Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
He may, he may not. Guess what I’m gettin at is I can rem action, and a snout for the cost of the mcbros cheapy, for the $800-$1000 customs I can have it fitted chambered ready to rock with $$$ left over by one of, if not the best smith in Washington.

Slobob, you’re right it is about choices, reminds be of folks that go out buy a new truck, drive it over to le schwabs and get it lifted with new 38’s and wheels, then order stickers for the back window to let everyone know they “hunt”... never not funny.. 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman
He may, he may not. Guess what I’m gettin at is I can rem action, and a snout for the cost of the mcbros cheapy, for the $800-$1000 customs I can have it fitted chambered ready to rock with $$$ left over by one of, if not the best smith in Washington.

Slobob, you’re right it is about choices, reminds be of folks that go out buy a new truck, drive it over to le schwabs and get it lifted with new 38’s and wheels, then order stickers for the back window to let everyone know they “hunt”... never not funny.. 😂😂

Finding the “cheap” Remingtons isn’t super easy these days either.

Agreed on the truck, tires and stickers comment. Seems like the more stickers on the truck the less they like to walk too far from them grin

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Almost all of the R700 I have built on only needed the receiver face trued and the lugs lapped. I have only one that got the full treatment from PT&G it is very smooth with an oversized bolt. I have only had one extraction issue with a 700, the extractor shaved metal off the rim and then wouldn't feed. Had to polish off the sharp edges and then no issues. The bolt stop seems like a weak point. I screwed one up by some how over stressing the small spring when reassembling it. The bolt would occasionally just drop out of the action. Did this one time while getting ready for a shot at a deer and the bolt fell into sugar sand. I wiped it off and shot the deer but what sand that remained screwed up a Jewel trigger. In a perfect world the recoil lug would be integral with the action or at least pinned.

Lets see receiver face trued, bolt lugs lapped, replace bolt stop, bush firing pin, replace trigger, replace bottom metal, true and pin recoil lug or replace, nitride action and bolt or bolt head. Ok how much did I save going with the R700? This without replacing or sleeving the bolt or adding Borden bumps. Many customs come with a rail or scope mounts so another $60-100 in favor of the custom. Are we there yet (cost wise)?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higginez
I bet Beave was more than $575 into the action he had squared, bolt fluted and slicked.

Foo Sure. The 223 AI wasn’t full build expensive. But, it was a smidge over a couple grand having the side bolt release added, along with a cut barrel, bottom metal, AG Handle w/custom paint, etc.

The 204 Rug and 20 Practical were all reasonable.

223AI

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

20 Prac

204 Rug

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Try er out beave, have your smith spin it up with a good snout, without any work done to the receiver, betcha won’t be disappointed

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

Finding the “cheap” Remingtons isn’t super easy these days either.

Agreed on the truck, tires and stickers comment. Seems like the more stickers on the truck the less they like to walk too far from them grin

They’ll get em rollin again here soon Scotty. Love the Walmart specials for builds. 😛

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Martyf
It's $575 for a Mack Bros Evo Stainless action.

20 moa rail
Indexed recoil lug
Nitrided bolt
Threaded on and pinned bolt handle that's threaded for knobs
External bolt stop

Probably don't have to bush the firing pin either.

Not a hard sell really.

Those do look interesting, I (like most) wish they were good to go with barrel nuts.

On these custom actions, I assume no, bottom metal, trigger, mag box, spring and follower, and recoil lug??

Last edited by dale06; 02/26/21.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I see no reason to "true" one, so that extra $400 for a "custom" is lost on me......

Obviously ! All your screw together rigs are *Piles* 😜
Whatcha got for sale these days my brother in S/A

I have a 7-08, a 338-06 Ackley, and the 6 PRC I've thought of peddling, but I can't bring myself to do it.

The missing, and operative word here is "Yet".

I seen to recall a conversation where the term 'forever gun' came up. Any of the above 'Forever Guns'? laugh

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't seen a production 700 rifle in the past 6-8 years that's had any primary camming, so be aware of that when you're looking for a donor. When evaluating one for a possible donor, it's the first area I check.

And the 'bare' actions that were out there for $350-$400 were even worse and in more ways than the extraction issue. Being tweaked along the long axis as much as .025-.030 is not uncommon for these. A pal picked one up and sent it to Gre' Tan (Greg Tannel) for his usual work. Greg, who I really respect, advised him that the action was so far off in every area that the machine work alone to get it straightened out would be more than a new lower-end clone unit.

Believe me, some of the 'custom' clones aren't too shiny once accurate measuring starts. wink

Like everything, do your homework. wink

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I see no reason to "true" one, so that extra $400 for a "custom" is lost on me......

Obviously ! All your screw together rigs are *Piles* 😜
Whatcha got for sale these days my brother in S/A

I have a 7-08, a 338-06 Ackley, and the 6 PRC I've thought of peddling, but I can't bring myself to do it.

The missing, and operative word here is "Yet".
I seen to recall a conversation where the term 'forever gun' came up. Any of the above 'Forever Guns'? laugh

None of mine are forever guns, obviously, as I just sold the 7-08.... cry

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I didn't know better I would say Jud is calling every custom action user a flat brim hat, jacked up truck with stickers wannabe's ....... hmmm glad I build off Mausers and Savages... smile

I have been eyeballing those Bighorn actions though, they are kinda like RemSavages? would building a custom on that put me in the poser category?
I suspect if I went with a carbon fiber barrel in 6.5 Creed my manhood would be in question.... wink

Send it...... lol

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
🤭😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Factory 700 works fine. 90% of accuracy comes from a properly chambered barrel.

3 Bs

Barrel
Bullet
Bedding

Then fundamentals of Marksmanship and wind reading.

Last edited by lapua6547; 02/27/21.
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
I bet Beave was more than $575 into the action he had squared, bolt fluted and slicked.

Foo Sure. The 223 AI wasn’t full build expensive. But, it was a smidge over a couple grand having the side bolt release added, along with a cut barrel, bottom metal, AG Handle w/custom paint, etc.

The 204 Rug and 20 Practical were all reasonable.

223AI

20 Prac

204 Rug

🦫

nice looking rifles!

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lapua6547

3 Bs

Barrel
Bullet
Bedding

Oh you’ve really done it now brother!! 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Originally Posted by lapua6547

3 Bs

Barrel
Bullet
Bedding

Oh you’ve really done it now brother!! 😂😂

Here to help brother Jud!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You clowns obviously don't understand the Savage floating bolt head...... uber accuracy.....

just kidding smile

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Originally Posted by irfubar
You clowns obviously don't understand the Savage floating bolt head...... uber accuracy.....

just kidding smile

What I do understand is a factory 700 G prefix action and a PVA or CBI prefit barrel will shoot better than most people's skill level.
Only way I would go custom if I were a serious competition shooter. For hunting, recreational shooting, banging steel etc. a 700 is perfect.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by lapua6547; 02/27/21.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

I’m still intrigued by doing a build off a Tikka action.

🦫

I have two customs built on Tikka actions. Side bolt release, adjustable trigger, sako extractor, modular bolt handle... and both actions were straight and required no "truing"

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
What’s with the side bolt release?? I mean fuuck, it’s something you you gotta push when/if you clean. Same amount of effort regardless... extractor don’t mean shiit, 805 tuned trigger better than any tikka I’ve ever felt period, and you get a bolt with a shiit plastic shroud... oh and don’t forget the stellar pile o shiit rings, stock and great magazines they come with... tikkas are a real bargain!!! Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,519
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.