Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have a project in mind and wondering if it’s possible.
I have a very clean vintage 1966 Remington 700 BDL Standard contour with open sights in 6mm Remington and I would like to have a switch barrel with the same style factory barrel in 308 Win.
I have the 308 barrel.
Is it possible to do this without any alterations to the stock?
I want the rifle left with all the original finishes.
Thanks for any input.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This is a popular modification using a “Remage” nut. The bedding has to be opened up a little to accommodate the nut.

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Yes Sir I’m aware of the Remage nut but I don’t want to stray from the original platform. I want to keep it as original as possible but be able to change calibers.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Kp321
This is a popular modification using a “Remage” nut. The bedding has to be opened up a little to accommodate the nut.

I have done a couple. I didn't need to alter the stocks but neither was an original wood stock. If needed, it should be very minor.

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have done a couple. I didn't need to alter the stocks but neither was an original wood stock. If needed, it should be very minor. [/quote]
I

Is there an alternative to the Remage nut?
Would there need to be a second bolt?

Last edited by fe1; 02/28/21. Reason: Duplicate
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by fe1
I have a project in mind and wondering if it’s possible.
I have a very clean vintage 1966 Remington 700 BDL Standard contour with open sights in 6mm Remington and I would like to have a switch barrel with the same style factory barrel in 308 Win.
I have the 308 barrel.
Is it possible to do this without any alterations to the stock?
I want the rifle left with all the original finishes.
Thanks for any input.

I would not modify that rifle. 6mms are getting hard to find. Why butcher a rifle with a higher value than you would have with a chopped-up rifle?

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Yes Sir that’s exactly why I don’t want to alter anything other than wanting to have a switch barrel.
I have the 308 barrel that is practically new except it’s 55 years old identical date codes and original open sights.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Without a remage nut, I don't know that you'll be able to do it just because of likely headspace issues.

May or may not be OK. A gunsmith can correct me if I am wrong...but on factory barrels, the headspace is set by the shoulder and tennon length. Barrel gets screwed on tight and the headspace is what it's supposed to be.

The remage nut allows you to properly set the headspace.

There's always arguments on m700s vs clones. But that was a big selling point on a custom clone to me. I can call Kelbly's and have a barrel made...or a few other vendors...barrel ships to my house and I screw it on. The factory 700 actions just don't have tight enough tolerances to do that. Sometimes it works but probably not worth figuring it out. Unless you have a barrel vise and action wrench already.

There's another issue. Possibly marring the barrel and/or action. Yes..if done properly and the barrel comes off easily, you shouldn't leave marks. But some m700s are known to be tough to get off.

Good luck! It'd be a neat endeavor if it worked easily...but chances of that are slim unfortunately.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have a mod 700 switch bbl. My gunsmith pinned and silver soldered the recoil lug to the receiver, each bbl is then head spaced to that. I have a 6.5 cm, a 308 and 30 06 all using the same bedded action. A bbl change takes about 2 minutes. All three bbl are .5 inch @ 100 yd capable.

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
I have a mod 700 switch bbl. My gunsmith pinned and silver soldered the recoil lug to the receiver, each bbl is then head spaced to that. I have a 6.5 cm, a 308 and 30 06 all using the same bedded action. A bbl change takes about 2 minutes. All three bbl are .5 inch @ 100 yd capable.

I have open sights on both barrels.
Who is your smith?
I’m looking for someone that can accomplish the job.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That sounds like the deal!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I actually have 2 mod 700’ s done this way, a short action in .223 and 300 blackout and the other one I mentioned. The only problem I have encountered is having to re zero the scope when you change bbl. I was going to look int the quick change mounts, so I could just keep a scope for each different caliber. I have heard that they maintain their zero after removing and replacing the scope.

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I actually have 2 mod 700’ s done this way, a short action in .223 and 300 blackout and the other one I mentioned. The only problem I have encountered is having to re zero the scope when you change bbl. I was going to look int the quick change mounts, so I could just keep a scope for each different caliber. I have heard that they maintain their zero after removing and replacing the scope.

Any of the Barrels have factory open sights?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
No, all scoped. Having open sights would likely add all sorts of problems. I’m pretty sure the bbl’s are landing in the same spot when I tighten them up but with bbl sights I could see problems with factory mounted sights. Now if you used new bbl’s and set your head space you could then install new sights and have them on top of the bbl, instead of tilted to the side. Hope this makes sense.

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Yes Sir it does make perfect sense.
I’ve been told it can be done but not certain.
That’s the reason for my post, trying to locate someone that can do it if it can be done.
I appreciate your thoughts and confirmation of what I expected.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
OP,
Have a competent 'smith fit/clock the Bbl's of choice & headspace accordingly.

Have the recoil lug pinned w/o the ignorant silver braze option as mentioned above.

I have several 40X's,700's,Sevens w/ multiple switch Bbls for their dedicated receivers.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Dans40X
OP,
Have a competent 'smith fit/clock the Bbl's of choice & headspace accordingly.

Have the recoil lug pinned w/o the ignorant silver braze option as mentioned above.

I have several 40X's,700's,Sevens w/ multiple switch Bbls for their dedicated receivers.

Thanks for the reply Dan
Please keep in mind both the barrels I have have open sights mounted so can it still be done?
I’m trying to find a smith can do the job and not having any luck so far.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
It can still be done once the second barrel is indexed and headspaced correctly. The only problem is, with every removal and installation, the joint is going to loosen until the barrel goes too far and the sights are no longer on top. A half degree is readily noticeable. As far as headspace is concerned, there is no real issue but indexing can be problematic. GD

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Yes Sir that makes perfect sense but I doubt I’d be changing barrels very often.
I would just like to have the option if the occasion arises to need to swap calibers say from varmint to elk hunting.
I’ve always had the need to feel unique. lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look to the WTO switch lug.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,887
Posts18,497,893
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.