Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
As said above, Browning designed the Remington model 17. Beautiful little shotgun. 5.75#. Everything I love about the Woodsman applies to the 17 as well. Ithaca stole the design and waited for the patents to expire, but made cost cutting changes to it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gunzo
The Ithaca 37 was a Remington 17 that Browning designed in '15. Remington moved on to the 31 & Ithaca grabbed the 17 design.

JMB died in '26 while working on the Hi-Power design. Another designer who's name escapes me finished the Hi-Power.

The other designer was an employee at FN. I also forgot his name. But he was working with John Browning on it when Browning died.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"Hey, it's a Browning." Is Colt anywhere close to Browning in that regard?

I think their name recognition are about the same

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Did Browning ever make a poor firearm?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Grizz:

Before I knew any better, I accumulated a small cohort of Browning A-bolt 1 and 2's; calibers range from .22 to .375 H&H.

I'm not denigrating anyone or dismissing their experiences with A-bolts that differ from my own, and I know that for myriad reasons the A-bolts aren't everyone's cup of tea; I'm just sharing my experiences with them. Over the past 25 years, I have shot many thousands of rounds through A-bolts, have taken them on a lot of hunts that encompass a lot of different country, have loaned them out to friends and acquaintances for hunts and trials, and have yet to experience the first problem of any sort with one. Some of my A-bolts were bought second hand and were well used and ill cared for before coming my way.

I mostly started in them because they had a good assortment of left hand offerings and because I really like their tang safety that locks the bolt down. I do a lot of upland hunting with O/U shotguns, and taking tang safeties on and off has become a near unconscious evolution for me. I kept buying them because of the safety arrangement in reference, the low bolt throw, the floor plate mounted clip, and the high level of out of the box accuracy I've experienced with them.

I now have a lot of different bolt action rifles from a number of manufacturers, but I still do a lot of hunting and shooting with A-bolts. To me, they (now the X bolt) still present a good option for a person who wants to buy a gun, scope it, and expect very good out of the box accuracy and function with minimal added accoutrements and/or gunsmith processing. I've handled some of the newer X-bolt pro's and hells canyons, and they've shot and functioned exceedingly well right out of box.

But, perhaps I'm missing something? It has happened a time or two before.

Last edited by Starbuck; 02/28/21.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Some say the A-Bolt fits the bill.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

AB3 is quite the Piece-o-[bleep]
Recoiless was stillborn
Newer T-Bolts aren't great

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If all I had was an Abolt to hunt with , I wouldn’t be real mad.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am partial to Browning Hi-Powers.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Model 2000.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

In Japan, they call it A-bort.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Run don't walk as fast as you can away from any Browning A Bolt...POS

I've not had bad experiences with A-Bolt rifles.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ya, I got a thing for Colts, An AR, 1911's, Snakes guns, 1860 Army, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Gen. SAA and a Colt reproduction Dragoon. I also have a Browning A-Bolt, left hand short action 7mm-08 with a BOSS, usually wins the Turkey Shoots on site-in days.
One of my Colt SAA's was sent to the Browning Brothers Gun Shop in Ogden Utah in 1920, when John Browning was still alive, always wondered if he handled the gun.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"The older I get, the better I was"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
John Browning and Samuel Colt were both very innovative men in their time, and both changed the forward progression of both this country and the world. There is a lot of mystique it both of their names.
They were indeed legends.

Last edited by gregintenn; 02/28/21.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I dont know had an a bolt....killed alot of stuff with it......whats to say it was a poor firearm......bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a Colt....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

a Browning....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Snazzy pics, sweet guns!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gregintenn
John Browning and Samuel Colt were both very innovative men in their time, and both changed the forward progression of both this country and the world. There is a lot of mystique it both of their names.

Yep. Colt wasn't so much a gun designer as idea man. He came up with some original ideas for self-indexing revolving pistols (cocking the hammer also turned and repositioned the cylinder to align a fresh chamber with the barrel), based on how he saw certain machinery on steamboats operate, then hired gunsmiths to turn them into real working revolvers. Browning, on the other hand, was both an idea man and a gunsmith who could literally transform an idea of his own for a gun into an actual working gun with his own two hands.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Yep. Colt wasn't so much a gun designer as idea man. He came up with some original ideas for self-reciprocating revolving pistols (cocking the hammer also turned and repositioned the cylinder to align a fresh chamber with the barrel), based on how he saw certain machinery on steamboats operate, then hired gunsmiths to turn them into real working revolvers. Browning, on the other hand, was both an idea man and a gunsmith who could literally transform an idea for a gun into an actual working gun with his own two hands.

J.M. Browning actually made wooden functioning, non-firing of course, models of his lever guns for the Patent Office. I think both men were over the top human beings and innovators, but I don't think the Browning firearms ever took a slide in manufacturing quality that some Colt's have over the years, at least in respect with some of the 1911 pistols which by coincidence were John Browning designed. For a few years, the Colt 1911 was a very loose fitted handgun. Some of this was by original design and some by slacking standards.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Thought the Browning .380 - 4” was somewhat crappy. Think it was called the Model 10/71 if memory serves.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, Anaconda, 14 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,491
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.