Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any of you guys on here have experience with the 81?

I'm looking for the "best" tool to take apart the barrel assembly.

I'd like to get something that's tried and true.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my advise is don't take it apart if for just ghits and shiggles.
https://www.gunlistings.org/michiga...on_model_8__81_barrel_disassembly_wrench

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you are real handy you can make one using the pics.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
my advise is don't take it apart if for just ghits and shiggles.
https://www.gunlistings.org/michiga...on_model_8__81_barrel_disassembly_wrench

Not looking to just fool around, but I've got a suspicion it needs cleaning and lubing.

Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah it isn't something you do just to get out of doing the dishes.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
By the looks of that rifle that you have, it is in very good condition. My advise is to remove the forearm. Separate the barrel assembly from the reciever. Now seperated, you can grab ahold of the breech end of the barrel and pull it. (Compressing the spring). Put a little oil down outside the barrel from the breech end, and hand cycle a bit to get oil on the spring. Let it sit a bit muzzle down to let some oil flow. Put a little oil on bolt and other points in reciever. Call it good. It's easy to bugger up these rifles by taking them apart. Only good reason to do so, is when a spring or something is obviously broken, or it has been hunted in the rain. It's your rifle, your choice.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Billc
By the looks of that rifle that you have, it is in very good condition. My advise is to remove the forearm. Separate the barrel assembly from the reciever. Now seperated, you can grab ahold of the breech end of the barrel and pull it. (Compressing the spring). Put a little oil down outside the barrel from the breech end, and hand cycle a bit to get oil on the spring. Let it sit a bit muzzle down to let some oil flow. Put a little oil on bolt and other points in reciever. Call it good. It's easy to bugger up these rifles by taking them apart. Only good reason to do so, is when a spring or something is obviously broken, or it has been hunted in the rain. It's your rifle, your choice.

I've already stripped all but the barrel assembly and gave it a good cleaning.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

I'd rather disassemble, clean and lube the barrel assembly than just hope it's ok.

It wasn't the hardest rifle to put back together, and the barrel tutorial videos seem similar.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
The takedown tool is attached to the barrel. I had one of these in .300 Savage. Considering the very coarse front sight, my rifle was quite accurate with cast and jacketed bullets, even if one empty out of five would strike in the forehead area.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There was an Anvil video on this recently. I'll put it in below. It's somewhere in the later section of the video.
Anyways basically what is shown is that you can use a flat sheet of metal to turn the nut in the front of the barrel jacket when you pull the barrel itsself back.
Always thought the Model 8 was a really great design. I wonder if it could be accurized with one of these O Rings like H&K uses in the Mark 23.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Original barrel nut wrenches are rare. Someone was making repro ones up to 5 years ago. Was $50 , Looks sort of like a winchoke wrench. Also someone was making a wrench that is circular, with nubs on it to fit onto the nut. Have to use a die holder from a tap and die set to hold this one. This one pops up on ebay from time to time at $62.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.