Hop To
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Think, Apple, Google, Amazon, and Facebook as the major players

and we are the product!

I should be able to copyright myself and get paid royalties.

Surveillance capitalism
From Wikipedia,

Surveillance capitalism is an economic system centred around the commodification of personal data with the core purpose of profit-making. The concept of surveillance capitalism, as described by Shoshana Zuboff, arose as advertising companies, led by Google's AdWords, saw the possibilities of using personal data to target consumers more precisely.[1] While industrial capitalism exploited and controlled nature with devastating consequences, surveillance capitalism exploits and controls human nature with a totalitarian order as the endpoint of the development.[2]

Increased data collection may have various advantages for individuals and society such as self-optimization (Quantified Self),[3] societal optimizations (such as by smart cities) and optimized services (including various web applications). However, collecting and processing data in the context of capitalism's core profit-making motive might present a danger to human liberty, autonomy and wellbeing. Capitalism has become focused on expanding the proportion of social life that is open to data collection and data processing.[3] This may come with significant implications for vulnerability and control of society as well as for privacy.

Economic pressures of capitalism are driving the intensification of connection and monitoring online with spaces of social life becoming open to saturation by corporate actors, directed at the making of profit and/or the regulation of action. Therefore, personal data points increased in value after the possibilities of targeted advertising were known.[4] Consequently, the increasing price of data has limited accessibility to the purchase of personal data points to the richest in society.[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveillance_capitalism

I found this thread interesting in this regard (among others)

Digital Manipulation is Fracturing Democracy

https://www.surveillancecapitalism.com/

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/27/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
When big brother can watch anything, all manner of evil is possible. We need to demand that our states put their foot down in many areas. Gov DeSantis in Florida has cracked the door and we need to force our states to walk through. States could also enact legislation like Poland where lawful content can not be censored. All businesses, like it or not, are treated as "places of public accommodation" and big tech should be forced to do the same, since they use the public square.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the idea of limiting their access,
but cosidering,

The gross amount of money being collected,
The profit being made by honest, (and dishonest) use of this info,
bought and paid for politicians,
sincere gov, agents wanting access in just cases, (and the less honest)
And the people who want this data for future nefarious uses (conspiracy
theory stuff, wish feels more real daily)

Don't see any positive changes in the future.

Instead, I'm seeing more and more use of tech being approved
by the courts to infringe on our rights.

Look into the Game cam uses by Tn. Deer cops on private property.

Or the cases of GPS trackers put on cars (without any warrant or I'd
on the trackers) and the car owners than being prosecuted for
removing them when they are found.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Just provide the social media venue and people will flock to it in droves.

There’s no act so private that it doesn’t cry out for applause.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Be aware of their products and portfolio companies and don't use them. By using their products you are agreeing to give up your data.
YouTube included.
It's not really free..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's called "Galloping headlong into Nineteen Eighty Four." We're already there partially. Rewriting history, requiring politically correct speech and thought, rigged elections, tracking of us individuals from not only the cradle to the grave, but from the erection to the Resurrection. Etc., Etc.

Each and every day we get closer and closer. mad

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
They sell data for a lot of reasons. For instance, my granite countertop guys bought a deal where they get a message with your cell phone number anytime you enter a kitchen section of a local Lowe’s or Home Depot. Get another message when you enter their parking lot if you have been to a Lowe’s or Home Depot kitchen section prior to arriving. They pay all of 250 bucks a month for this.

My LGS owner buddy pushes ads for his store to any phone entering the local gun show or a nearby one, every time they are in town.

We are being farmed. For money, and power. They want to tell us what to eat, and when we get sick from eating it, they tell us what medical procedures and products to choose. Pretty sweet setup, if you have no soul...

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 02/27/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
We are being farmed. For money, and power. They want to tell us what to eat, and when we get sick from eating it, they tell us what medical procedures and products to choose. Pretty sweet setup, if you have no soul...

^ ^ ^ This.

Funny that this topic came up at this moment. I just posted this on FB, in conjunction with this meme:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Hard to believe that everyone is so dependent on or addicted to facebook that they're willing to censor themselves out of fear of being suspended or banned.

Why? What does facebook do for you? How does it actually benefit your life? Do you think you're their customer? If so, you're sadly mistaken. You are not their customer, you are their product. They make their money by selling you to advertisers, without your consent. Your information. Your reactions. Your habits.

This is not a community, it is a business. The only standards it holds to are the standards of maximum profit on minimum investment. The pretty speechifying and feel-good slogans are bullshit. You know it and I know it. If you fail to call bullshit when you're wading through it hip-deep, you are not only a coward, but have lost one of the most important aspects of your humanity.

Mark Zuckerberg is often quoted as saying, "Move fast and break things." What he's breaking is the very fabric of human society. Think about that the next time you're checking the comments section, the next time you get in a pissing match with some faceless stranger. Facebook makes more profits from you reacting negatively, and its algorithms tailor your content to evoke such a reaction to the maximum extent possible.

F u c k you, facebook. I will not be silent. And that's not a smile on my lips. That's me showing you my teeth. Behind your veneer of civility and togetherness you exhibit a dog-eat-dog mentality and business model, so you should understand that very well.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Social Dilemma is a decent program about some of the stuff going on.

Old Gray Wolf, if you don't have the GPS turned on on your phone, they might not know you're in Lowe's or HD.

Yes, if your phone is on "THEY" can tell where you are by triangulation from towers, if there are enough towers around.

There aren't where I live.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya

and we are the product!

It's where the consumer becomes the consumed.
but let's be honest many willingly partake and

Not much different to sucker imbeciles that
have been signing up to religions for millennia.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes,

That's the main $ maker of Google, aka. Goober.
Nothing is private if they can get past your fire wall/ security.
Same goes with the information that you provide your state, yes even DMV DL information and anything connected, DHS and many depts that monitor these posts and correspondence, Facebook, the list is sooo long. They sell S.S. #$, the grocery store loyalty cards make it easy to link to your assets, buying habits, etc and sell/ trade the information for profit even though they say that it is private and would never do such a thing. On and on.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geedubya,

You got it right from the first sentence.
This sounds creepy, but its true.
The Devil is behind it ultimately.
He manipulates, motivates, and controls mankind through the root of all evil. He temps through the lust of the flesh eyes and pride. Most of humanity goes along like puppets. Thebig corporations you mentioned and others are led by his fallen ones to control and manipulate. Ultimately, he wants their (everyone's) souls.
This song is a secularists view that has a glimpse of the big picture.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 02/27/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 1,945 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,872
Posts18,497,567
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.