Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Originally Posted by GregW
He's 54, 150 soaking wet and a badass.....

Took him only 2 1/2 days. Luckily it was cold...

All that just reaffirms my theory that the bigger a guy is and more muscle they have, the more weight they need to pack up and around in the mountains. Every time I hear folks recommending to newbie elk hunters to gain muscle (as opposed to just getting in better shape) I always think back to my days of hunting with University of Idaho football players. Great athletes they were, but I'll be damned if they could make it a mile up a ridge with only a relatively light pack on. Getting an elk out? They never even could get to the elk to shoot one.

I'm 6' 1" and 155 lbs. I love being a bad ass.

I would tend to agree with the theory but man, I've seen some big guys do some things too, both overweight and muscular. I'd agree with your theory but I think it just comes down to the dude.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.... I think it just comes down to the dude.

In post-boot camp MCT, in 98-degree tempts, we each humped about 90-lbs 23.5 miles up a mountain range; down that range; to the beach; along the beach; and up another mountain range in 5.5 hours. It easily was the hardest thing I ever did physically. After 4 months of continuous, mostly-vice-free physical training, 30% of our unit couldn't do it and dropped out. I barely made it. 6'-5" 250-lb Private Brown, who was all muscle, wasn't really even winded at any point carrying the same load.

I think one variable is that some people's lungs are more efficient at processing oxygen than others. IIRC, aside from the doping, Lance Armstrong's lungs could process something like 30% more oxygen in a certain amount of time than an average male of his same size. Just good genetics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
in response to the OP......

more than I have available!

fortunately, two of our group are 16-17 and in good teenager shape. I hope to test their carrying capacity this October. smile

I was very fortunate on my last bull to have access to my ~23 year old cousin. had just graduated college where he started on the football team (QB). he was about to enter the Navy and become a SEAL. he washed out during Hell Week, but was a helluva packer for me! he carried a ham and a shoulder out in a single haul, bone in. Brutal load. if you ever see this thread....."THANKS TRENT!"

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have hauled a lot of elk out in 45 years. Not once did some young guy offer to help me pack one out or even to help me lift the quarters up on my mule. I have heck of lot of them ask me to pack their elk out on my mules though

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/25/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am 75 and can still pack one out by myself, our pack outs are usually around 2.5 miles and downhill. It takes me a couple of days. I also have young guys to help when they are around.,

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

I think one variable is that some people's lungs are more efficient at processing oxygen than others. IIRC, aside from the doping, Lance Armstrong's lungs could process something like 30% more oxygen in a certain amount of time than an average male of his same size. Just good genetics.

An article I read way back when, about successful Everest climbers, stated that the older climbers processed oxygen better than those younger,. I don't know where the age cut off was, but on also has to think about muscle mass, and strength, which also determine success.

Last edited by elkmen1; 02/24/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkmen1

An article I read way back when, about successful Everest climbers, stated that the older climbers processed oxygen better than those younger,. I don't know where the age cut off was, but on also has to think about muscle mass, and strength, which also determine success.

Interesting. I haven't studied it, but some people seem to fare better than others at high altitudes aside from physical conditioning.

When I lived in Denver metro, I could climb the 14ers without problem. When I lived in Texas, even when I camped out around tree-line for days before doing it, it was much more of a chore.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How many? One and the keys to the 4 wheeler.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've watched a guy rattle off consecutive 400m runs at right around a minute for college football conditioning. Big deal, right? He was 6'6 and 260 lbs, and we seldom ran 400s.

As for furniture movers, the one crew I watched had a couple of average size Samoans, and one guy who went about 6'4 and 275. He could do about double what either of the other two could.

The "I smoked a collegiate linebacker while hunting" stories on here are never not entertaining, along with excuses made to not get strong. Why wouldn't you train to where all your heavy backpacking motions were sub-maximal to the point of not even causing soreness the next day?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by T_Inman

He's 54, 150 soaking wet and a badass.....

Took him only 2 1/2 days. Luckily it was cold...

All that just reaffirms my theory that the bigger a guy is and more muscle they have, the more weight they need to pack up and around in the mountains. Every time I hear folks recommending to newbie elk hunters to gain muscle (as opposed to just getting in better shape) I always think back to my days of hunting with University of Idaho football players. Great athletes they were, but I'll be damned if they could make it a mile up a ridge with only a relatively light pack on. Getting an elk out? They never even could get to the elk to shoot one.

I'm 6' 1" and 155 lbs. I love being a bad ass.

I would tend to agree with the theory but man, I've seen some big guys do some things too, both overweight and muscular. I'd agree with your theory but I think it just comes down to the dude.

Cardio, muscle endurance, muscle strength, bodyweight, flexibility, agility on the terrain at hand, elevation acclamation. Its a combination of all those things and how they fit the current situation. A dude on the tundra packing caribou might smoke your ass but get him on a lava rock hillside at 8000 feet and you do the same to him.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Vek

The "I smoked a collegiate linebacker while hunting" stories on here are never not entertaining, along with excuses made to not get strong. Why wouldn't you train to where all your heavy backpacking motions were sub-maximal to the point of not even causing soreness the next day?

Well, since that was directed to me, I don't believe I ever smoked a college linebacker or said you wouldn't want to do strength training for backpacking. In fact, I believe one of the biggest benefits of training is not being sore, and being able to bounce back day after day.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Tinman is the one who smoked the linebacker, but he’s not the first.

You had the mini-marvel-movers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vek

Originally Posted by Vek

Ha! Maybe....

I for sure was typing faster than I was thinking in my post yesterday and could have phrased it better, however I never made "excuses" or even suggested "to not get strong".
I said "the bigger a guy is and more muscle they have, the more weight they need to pack up and around in the mountains" and that "gaining muscle (as opposed to just getting in better shape)" isn't necessarily the best move to make, as more muscle generally requires more oxygen and energy. There's always exceptions, on both sides of the equation. I think Judman here is one of those exceptions.

Being mentally prepared is the biggest factor, regardless of physical strength or physiology. The second biggest factor I'd guess is core strength. There are some big dudes who can hike and pack pretty damn well no doubt but I do believe the ratio of people like that are fewer overall. That's just my experience. Yours may differ.

I did smoke a tight end though, just not in the way you do.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Vek

I'm just telling you what the movers told me. But you can take it or leave it because obviously, you know more about moving furniture than some guys who only do it for a living.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't remember ever having more then myself and one partner packing elk. I have done several by myself. One thing we did was use 2 pack boards each. That way we could leap frog on the way out and not have to go all the way back the second time. Usually took 2 trips with help and 4 by my self. The last one I did by my self was 3 years ago. But that was only about a 100 yards. I am 74.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Last edited by battue; 02/25/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Seriously though, I kind of want to hunt elk on horseback. Maybe not completely exclusively. When horseback riding in central Colorado, I often have bumped into elk far more regularly when travelling on foot. Also, just seems like it would be fun.

All my really bad experiences when elk hunting involve horses. When it goes well, it's great though.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Vek

I'm just telling you what the movers told me. But you can take it or leave it because obviously, you know more about moving furniture than some guys who only do it for a living.

Watching a 275lb Samoan who does it for a living better than his smaller peers leaves an impression. You are obviously MORE correct, though, because of your movers' anecdotes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a buddy who killed and packed out 10 Dall rams on foot. He does the leapfrog pack routine. The one he killed on his 60th birthday he packed 28 miles to the truck.

I’m not that tough but I can haul a hindquarter and backstraps and loose meat in one load or both fronts. Normally though it isn’t necessary since I’m usually not in any great big hurry.

Me and horses don’t go together, my horsehide belt is the only use I have for them. Did meet a couple up on the mountain a couple years ago with a string of llamas carrying out a nice 6x6. The guy was nice enough but the wife and the llamas seemed kinda ornery.

I 6’4” and 205 for whatever that’s worth

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vek
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Vek

Watching a 275lb Samoan who does it for a living better than his smaller peers leaves an impression. You are obviously MORE correct, though, because of your movers' anecdotes.

I’m not taking sides here, but IME samples of 1 are usually not reliable bases for forming general opinions.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.