-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I do not have any experience with CZ rifles and do not know anyone who has ever owned one.

I am being offered a new CZ 17 HMR in wood w/blue barrel for $470 out the door. I am interested in comparing this rifle to other models but would have to travel almost 100 miles to get to any serious stores that may have a selection to compare with.

I have read the recent report on GUNLIST comparing several other models and something tells me I should pass on this rifle.

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out.

Dave

The toughest thing about doing nothing is knowing when you are finished?
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have zero experiance with the CZ's, on the other hand I have had excellant results from both Marlin and Savage small caliber rifles. I have an 81TS .22 Marlin and an 83TS .22mag Marlin, both are tack drivers for me. I now have a Savage 30R17 (clone of the Stevens Favorite) and their 93R17F bolt rifle in .17, out to 150 yards they are 1" groupers with a 4X on the bolt and a 9-12X40 target scope on the single shot.

The 93R17F was only $185.00 plus tax and the 30R17 was under $300.00 with close out BSA target scope.

The 93R17-F: Bolt action, blued free floating, button-rifled barrel, with detachable 5 shot magazine.

The 30R17: Blued full octagon barrel, single shot, lever action falling block, inertia firing pin system. No sights. Scope bases included. Walnut finished hardwood with straight grip stock and Schnabel tipped forend.

Last edited by T LEE; 04/29/03.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dave,

I thought long and hard on the CZ before buying my Ruger 77-17. I've read some good things about the CZ's over the years and would have probably been happy with one. Two things led me to purchase the Ruger, American made and parts availablity was one. The other was the Ruger scope mounting system, to mount the CZ properly would have cost another 50 dollars or so. Good luck in your search, there are a lot of good 17's out there.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T Lee and X Jarhead

Thanks for the input on the CZ rifles. I agree with both of you, I probably would be happy with it but I think I will wait on one of the other brands to become available. I think I will make the 100 mile drive to the nearest town that has a selection of gun dealers so that I can put "hands on" to make my decision. The price is not the most important thing to me. I hate myself when I wish I had spent a few extra bucks and got the one I really wanted and then have to peddle the old one and usually lose money in the end.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you are willing to spend the bucks and plan on shooting it for years, look at the Anshutze.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

IC B2

323 Offline
Never fired a .17 but quite a bit of time with CZ's. Don't sell these rifles short.As far as out of the box accuracy, the ones I have seen and owned, would not be beaten by comparable models of their competitors. In a word almost unbelievable. I like the dovetails on the action for scope mounting. You may find the bolt throw on the 527 action a little long which requires the scope to be mounted higher than you may like. Also the safety on the 527 LUX is backward to what you may be used to. I would think with the American style ( .17) that may not be the case. One of the big pluses with CZ is the wide range of wood quality one finds. A little leg work and phone calls can yeild some stocks with great figure for no extra money.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I think the price is a little high. Go to http://www.jgsales.com/ It shows $349. I have a 452 in .22 and a 527 in hornet, and would not even consider another maker for a rimfire. They are the next best thing to a Kimber or Cooper for a lot less money. The Ruger may shoot as well, but I doubt it. The C.Z. is a real rifle. When I pulled it out of the case for the 1st time at the range they asked if it was a Model 70 Winchester. It is the best .22 I have ever owned, and I have owned Anschutz.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I looked at the CZ and it does look good... My local dealer has one for $375... I am hot for a 17 hmr, and have been trying to find the Savage BVSS Laminate stock, SS w/heavy barrel.. but can't find one.. all sold out.

Should I go ahead and try to get a better deal on the CZ.. The dealer told me I could get the BVSS for about $265.. BUT.. none are available.. I just want to punch paper .. other choices I might consider??? oh!.. what to do? Gotta spend what little I have before the bill collectors come for it!!

Thanx for any help..

Al..

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to all for the comments on the CZ. I ended up buying it for $450 out the door and that includes scope rings and 2 boxes of ammo. Can't bring it home for 10 days so I am now on a quest to get a good scope for it by then. Once I get it home and the scope mounted etc, etc, I will be sure to post here my comments on how it shoots.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
10 DAY wait for a rifle! Where do you live?

Old cat turd!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You might want to look at the Marlin for that kind of money. They were all over the last gun show here in Fl for under 300.00. The Savage 93R17-F: Bolt actions with detachable 5 shot magazine were walking out the door for 175.00 tax and all!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will try to locate a Marlin.. I have found the Savage you mentioned but was leaning toward the SS with Laminate stock, heavy barrel..

I see that DAVEYREKA bought the CZ.. perhaps he will add some of his reasoning for choosing that gun.. I was offered one for $375, but I never even heard of CZ.. so I did not buy it.. It sure did LOOK good .. nice wood with some figure in it.. I recall someone here saying they shoot as good as a
Kimber out of the box..

I really appreciate the sharing of info here... it sure helps ..

Thanx again..

Al...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T Lee and Alrunner

TO : T Lee, to answer your question and this should help you to see the problems I am up against, I live in Yreka, California about 30 miles from the Oregon border. The gun laws here suck at best and we can not buy guns in Oregon (no sales tax) unless you are an Oregon resident. Unfortunately I don't have any connections there or I would do that.

TO: Alrunner, I went with the CZ after reading an article somewhere (Gunlist I think) about a comparison of Cooper, Anshutze and CZ. I know before anybody yells at me that there is no comparison between a high dollar Cooper or Anshutz. I am not in the income level to afford those weapons. I am not knocking any of the other brands either. I would have loved to compared a Ruger, Savage, Marlin and others but just not able to do that without getting the wife in an uproar about me getting another rifle. (DON'T WANT TO GO THERE OKAY)

I bought the CZ because of the nice wood, beautiful blue job and nice action. The real clincher for me was the trigger. I later found out my frindly gunsmith did a trigger job on it because he said it was just unacceptable to him from the factory. I had to pay sales tax of 7.25%, $20.00 to register it, he included the rings and will mount and boresight my scope and gave me 2 boxes of Remington ammo. He has got to make a living so I don't mind him making a couple of bucks off me. He has given me some very good deals on a lot of guns over the last 2 years.

I get to bring my rifle home on the 15th and hope to get to the range this weekend. I will post follow up as to how it shoots soon as possible.

Sorry for the long post.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, sometimes ya just do what ya gotta do. Please let us know how it shoots Sir, I for one am interested. BTW, sure am glad I live here in Fl, at least we have easy to live with gun laws!
It is nice to have a decent dealer, I will spend a bit more for service myself. AND, profit is not a dirty word. They gotta make a living too.

Also, I am curios about the Remington ammo, it's the only one I haven't been able to try yet. The Hornady does shoot better in my guns than the CCI, but the CCI is the most available here.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I found a CZ that the dealer will sell me for $360.. plus tax..which seems like a decent price..

I have been looking for the Savage BVSS.. but can't find one.. I've been given a price as low as $265.. another for $285.. but neither dealer can locate one.. I like the laminate stock and the heavey SS barrel ...

Although I never heard of CZ before getting interested in the .17 HMR.. I may go for it.. let me know how you like yours.. You did mention a trigger job.. What did the dealer do to the trigger? Does the CZ come with an adjustable trigger?

Man.. getting out 2 cents outta this thread!

Thanx!

Al

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked up the CZ today, and I'm impressed... Nice wood..bluing, etc.. sweet little gun.. it is..

I had a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 that I received as a gift awhile ago and mounted it using Millet rings.. I had to use the Medium rings to allow for the bolt travel and to provide ample clearance for the safety . ,,, which is different than I am used to......but it's OK for me.

I shot a few rounds thru it at 60 yds.. while sighting it in.. and it's just fun to shoot.. Can't say much about accuracy yet, as I only had time to get it close.. but.. had no problem keeping the last three within 1/2 inch.. I plan to get to the range ASAP, tweak it a bit more, and try at at longer distances.

The trigger could be a little lighter .. The manual states that the trigger is adjustable, but I have not played with it yet.. I paid $360 for the gun, plus tax.. had to pay $11.95 for the Hornady ammo.. just ain't much of it around here yet. Hopefully the price will come down as more becomes available..

Get yours yet? Keep me posted..

Al

Last edited by Alruner; 05/16/03.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Alruner,

Way to go on the CZ purchase. I brought mine home last Thursday. I decided to put a Simmons 4.5 X 15 Adjustable Objective scope on Millet high rings and had it bore sighted. I hope to get to shoot soon but the weather has not cooperated (very windy out and cold here this weekend).

My smith said that the trigger job he did was a new trigger spring and then he adjusted the creep out? I don't know how he did that? He gave me a plastic bag with the original spring and a small ball bearing of some kind that he removed and/or replaced. Bottom line is I have a sweet trigger of about 2lbs and I love it.

I will post my feelings once I get to the range. I am now searching for ammo without having to resort to the internet bidding routine and paying the big bucks for what should be readily available through local sources.

Dave

I think you'll love your CZ. You can find tons of information on CZs and the 17HMR at Rimfirecentral.com. Good luck,Tom.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have an American in 17 on loan from CZ right now. Fired 50 rounds yesterday. 5 - 5-shot groups at 60 yards averaged .504 inches. Also fired a couple sub MOA groups at 100y.
These were fired with a Leupold 4-14X AO. Was not very interested in this cartridge until I played with it. May have to keep this one.

Also played with the same rifle in 22Mag today as well. Accuracy was not quite as good with most ammo (nothing over an inch at 60 yards)but the only 5 shot group I fired with WW HPs was rihgt at 1/4 inch.

Dog gone it...may have to keep that one too.

I agree the triggers are not the best I have seen but triggers can be fixed.

Have experience with a number of CZs (.17, 22LR, 22Mag, 223, 7.62x39 & 6.5x55) have yet to find one that was not sub moa capable with some form of factory ammo.

I like em!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 37 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,759
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.