Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Exploring all options for a grill. Always wanted a Big Green Egg, but just don’t know if I’ll use it enough to justify the expense.
I enjoy grilling but it’s often after work and don’t want to wait hours for my meal. How long before the BGE is ready to rock and roll from a cold start?

Buy once, cry once.
GB4

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Less than 30 minutes once you learn the controls!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmmmm.............I've heard of them. laugh

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imagebam.com]

There are a lot of factors as to how long it takes, but it mainly has to do with how much wind there is. If I'm in a big hurry I use my electric leaf blower and have it blazing in just a few minutes. Without the blower I'd say the average time is about 20 minutes.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Based on recommendations I finally bought one.

Only had it about 1 month but have used it probably 15-20 times. Haven't fired up my propane Weber since the arrival of the BGE.

For some reason I had it in my head that kamados took a lot of dicking around but that is not the case.

Maybe 30 minutes to be grilling whereas it might take 10-15 minutes for the Weber to reach similar temp(say 400F).

Imagine it will be less time as the outdoor temps rise.

Highly recommend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 of them. You won’t regret your purchase.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a Vision Kamado instead of the BGE, but I love it. Did a killer brisket yesterday.

I keep my Weber for quick things like burgers, though the Kamado really doesn’t take that long to heat up. Just a bit more fussy than turning a knob and hitting a switch.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
New charcoal, 4 starting tabs, ~15min to ~600 degrees for searing. Assuming steaks, 2-3Min/side, shut down the bottom air, open up the top and let them finish bathing in smoke until they reach the internal temp you want. Thickness dependent it's 6-10min for med-rare for us.

If I'm getting coals going for a low/slow cook I get a much smaller pile of charcoal very hot then dump in the rest of what I need. Leave the bottom wide open and the cover open for 5-7Min and you're coals will be going enough to stay lit for a long time. Tamp the air down until you have the internal temp you want. Give or take I have the bottom about 25% open and the top about 1/3-1/2 open for 250-275 for hours and hours.

FWIW, I have the XL size. Winter adds less warm-up time to the BGE than it does my 3-burner Weber Genesis.

Last edited by horse1; 03/01/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought one in the 90's and cooked a porterhouse on it last night. laugh

It's been great. It's seen a lot of use and a little abuse. I had to replace the hinge assembly after a hurricane, and we have taken it fishing in the gulf a few times. Seared tuna 100 mi. offshore about 15 years ago. Good times...

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Exploring all options for a grill. Always wanted a Big Green Egg, but just don’t know if I’ll use it enough to justify the expense.
I enjoy grilling but it’s often after work and don’t want to wait hours for my meal. How long before the BGE is ready to rock and roll from a cold start?

Oh, you’ll use it. Grilling, smoking, baking. You’ll be trying out different cuts, rubs, and hardwoods in myriad combinations. Get ready for a new obsession.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This is great news to me to as I had someone give me a BGE. It is 10 years old and the rings/hinges were rusted out but I picked some replacement parts up locally for $140. I'm going to be setting it up tomorrow and hope to build a table for it this weekend

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wife picked up a PitBoss knockoff for $200 on clearance a couple falls ago. Use it all the time.

A stainless Kingsford charcoal chimney with a wadded up portion of the charcoal bag is enough to get it lit good. When I have them burning well in the chimney they go to the cooker. 20 minutes or so to be cooking.

If weather conditions or whatever just aren’t getting a good burn started, I’ll break out the Echo leaf blower. Forced induction is amazing.

Lots of tricks and tips on the web for air sealing the various openings. If you control the air you control the temps.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Take a look at the Primo grill. It will cook both direct and indirect at the same time.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks guys. I knew I “needed” one for so many years for a reason. Lol
I had no idea you could get one going that quickly.

Buy once, cry once.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Primo is great. I've had mine about 10 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my 250.00 walmart grill lasted 15yrs.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have been considering getting a kamado type grill for a while now...think I’d go Primos rather than BGE as they seem to rate more highly in a broad range of reviews. What makes it hard for me is the perverse pleasure I get in doing a great job on everything from steaks to pizza to pork shoulders and whole turkeys on the Weber kettle grill I bought for $99 ten years ago.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Love love love mine. Medium is fine if you’re just cooking for two. However, if you’re cooking for more, explore a Large or XL. I sold my medium two years ago and got a large...just right for me.

I also sold the table I had and bought a (can’t think of the name of it) rolling stand and the two wings out to the side. Takes less room and it’s mobile. Highly recommend that.

Go for it

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Yes, if mine broke today I'd have another tomorrow. Weve actually been using them since the mid 1990s before they became cool. They went through a price change in the late 2000s. The komodo joe though sure looks nice, better hardware for sure and about the same money.

Once you figure out how to get the temp right you are over the learning curve. I just keep a 5 gallon bucket under the cleanout, cleanout the small loose stuff, throw a little newspaper in and top off with charcoal. I let it get up to the temp I want, adjust the vents to hold for a few minutes and you are ready to go. Now if searing a steak, just open every thing up and you'll be ready in no time.

If you are cooking for a family, go ahead and get the xl. It wasn't available when I got mine years ago.

Plate setter is a must.

Dont' go cheap with the charcoal. BGE, although I heard covid has affected their charcoal output is good stuff....I'm really liking the Fogo thats out now too. The cheap cowboy and stuff from lowes, real sooty and small pieces, avoid.

Last edited by killerv; 03/02/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Love love love mine. Medium is fine if you’re just cooking for two. However, if you’re cooking for more, explore a Large or XL. I sold my medium two years ago and got a large...just right for me.

I also sold the table I had and bought a (can’t think of the name of it) rolling stand and the two wings out to the side. Takes less room and it’s mobile. Highly recommend that.

Go for it

Make sure it's not too flammable. Or keep it away from the siding.

My neighbor lit his house on fire when his BGE started a cedar stand his BIL made on fire and it was up against his house.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The Creedmoor of barbeque.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,899
Posts18,479,316
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.