Print Thread
Hop To
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
My neighbor has one with no rust or evan a scratch on it.It has 125,000 one owner miles on it and is the King Cab.He is retiring July 1st and wants a new 4 door pickup before then.Are these a decent ride?I just want it for a hunting ,fishing truck.Maybe pull a small boat or my UTV with.I know nothing about them.Thanks ahead,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If the price is right buy it and don't look bacK!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Am currently running a 2000 king cab 4X4 with 224K miles as my daily driver.
Don't know the differences over the 8 years.
My 5th Datsun/Nissan PU, nothing major has ever happened with any of them.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There ARE some things you have to watch for, the front wheel bearings, the transmission cooler, and the sending unit for the gas tank (gas gauge). I had all those things taken care of with my 2007 model under warranty.. Other than that, nothing else gave me issues Nothing at all. No dramas, and I like that.

I liked it enough to buy a 2016 Frontier, which I'm driving now.

You wouldn't have to worry about the transmission cooler with the 6 speed, of course, but they did have a recall on the radiators, that one was probably replaced already. I've had zero issues with the 2016 model I have now. Both of mine were 2WD, because I don't need a 4x4.

The mileage sucks, but that V-6 is a dandy motor otherwise. Plenty of pep if you need it, but you'll get better mileage from an F-150, most likely. Still, I like the size of the Frontier, it's just about perfect for our needs and wants. I have never had an issue in snow even without 4x4, but I drive carefully and pay attention to road conditions.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 02/24/21.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 2007 version of the same truck except it had an automatic transmission. I loved it. I used it to pull and launch a 20' center console boat and it did so with ease, but it is pretty flat around here. Only issue I had with it was it seemed that the sheet metal was a little thin and it would take a dent in the parking lot pretty easily. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

Harry
IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Have that exact truck, purchased from my dad for $1000.00 after it would not pass inspection due to a rusting frame. Can't license it so use it as my side by side UTV, 4 wheel drive, seats five with air, heat, radio/CD. Use it around the property for firewood and such. Only thing I don't like is at has the turning radius of a semi truck with trailer. Bottom line, if it resides in Wisconsin you may want to check the frame. If no issues with frame rust buy it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by NoPa
Have that exact truck, purchased from my dad for $1000.00 after it would not pass inspection due to a rusting frame. Can't license it so use it as my side by side UTV, 4 wheel drive, seats five with air, heat, radio/CD. Use it around the property for firewood and such. Only thing I don't like is at has the turning radius of a semi truck with trailer. Bottom line, if it resides in Wisconsin you may want to check the frame. If no issues with frame rust buy it.

WTF do they use on PA roads, anyway? The frames are fully boxed-in, which should help a lot. I know Toyotas have had issues with frame rot, but I've never seen it with the five Nissans/Datsuns I've had, and I've been drving them since 1977.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I drive a 2012 frontier, bought new and have put 275k miles on it. Have nothing but good to say about it. Regular oil changes, and suspension parts replaced as I use it heavily on rough roads. Otherwise, the only trouble I've had is with the Evap system, something to consider if you need to pass emissions. But I got mine to pass last year. It runs cool, always starts, always engages the 4wd, never been stuck. Mileage is just okay, and the tank is kind of small. I'd absolutely buy another one, once this one dies, but I don't expect that any time soon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
have been selling them for 20 years, only issue they are KNOWN for is rear ends, and that is only on trucks that were used to pull often, drivetrain is bullet proof...

guns to me are like legal crack
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
have been selling them for 20 years, only issue they are KNOWN for is rear ends, and that is only on trucks that were used to pull often, drivetrain is bullet proof...

guns to me are like legal crack
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 270jrk
I drive a 2012 frontier, bought new and have put 275k miles on it. Have nothing but good to say about it. Regular oil changes, and suspension parts replaced as I use it heavily on rough roads. Otherwise, the only trouble I've had is with the Evap system, something to consider if you need to pass emissions. But I got mine to pass last year. It runs cool, always starts, always engages the 4wd, never been stuck. Mileage is just okay, and the tank is kind of small. I'd absolutely buy another one, once this one dies, but I don't expect that any time soon.

I have a 2013 bought new. Only issue is the damn gas tank filler vent. Have not had it fixed but need to. $1000 bill from dealship to do it. Like the looks of new 2021. May end up with one of those before too long.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I saw a news article about some dude in Chicago that had put a million miles on his he ran a delivery service. Nissan gave him a new truck and took his in to study it.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No salt rust in WI?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
No salt rust in WI?

I'll take a guess that they use calcium chloride like they do here. Just a guess though.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My 2006 4x4 crew cab went over 200K miles before I sold it. Replaced rear wheel bearing and motor mounts. That was it. Mine was an automatic and downhill in 4 lo was like a billy goat. You could let off the gas and the tranny would automatically manage the descent. It was wild.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by centershot

I have a 2013 bought new. Only issue is the damn gas tank filler vent. Have not had it fixed but need to. $1000 bill from dealship to do it. Like the looks of new 2021. May end up with one of those before too long.

Yeah the gas tank vent is a pain. I just bypassed mine for a few years and put a filter on to keep the dirt out. Had to replace the old dusty parts to pass emissions. Piecing it together and doing the work myself saved a lot of course but it wasn’t free.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Huntz
My neighbor has one with no rust or evan a scratch on it.It has 125,000 one owner miles on it and is the King Cab.He is retiring July 1st and wants a new 4 door pickup before then.Are these a decent ride?I just want it for a hunting ,fishing truck.Maybe pull a small boat or my UTV with.I know nothing about them.Thanks ahead,Huntz

I love my '12 King Cab V6 six-speed. 90,000 miles and running like a top. Comfortable enough to drive 12 hours at a time out to Wyoming, 9 hours to Maine, etc. Enjoy!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better than Charlie.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They make a six soeed

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 10 invisible), 1,273 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.