-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey everybody, I had planned on savin up some money this summer so i could buy a new rifle, but then i figured since i already have a bunch of rifles, why not get a bow and try bow hunting. What is a good entry level bow, preferably 50-60 pound draw weight?? What kind of arrows and broadheads do you suggets? And also which Climbing tree stand have you had the best experience with? I will be mainly hunting whitetail deer, but may also go after bear. So any suggestions and input are going to be wicked helpful. Thanks.
Brock

MARLIN 35Rem. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First of all you need to decide what you want to spend. This bow hunting can easily go $1000 + in a real hurry. A good entry level bow would be one from Martin, Reflex, PSE, or Bear/Jennings. Right now the most bang for the buck is probably the Fred Bear TRX. The bow is a great quality fast quiet smooth shooter. You will need a peep sight. As for sights, stay away from moveable sights. They are useless unless you have a rangefinder and with hunting there is not always time to use it. Good sights are made by Vital bow gear, Impact archery, Montana black gold, Cobra, Trophy ridge, and toxonics. Dont skimp here. If you get a cheap sight you wont be able to see the pins during the magic hours. A good sight will cost around $60-$80. I reccomend the whisker biscuit arrow rest. The Quick tune drop away rests are also good choices. Simple is better here. Just make sure what you get is quiet. The less moving parts a rest has the less chance of some strange noise spoiling a hunt. One quick thing about peeps. DO NOT get one that has rubber tubing. That stuff will put out an eye in a heartbeat. For arrows get carbon. But make sure your arrows weigh around 6-7 grains per pound of draw weight. IE if you shoot 60lbs you arrow with fletchings, nock, and head should weigh between 360 and 420 grains. Too light an arrow wont penetrate and could damage your bow. For broadheads try the G-5 montec, muzzy, thunderhead, or the crimson talon. For a release I reccomend a scott. Tree stand wise thats a nobrainer. Ol-man grand vision.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.