitable for most big game.
*** I want weather-resistant finish(es)
*** I want a weather-resistant stock.
*** I want something that is reasonably lightweight, but it doesn't have to be extremely light. A 6-7 pound rifle woudl be about right.
*** I want something that is accurate. But it's a rare gun that I've shot that isn't accurate enough for hunting purposes, especially in a .30-06.
*** I don't need iron sights
*** I want the bolt to lock closed.
*** I prefer a rifle that can be unloaded with the safety on.
*** The above two items tend to lead me to 3-position safeties, or rifles like the Browning X-bolt with the bolt unlock feature.
*** I want a rifle that I only have to buy once, not spend a lot of time messing with, and can hunt with for the next 20 years.

I have several nice rifles. Many are blued, many have wood stocks. That's not what I'm after here.

I have several stainless rifles. I'm partial to Ruger Hawkeye stainless guns for their utility.

When I went west in 2019, I hunted with a blued/synthetic .30-06 that was a little heavy for my tastes. Neither the weight nor the finish negatively impacted the hunt at all. I would just like something better for future trips. The next one is scheduled for 2022 (Vancouver Island, black bear), and I expect to go every 2-3 years.

I live in Missouri and have plenty of guns that my family and I can use to shoot whitetails. I'm just looking for something a little lighter and a little tougher for the rare (and special) trips west.

There are a few rifles that check all of the items listed above. In fact, the Ruger Hawkeyes already do most/all of it. But I'm intrigued by a custom build on a pre-64 action. The pre64win.com rifles seem to check a lot of boxes, thus the query to the forum for people who might have hands-on feedback from using them.

SR

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by south_ridge
I'll answer the last question first - 'What is it you actually want in a rifle?'

*** I want a rifle to hunt the western U.S. in a cartidge that is suitable for most big game.
*** I want weather-resistant finish(es)
*** I want a weather-resistant stock.
*** I want something that is reasonably lightweight, but it doesn't have to be extremely light. A 6-7 pound rifle woudl be about right.
*** I want something that is accurate. But it's a rare gun that I've shot that isn't accurate enough for hunting purposes, especially in a .30-06.
*** I don't need iron sights
*** I want the bolt to lock closed.
*** I prefer a rifle that can be unloaded with the safety on.
*** The above two items tend to lead me to 3-position safeties, or rifles like the Browning X-bolt with the bolt unlock feature.
*** I want a rifle that I only have to buy once, not spend a lot of time messing with, and can hunt with for the next 20 years.

I have several nice rifles. Many are blued, many have wood stocks. That's not what I'm after here.

I have several stainless rifles. I'm partial to Ruger Hawkeye stainless guns for their utility.

When I went west in 2019, I hunted with a blued/synthetic .30-06 that was a little heavy for my tastes. Neither the weight nor the finish negatively impacted the hunt at all. I would just like something better for future trips. The next one is scheduled for 2022 (Vancouver Island, black bear), and I expect to go every 2-3 years.

I live in Missouri and have plenty of guns that my family and I can use to shoot whitetails. I'm just looking for something a little lighter and a little tougher for the rare (and special) trips west.

There are a few rifles that check all of the items listed above. In fact, the Ruger Hawkeyes already do most/all of it. But I'm intrigued by a custom build on a pre-64 action. The pre64win.com rifles seem to check a lot of boxes, thus the query to the forum for people who might have hands-on feedback from using them.

SR

Do you handload? Handwerk recently bought a rifle like you describe for less than $1,000.00. He also has many more, like a lot of us here. Hence the reason for my first post...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
op - sounds like you want one of those hill country rifles, so i'd say go ahead and get one. life is too short and money is made for spending. get the thing and enjoy your trips out west. regret is a terrible taskmaster.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
First to observe the old saying, true here: "Always better to have choices." Happily, a "plethora" out there! smile That said, there's also one heck of a lot of hype. Most folks by virtue of being here, reading these forums, able to see through it. None the less, hype out there; the ever "new & improved"...! The 'pre ' Model 70, quietly with nearing a century of 'performance', expectations long favorably settled. Good, solid, dependable, parts yet readily available; aftermarket... Back to the "plethora", term. Most perhaps, as rifle garnering huge respect along with the "discriminating rifleman bearing such!" Nuff said!

South Ridge, I do respect you as one who's obviously put some serious consideration into the subject and with prioritized needs! Great to do. I'd suppose I most agree on weather resistant stocks. That as I'm also with many rifles and 'generally' disdain the synthetics, but clearly from collector context. "Safe queens", hardly 'weather impacting' scenario! smile But for fielding, wear & tear and of course, inclement weather, making complete sense. Subjectively, still don't like them as a genre, although possessing some 'as packaged' and no room to grumble! Reality, tough to contend against!

Where I'd most disagree with your assessment... And as yours supported by distinct trend; omission of iron sights. Weight, hardly an issue. 'Snag issues, hardly more of one, only 'occasional nuisance' category. Cost; units + installation... More so a contention. For a manufacturer making thousands of rifles, a "profit margin" factor of note. From consumer perspective expense potential. Yet free... "Buying into" the proposition widespread, of scopes "replacing" the iron! Yet more implicitly, the 'nothing can go wrong' syndrome! Running counter to a more fundamental factual truth! From scope casualty to simply shooting in poor lighting, close in, snap shooting; etc. Not a perfect world and hardly one exclusively for scope work! The ultimate... Murphy's Law! The proposition that if anything can go wrong, it will and happen at the worst possible moment! Chalking up scope calamity as a bad range day, one matter. In the outback, hunt potentially ruined, quite another! The 'irons', mall insurance even if counter to "cool high tech factor" aesthetics. Iron sights, a one-time purchase, totally cheap insurance policy indexed over life of the rifle! Make do 'barrel tube' sight-plain shooting, dumb alternative. Potentially inhumane results. If dangerous game, that handsome iron sight-free barrel, as your quarry's potential toothpick! Burp!

Just another wordy, my take!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hotsoup
op - sounds like you want one of those hill country rifles, so i'd say go ahead and get one. life is too short and money is made for spending. get the thing and enjoy your trips out west. regret is a terrible taskmaster.

Perfect example of how autocorrect or a couple changed letters can sure change the gun!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I really appreciate the feedback, folks.

I was hoping to get some first-hand feedback from somebody who had one of these rifles, but that may not happen. Not too many out there, I suppose. So be it.

iskra - I know where you're coming from re: open sights. I have a few hunting rifles that have them but I never use them. I do appreciate a good aperture sight and like shooting military guns that carry them, such as a Garand or P14. I also appreciated your comments upthread about the different M70 eras. I have a couple of late-40s guns and really like them. The late 50s / early 60s guns I've had have gone down the road. Most of that was due to stock/checkering quality. I'm still looking for the right pre-war gun to add to my collection.

SR

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by hotsoup

Perfect example of how autocorrect or a couple changed letters can sure change the gun!

Yeah, Hill country and the rifle in question are 2 different beasts...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really appreciate the feedback, folks.

I was hoping to get some first-hand feedback from somebody who had one of these rifles, but that may not happen. Not too many out there, I suppose. So be it.

iskra - I know where you're coming from re: open sights. I have a few hunting rifles that have them but I never use them. I do appreciate a good aperture sight and like shooting military guns that carry them, such as a Garand or P14. I also appreciated your comments upthread about the different M70 eras. I have a couple of late-40s guns and really like them. The late 50s / early 60s guns I've had have gone down the road. Most of that was due to stock/checkering quality. I'm still looking for the right pre-war gun to add to my collection.

SR

South ridge, if you really want one, buy one. Let us know how you like it. You may be the first here to buy one and offer up some first hand info/review. I like Iskra's examples, but he's not always right/correct. Give me a scope in low light over irons any day of the week and 3 times on sunday. Also someone who grew up snap shooting jackrabbits on the run with a heavy 30-06 (sporter m1917) with 3-9x40 scope on top and never having issues is a testament of knowing how to use said optics. Also, make it a habit to buy good quality optics (that for fu ck sake doesn't mean Leupold) and your worries about them going bad will fly out the window. It just doesn't happen like he'd have you believe it does. Like getting hit by lightening twice in a row or something. Buy chidt glass and all bets are off, that's on you. If you want something right now and can't wait for that deal/rifle of a lifetime to come along, buy a rifle from pre 64win. He's a good guy to deal with..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Does anybody have one of these? If so, I would love to hear your experience (ordering, fit/finish quality, shooting results).

I'm trying to decide if there is enough difference in one of these rifles and a factory Kimber or M70 Extreme Weather to justify the extra expense.

I'm looking for a relatively lightweight, rugged rifle. Likely a .30-06.

Thanks,

SR

If you happen to have a Facebook account, they have a very nice page and are pretty good about answering messages. Just a thought.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve met him twice. He did my pre-64 conversion for me. Met his Dad to. Just really good people. Maybe something that’s more important is where they hunt. Steep basins in the Cascades. So a rifle that carries easily, yet shoots well, is kind of built into their mindset. I don’t think you’d be sorry if you had one one built for you.

Their webpage says sold out. But I think they only take a given number of builds per year.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’ve talked to the owner via message several times. He just got me squared away with the right Talley bases. I inquired about a high country build a few months ago and they were pretty full so I am doing one with a local builder. I can tell you that 3k is reasonable given the work and components involved (I’m going with a Brown stock). I think they may have recently made some space for builds and I wouldn’t hesitate to use them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 309coug, 47 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,450
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.