Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
While widely accepted it’s also stupid. I think that may be what he’s getting at.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
While widely accepted it’s also stupid. I think that may be what he’s getting at.

Those 222 Rem Mags seem acceptable enough.. it is a magnum grin

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by beretzs

But only with “premium” Hornady SPs....

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Why is it stupid, it is a good solid axiom, if you are asking that means you NEED general info
If you are an experienced Shooter / Hunter then you have your own opinion that is formed over the years

Slaying Orcs
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

But only with “premium” Hornady SPs....

Of course. Could be a once in a lifetime elk.. No sense in skimping. cool

Last edited by beretzs; 02/23/21.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gssixgun

Why is it stupid, it is a good solid axiom, if you are asking that means you NEED general info
If you are an experienced Shooter / Hunter then you have your own opinion that is formed over the years

I am not answering for him but I use impact velocity along with a bullet of fair enough construction and weight to get through bone and vital tissue. Energy is hard to measure since a ML or 45-70 will never make enough energy but they work just fine when you apply the right bullet. Just my thought on it.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Multitudes of elk are killed every year with arrows, round balls, and various other projectiles that carry nowhere near 1500fpe. Bleeding holes through important body parts are what kills stuff, not some magic amount of foot pounds.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

I am not answering for him but I use impact velocity along with a bullet of fair enough construction and weight to get through bone and vital tissue. Energy is hard to measure since a ML or 45-70 will never make enough energy but they work just fine when you apply the right bullet. Just my thought on it.

Okay lets try one more time since I am a 45-70 shooter also and my Marlin GG shoots my handloaded 405 gr OT Lasercast at 1450 fps which means that I am WELL within that general rule of 1500 ft/lbs out to a Black Timber Elk Long Range shot of 125-150 yards

PS; I already mentioned that the bullet must get into the Vitals with my first post so you are now simply repeating what I already said, much appreciated

Last edited by gssixgun; 02/23/21.

Slaying Orcs
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've killed elk w/257Wby/100TSX, 270Win/140TSX/150ABLR, 300Win 200TSX/200NP.

The elk shot with the 300Win showed a LOT more reaction to the hits than did elk shot w/the smaller options.

I used to be a "I need the 300Win/200gn bullet for everything" guy. I certainly don't need the 300 for everything, but I really do like it for elk.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Multitudes of elk are killed every year with arrows, round balls, and various other projectiles that carry nowhere near 1500fpe. Bleeding holes through important body parts are what kills stuff, not some magic amount of foot pounds.

Do I seriously need to explain this to you ?? I mean really, if I am going to give classes on Hunting / Terminal Ballistics you are going to need to start paying me

Slaying Orcs
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll play.

55 gr swift.

😀

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Do I seriously need to explain this to you ?? I mean really, if I am going to give classes on Hunting / Terminal Ballistics you are going to need to start paying me

How does a 405gr bullet out of a 45/70 or a .50 caliber muzzleloader kill an elk if launch speed is 1250fps and only producing 1400ftlb? What is the approximate BC of a flat nosed cast bullet designed to safely function through the tube magazine and OAL restrictions of the Marlin 1895? At what distance does it fail to generate 1500ftlb?

If you’re still believing 1960’s hogwash that’s put out by the same brain trust that make caliber restrictions based on outdated bullets and equipment made obsolete decades ago maybe you should be attending class rather than teaching it.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

How does a 405gr bullet out of a 45/70 or a .50 caliber muzzleloader kill an elk if launch speed is 1250fps and only producing 1400ftlb? What is the approximate BC of a flat nosed cast bullet designed to safely function through the tube magazine and OAL restrictions of the Marlin 1895? At what distance does it fail to generate 1500ftlb?

If you’re still believing 1960’s hogwash that’s put out by the same brain trust that make caliber restrictions based on outdated bullets and equipment made obsolete decades ago maybe you should be attending class rather than teaching it.

Ahhhhh You can't read ???

I gave you the info above try reading it all, the only thing you need to search is the BC of the Bullet and you can run the numbers and learn something

Look I realize I just upset the Old Dogs on the forum, but don't make the mistake that I don't know more than you Trust me I do
And the more you post the more I am realizing I stepped into Egoville and I am not talking to experienced Hunters and Shooters

Slaying Orcs
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We hunted off of mules, shots were not long as a rule. I hunted cows with 243 and 100g partitions, no problems. We shoot all year long.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I mean wow one guy that doesn't know the recommendation of the state he lives in, and another guy that switches to Arrows and Muzzleloaders because he doesn't understand the subject matter at hand
What is this amateur hour ???

Please tell me there are some smarter people on this forum

Slaying Orcs
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You’re the one who brought foot pounds into the discussion. I merely pointed out two legal weapons that have been repeatedly proven to kill elk, neither of which generate the magic 1500ftlb

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I mean wow one guy that doesn't know the recommendation of the state he lives in, and another guy that switches to Arrows and Muzzleloaders because he doesn't understand the subject matter at hand
What is this amateur hour ???

Please tell me there are some smarter people on this forum

Yep, it's amateur hour for sure. I think I've taught the CO Hunter Ed class to around 1,000 students now, so yes, I know what CP&W has to say about foot-lbs of energy. CP&W also advises people not to go hunting in the mountains alone, which is another "widely accepted fact" that I routinely ignore.

The funny thing is, kinetic energy as a benchmark for killing an elk is widely accepted mostly by people who get their information from books.

And the more elk a person has killed, the less he/she relies on kinetic energy as their indicator. That's a fact.

Plus, you never answered my question. My question had nothing to do with CO CP&W or how "widely accepted" 1,500 ft-lbs is. My question was, what is 1,500 lbs based on.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
You’re the one who brought foot pounds into the discussion. I merely pointed out two legal weapons that have been repeatedly proven to kill elk, neither of which generate the magic 1500ftlb

Not my number
Not magic
Do I even have to explain the term IG: aka "In General" I understand that you don't know much about Ballistics but now you want lessons on basic English too ???

You do know what aka means right ???

Remember you started this so don't go waving the victim flag next

Slaying Orcs
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Judman
Varies by state, some don’t have a minimum, Whatda guys think?

Jud my man, you ain't asking the right question.

I have a pair of 243's that have killed 15 elk. With 100g Partitions.

It's the bullet.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W

Multitudes of elk (and deer) have been left to die a slow death from inadequate weapons / bullets and pisspoor shot placement. If the shoe fits, wear it. GFY in advance!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 29 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.