Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Anything special about the run on Ruger 77/22 (22 lr only) bolt actions?
It seems like they’ve gone up 75%

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't think of anything 'cept they are truly a nice rifle that's been out of production a couple years. I do truly wish I had not sold my last one. Likewise wish I had a .22 mag just like it.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They quit making them?

OP,
Have you been living under a rock??

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At their MSRP, they weren't worth it. That's why they didn't sell enough to justify continued production. Accuracy was mediocre overall, and better accuracy could be had for equal or less money than their street prices. The rifles are very well built and feel like a quality piece. I got incredibly lucky with the two that I have now (one mag and one LR) They are surprisingly accurate and I got them for less than $400 bucks when they were on closeout.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LMAO those would be the only 2 you haven’t had problems with. How’s the cost compare to your Nosler?

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing special except the anti-Ruger crowd like to talk crap about them.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Had a 22wmr that would shoot 3/4” groups. You can still get an A-Bolt .22 or browning 52 repro for the same price or less. Plenty of kimber 82’s or K22’s in the same price range. Tikka T1’s for less. Sako Finnfire, steyr zephyr, Remington 541 & 504, Weatherby mark XXII...

Lots of better options.

Last edited by jackmountain; 02/23/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never thought of it as an investment. Had to shim the bolt to make mine attain expectations. Thousands of Beldings Ground squirrels have bought the farm over the years, and it does as well as my Anschutz.

Do plan on picking up a CZ 457 in the near future just because I want one.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/24/21.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My last was a SS RSI in .22LR. Lovely little bugger, but only an average shooter, 3/4” or so with good ammo IIRC. I got the trigger down to an acceptable level and shimmed the bolt, but it only accepted a .002 shim, so was pretty tight. I let it go to finance my 10/22 CSC, which so far shoots at least as well and is more fun. It’s also is easy to swap optics around on with its integrated rail. 77/22s are kind of a pain.

My son has had one of the Varmint/Target model for over 20 years. Good shooter, but not exceptional either with hunting ammo anyway. Heavy too. Still, a nice, full-sized rifle, heirloom material now. I put a Timney sear in that one long ago, and shimmed the bolt a couple years ago. Not sure what effect the shim had, as I haven’t shot it myself. That one has had a Bushnell Trophy 4-12AO on it, a solid bargain RF scope btw, from the beginning.

Good rifles, and generally nice ones too, but I think the current CZ 457 is a bit better, easier to get, and certainly cheaper than the cultish 77/22. My 455 SS, now in walnut, looks nearly as good as the RSI too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
the cultish 77/22..

Cultish? Have you ever been to RFC and seen the CZ whacks?

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by huntsman22
the cultish 77/22..

This.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
the cultish 77/22..

Oh yeah. Can’t stand all that snobbery and half-assed expertise. Not a GFY to be seen. Only time I go there is to look for specific stuff, and that’s damn seldom.

Shoulda said cultish prices. The guns are great. They’ve just become priced out of my interest range. That RSI had the best fit and finish I’ve seen on a Ruger in a while. Checkering was perfect. Hope the guy who bought it is enjoying it.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 77/22 RS that I bought used in '85 or '86 for about $250 if I remember correctly. Put a simple little Bushnell 4X rimfire scope on it, had a smith do a $50 "trigger job", and haven't changed a thing since. Great little rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same operating system and wing safety as my 77 Mk ll, so what's not to like? So many of the bolt action .22's remind me of kid training rifles and their smaller bolts and breeches while fine for a .22 just seem miniaturized for a grown up rifle. I've never run mine for ultimate accuracy, but no target of opportunity has made it out alive and that's good enough for me.

Pappy348, you didn't by chance drop ship that RSI to an FFL in Wisconsin last year did you?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful rifles, hit and miss in the accuracy department since they came out. Of the half dozen or so I know that owned one, mediocre at best and no one was happy with their accuracy.

Maybe 30 years ago, was in what was at the time, the premiere gun shop in our area,, when a customer came in with his Ruger in the box and demanded his money back. Long time customer, so they refunded his money. Had a chat with him and one of the employees, while he waited a few minutes for an owner to appear. Guy said he loved everything about the rifle, except how poorly it shot. And for that kind of money, it wasn't acceptable. He had spent hours at the range with it, trying a wide variety of ammo and nothing suited him.

Then there was the club member several years ago, that bought the SS heavy barrel/laminated stock 22 mag.

Leupold target scope, trigger and bedding job, still couldn't put five inside an inch, rested @ 100 yards. Day I encountered him he was trying some new poly-tipped ammo in it, hoping he'd found the Holy Grail. Nope. Asked me to shoot it. Best it would do was about 1-1/4". To say the guy was disappointed, would be a gross under statement.

I like Ruger rifles and have owned several. Just not these turkeys. They hit the mark with the 1022 and the RAR, so there's that?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I picked up a lnib box one a few years ago even after hearing all the accuracy issues. I didn't buy it for that, I bought it for having a well made rifle that feels like a real gun. I have true target 22s if I want to shoot tiny groups. The 77/22 is plenty minute of squirrel.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DupePA: The first day (February 2,003) I took my heavy Ruger 77/17 HMR V/T to the range, I was stunned by its accuracy!
Literally stunned - as I had been shooting rimfire Rifles of all calibers for right at 50 years by then and this Rifles accuracy was NOTEWORTHY in my opinion.
I have posted about this many times in the past on this forum and others.
First of all I had the good sense to strap on plenty of scope power (Weaver 4 to 16 power variable) and then I waited for a dead calm day to test my then brand new Rifle.
All four groups (5 shots apiece at 100 yards!) were WELL under 1.00"!
And for the first time ever with a rimfire Rifle I made a true 1/2" grouping at 100 yards.
One of those 5 shot groups I made with Hunting type ammunition at 100 yards measured .502"!
Any... and I repeat ANY, moving air, will play hell with rimfire bullets that are travelling 300' to their target!
Again I do not know if the folks YOU refer about had enough scope power on their Rifles or if they waited for perfect conditions to test their Rifles?
I also own a pair or Ruger 77/22's that provide me with very pleasing accuracy!
One is also a heavy barrel 77/22 V/T (again with plenty of scope power to more reliably test a Rifle/ammunition combo again a Weaver V-16) and the other is a Ruger 77/22 All Weather (boat paddle).
I have NO complaints what so ever with any of my Ruger 77 rimfires.
As another testament to the Ruger 77/17 HMR I now have at least 42,000 (forty two thousand!) rounds down it's barrel and I have not noticed any accuracy diminishment to date!
I have babied that barrel and when the Rifle was new "we" did NOT know how often to clean it - so I chose to clean it every box of bullets (50 rounds) then after a few years I went to cleaning it (carefully with the proper rods, jags and bore guides) every 100 rounds - over the last several years I have moved out my cleaning interval to every 250 rounds (5 boxes).
I am NOT saying "I" am a better shooter than you or your quoted friends but I am a patient and properly equipped shooter looking for accuracy - this includes waiting for the best conditions.
I will add this - I am aghast at the prices that Ruger 77 rimfire Rifles are commanding these days - I would like to buy some more!
I have two friends who own Ruger 77/22 Magnum V/T Rifles and they are VERY pleased with their accuracy and performance in the Ground Squirrel Colonies!
I have shot these Rifles and they are a pleasure to shoot with their excellent triggers (may have been worked on?) and their superb magazine systems.
I contend that YOUR blanket contention that Ruger 77 rimfires are "Turkeys" is unwarranted.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Ask me about my Ruger 77/17 Hornet and how happy I am with it when you get some time.
And this - I have shot along side a couple of friends with Ruger 77/17 WSM's and they performed very well also.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Killerv: You make an EXCELLENT point with your assessment of the Ruger 77/22's accuracy potential.
One inch groups at 100 yards or one inch and one quarter groupings are adequate for 98% of what a 22 L.R. can do or should be asked to do!
Again I just wish so many people were NOT so willing to pay SO MUCH for Ruger 77/22 rimfire Rifles.
I like'em.
Hold into the wind
varmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
Same operating system and wing safety as my 77 Mk ll, so what's not to like? So many of the bolt action .22's remind me of kid training rifles and their smaller bolts and breeches while fine for a .22 just seem miniaturized for a grown up rifle. I've never run mine for ultimate accuracy, but no target of opportunity has made it out alive and that's good enough for me.

Pappy348, you didn't by chance drop ship that RSI to an FFL in Wisconsin last year did you?

I let my LGS handle the GB sale. Don’t know where it went. I’ve retired from shipping guns.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Agreed with VarmintGuy. As someone with personal experience, almost all Ruger 77/22 are good enough for squirrel hunting. The Ruger made barrels are good enough for targets. If you happen to find a lesser example, send it to CPC for a tune up.

To the OP's question: run a magazine through the 77/22, then try the RAR, then a Marlin 25. You'll feel the differences. Some 77/22 have a V-block barrel for quick changes between caliber (22 and 17) or field barrel and heavy barrel. Then there is the American made and Ruger backed aspect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.