Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Hard to do that on a 15-20 hour direct flight (depending upon headwinds.).

Did a project in Covington, KY for Messier Bugatti, had to go to Lyon 5 times to do as-builts for piping...Memphis to Schiphol. Got to do first class every time as the engineers required it of us so they could sell it to their bosses, that crap was $5K a trip back then...

Going over pretty OK, tried to sleep as much as possible on the way over, first Class is a LOT better than coach for privacy. Coming back after the mandatory two day layover in Amsterdam was not hard to sleep, took most of the trip to sober up. Did have an interesting long conversation with a female gynecologists coming the US for a convention. She regaled me with the Danish take on sexuality v. prudish US norms. Otherwise I put the seatmate on ignore...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
People in general love to talk about themselves or their situation. It might be about their kids, job, money, health, vehicles, house, spouse etc... It doesn't matter the topic, they just want to talk about their lives and they assume you want to hear it too.

Same goes on here. People just sharing their life but using the written post.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’m not a d!ckhead about it.

Always nice. Yes ma’am. No sir.
Just keepin inching back.

If it looks like a losing battle.

Pull out your phone like it’s ringing in vibrate...

“Hey man, what’s up?
What??? #3 went down again?
Aight. On my way. “.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You ever see those old farts driving around with that tag on the front of their Grand Marquis: Let Me Tell You About My Grandchildren.

Those fuggers, I could sell them replacement windows and rooftop power ventilators. hahaha

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Haha.

Never been on an airplane. 😂🤣

Wonderful machines but you ain’t missed a whole lot and I don’t care if I ever get back inside of another aluminum tube.

Helicopters are another wonderful machine and engineering marvel but if I ever fly in another one of those bastards it’ll have Med-Evac written on the sides.

I have spent a hot minute in helicopters in the Gulf of Mexico. Every color and shape.

Some folks didn’t care for them. Good for napping.

We’ve probably plowed the same ground.

Ever fly on PHI in the late 70's, early 80's? My brother was there after he got out of the army.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Haha.

Never been on an airplane. 😂🤣

Wonderful machines but you ain’t missed a whole lot and I don’t care if I ever get back inside of another aluminum tube.

Helicopters are another wonderful machine and engineering marvel but if I ever fly in another one of those bastards it’ll have Med-Evac written on the sides.

I have spent a hot minute in helicopters in the Gulf of Mexico. Every color and shape.

Some folks didn’t care for them. Good for napping.

We’ve probably plowed the same ground.

Ever fly on PHI in the late 70's, early 80's? My brother was there after he got out of the army.

Many times, Hiker.
Air Log, Evergreen, Bristoe and several more that I can’t recall.

Flying with national pilots was always fun and not so fun, especially the Chinese, Indonesian, Thai and Malay pilots. Typhoon evacuations were always a real hoot.

Coincidentally, one of the Gents in our small hunting group is retired from PHI. He and I had crossed paths many times in earlier days.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
My brother got permission for me to fly out there once when he was flying out of Houma. He regularly flew a Bell Longranger that was owned by PHI but painted red/white for Penrod Drilling. He ended up going to Arabian Helicopters and flew in the Persian Gulf for a few years.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My brother got permission for me to fly out there once when he was flying out of Houma. He regularly flew a Bell Longranger that was owned by PHI but painted red/white for Penrod Drilling. He ended up going to Arabian Helicopters and flew in the Persian Gulf for a few years.

Lots of those guys went International, ostensibly to train thenational pilots and thank goodness that they did.!!

One of the pilots we flew with in Malaysia was the pilot that picked up Neil Armstrong and crew after the first moon shot. He was an interesting gentleman.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
My brother used to laugh that if the passengers of his Delta A320 were aware that he was an old, broken down, Army helicopter pilot with just a high school education, they'd all run off the plane screaming...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My brother used to laugh that if the passengers of his Delta A320 were aware that he was an old, broken down, Army helicopter pilot with just a high school education, they'd all run off the plane screaming...

Those guys are some cards !

Was supposed to fly into Venice, La. shorebase in Bell 210 L Model. I sat up front with the pilot and we were talking with the earphones on, beautiful day but we were headed way westward and not northwesterly like usual and we had a full passenger load.

I asked Chuck what’s up? He told me that we were diverting to Morgan City and that his landing position would be unusual in orientation and then told me to stay in the bird and don’t get out .

We landed facing southward and he announced that there was a problem at the Venice shorebase thus the diversion.

The rear passengers got out, got their gear bags and headed to the checkin point when SWAT came out from everywhere in full attack mode. All those guys hit the tarmac and the team went to one guy who was on the top 10 most wanted list.

After securing him we got out and got the rest of the guys back on the bird and off to Venice we went .

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
He told me that he acquire the nickname "Mad Bomber". He had to slingload a big valve out to one of the rigs. He hovered over the landing pad and thought that he felt the valve touch down and lighten his load. So he punched it off. The only problem was that he was several feet up and when it hit, it broke a bunch of the fluorescent lights in the living quarters under the pad...oops!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
He told me that he acquire the nickname "Mad Bomber". He had to slingload a big valve out to one of the rigs. He hovered over the landing pad and thought that he felt the valve touch down and lighten his load. So he punched it off. The only problem was that he was several feet up and when it hit, it broke a bunch of the fluorescent lights in the living quarters under the pad...oops!

I’d imagine that the day sleepers hit the floor running !

That had to be a Fuggin bang on that steel deck.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I was in "pain" the entire day that I flew with him. The night before, there was a Jerry Jeff Walker concert in Houma. Little brother (me) wanted to show his big brother that he could outdrink him. I did. One of the places we flew to was a barge with a large crane that was dismantling a rig that had burnt out. The Gulf had a big swell that day and we landed and just started going up and down, up and down. We took off right before I would've spewed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well F you guys

I’m not gonna tell you about my hot cousin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hiker, you don’t know how much fun you missed.

Big Dave could relate a few stories I’m thinking,

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Well F you guys

I’m not gonna tell you about my hot cousin

Please!
Exceptions can and will be made.

It is a woman,,,right ?
Grins

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hiker, you don’t know how much fun you missed.

Big Dave could relate a few stories I’m thinking,

No wild stories.

Phi, air log / Bristow. ERA. Texas Air. Houston air or something. Red helicopters.

I worked for Rowan back when it was a big deal. They had the rigs, boats. Letrounea , ERA. Yard in fourchon. Sabine.

Rig was big enough for s76.

Was on the rig when we plucked a smaller field chopper out of the water. Wasn’t much left of it. Pilot made it ok.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by kingston

Like I wanted to know you drank Keystone Light.

Now THERE is something to whine about...

I honestly thought this was going to be a post about how amazing it is what personal stuff people tell here on the ‘fire.

Like that dude who talked about all his regret in the female department a while back.

I have to say I don’t ask a lot of people “how ya doin” like I used to. “Hello” is better, a nod of recognition better yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You should check out the ruptured hemorrhoid thread.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I scowl at most people on principle.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 81 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.