Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
IF a true SHTF with power out for over 6 months say with an EMP from a major solar flare from the sun or a nuke exploding 250 miles above Kansas, the US government did a study. 100 million Americans would die within that first 6 months with complete power outage. People dependent on power for dialysis, simple heart surgeries like installing splints. The average amount of food stored by people in big cities is only 3 days, average suburb is 2 weeks, average person in the country 6 months. No power means back to 1900 where 90% of the people lived in rural areas without power. The Amish will do fine. People in the country with gardens and maybe chickens, rabbits, maybe a cow or a draft animal can do ok. A major EMP will take 6 months to a year to get back on. Food canning and processing would be the first on followed by refirgeration. Game animals will probably cease to exist for people in the country or small towns will kill them for food. Fish will be in short supply also. A two year supply of canned and dry foods constantly rotating out the oldest is the only real way to get through something like that. Having a solar cooker for Fresnel lens for cooking would help if firewood is in short supply. Having a large propane tank full would also help. Having a supply of rainwater, or a shallow well would be nice for a potable water source. Having a water filtration system with spare filters would also be nice. Check out some prepping websites.

FYI, our power grid is in pitiful shape nationwide. It needs a few million dollars to EMP proof it, and have enough spare transformers and switches, especially large ones for such an occasion. We also need increased capabilities to supply the power, and not necessarily wind or solar, but nuclear if you don't want coal and gas. More people, more electric cars, more appliances, more electronics, all add up to an extreme strain on the power grid. No one in congress seems to care, too political. However Newt Gingrich warned us about the power grid 15-20 years ago, as well as journalist Ted Kopel who wrote a book about it.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Things will get grim fast. No electric power, no food shipped, no mail, no internet, no fuels shipped. No nothing.
We can get by for a while with our stockpiles, but.

What exactly is your "shtf" scenario? Why is there no electricity or fuel?

People like to speculate about these sorts of scenarios alot and while they certainly aren't impossible, I don't think they are all that likely either. As with most things, the shtf scenario you expect is probably not the one you'll get.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
IF a true SHTF with power out for over 6 months say with an EMP from a major solar flare from the sun or a nuke exploding 250 miles above Kansas, the US government did a study. 100 million Americans would die within that first 6 months with complete power outage. People dependent on power for dialysis, simple heart surgeries like installing splints. The average amount of food stored by people in big cities is only 3 days, average suburb is 2 weeks, average person in the country 6 months. No power means back to 1900 where 90% of the people lived in rural areas without power. The Amish will do fine. People in the country with gardens and maybe chickens, rabbits, maybe a cow or a draft animal can do ok. A major EMP will take 6 months to a year to get back on. Food canning and processing would be the first on followed by refirgeration. Game animals will probably cease to exist for people in the country or small towns will kill them for food. Fish will be in short supply also. A two year supply of canned and dry foods constantly rotating out the oldest is the only real way to get through something like that. Having a solar cooker for Fresnel lens for cooking would help if firewood is in short supply. Having a large propane tank full would also help. Having a supply of rainwater, or a shallow well would be nice for a potable water source. Having a water filtration system with spare filters would also be nice. Check out some prepping websites.

FYI, our power grid is in pitiful shape nationwide. It needs a few million dollars to EMP proof it, and have enough spare transformers and switches, especially large ones for such an occasion. We also need increased capabilities to supply the power, and not necessarily wind or solar, but nuclear if you don't want coal and gas. More people, more electric cars, more appliances, more electronics, all add up to an extreme strain on the power grid. No one in congress seems to care, too political. However Newt Gingrich warned us about the power grid 15-20 years ago, as well as journalist Ted Kopel who wrote a book about it.

Peritoneal dialysis can be gravity fed. I did mine while at work with a 6ft pole and a diverter valve set.

Many people in developing nations and 3rd world go the Peri route because of lack of electricity.

I can’t get my mind around the 100 million figure but, yes.

I worked with 11 engineers. One guy never had more than a box of pop tarts in cabinets or a 1/2 jar of mustard in his fridge, was afraid of spiders and bugs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord

Peritoneal dialysis can be gravity fed. I did mine while at work with a 6ft pole and a diverter valve set.

Many people in developing nations and 3rd world go the Peri route because of lack of electricity.

I can’t get my mind around the 100 million figure but, yes.

I worked with 11 engineers. One guy never had more than a box of pop tarts in cabinets or a 1/2 jar of mustard in his fridge, was afraid of spiders and bugs.
If that goes down, my Apocalypse job is gonna be grave digger. That's a lot of folks to dispose of.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Things will get grim fast. No electric power, no food shipped, no mail, no internet, no fuels shipped. No nothing.
We can get by for a while with our stockpiles, but.

What exactly is your "shtf" scenario? Why is there no electricity or fuel?

People like to speculate about these sorts of scenarios alot and while they certainly aren't impossible, I don't think they are all that likely either. As with most things, the shtf scenario you expect is probably not the one you'll get.

Look at the chaos a few days of cold weather recently caused.
Just think if it was something serious or long term, easily to envision mass casualties.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Back around 1980, The American Survival Guide magazine began publishing each month articles about the very thing being discussed here, "TEOTWAKI." (The End Of The World As We Know It.) All kinds of scenarios, "What if what if what if what if??", advice what to do, what not to do, how to prepare, testing and review of related products, etc., etc.

Living in Los Angeles, the home of calamity and chaos, I subscribed and enjoyed many of the articles. Many were interesting, based on common sense and others were "waaay out there." I knew several of the regular contributors.

I have all but about three copies of The American Survival Guide until they stopped publishing around 2000. Lot of interesting stuff there and plenty of hypotheticals, too.

"TEOTWAKI." has been being forecasted in one form or another for several thousand years. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
hear it occasionally now or grew up hearing it.

“So and so didnt have legricity or running wortuh till they were 35 years old”

Heard on here a few times

How did they ever make it ?

Doubt they will be in that “100 million”

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Texczech
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Whats he got there?

Green bud grinder.
Clean even burn when ya roll up a Jbar.

You're showing your age Rene. I think they call them blunts now.

Cause they are too lazy to learn how to roll a doobie and stuff their herb in dumped out cheap cigar wrappers.
The mixed taste has gotta be bad...
Even use flavored ones...
JFC.....
What is this world coming too?????

Nice clean taste rice based rolling paper is the way to twist one up.

Thats the problem with these younger generations.
They cant even roll their own joints for gawds sake.
Knowing how to roll is a skill.
LOL!!!

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd need to hone, and learn a lot of pioneer skills.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Back around 1980, The American Survival Guide magazine began publishing each month articles about the very thing being discussed here, "TEOTWAKI." (The End Of The World As We Know It.) All kinds of scenarios, "What if what if what if what if??", advice what to do, what not to do, how to prepare, testing and review of related products, etc., etc.

Living in Los Angeles, the home of calamity and chaos, I subscribed and enjoyed many of the articles. Many were interesting, based on common sense and others were "waaay out there." I knew several of the regular contributors.

I have all but about three copies of The American Survival Guide until they stopped publishing around 2000. Lot of interesting stuff there and plenty of hypotheticals, too.

"TEOTWAKI." has been being forecasted in one form or another for several thousand years. wink

L.W.
Loved ASG in its many incarnations. It was too bad when the publisher died and his old lady, a rabid commie anti-gun bytch took over and deep sixed it. Backwoods Home honored my subscription to it for some reason. BH was and is quite a magazine but Walmart quit them. They are still available online and possibly in paper form too. Survive magazine was another good one that only lasted a couple of years.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by fshaw
There's a Mtch Rapp novel (Author Vince Flynn/Kyle Mills) that's a good read and is centered on this. Whatever you've got stockpiled isn't enough.

Correct! You better be prepared to produce more, and defend what you have! The farther you are away from the “unwashed masses”.....the better your chances! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

One of the best internet sources for many years of archived “how to” information is “SurvivalBlog”! A huge resource.....unless you are of the “I can shoot myself out of any situation” mentality! This site will be pretty boring for those folks! memtb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by fshaw
There's a Mtch Rapp novel (Author Vince Flynn/Kyle Mills) that's a good read and is centered on this. Whatever you've got stockpiled isn't enough.

Correct! You better be prepared to produce more, and defend what you have! The farther you are away from the “unwashed masses”.....the better your chances! memtb

Is you crazy - 100 -150 - 200lbs. of meat/flesh creeping around where it don't belong ? Shoot'em skin'em out , likely be tender to . smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cool. When can this TEOTWAKI happen? Can we direct the EMP over the east coast? 100 Million will cover a lot of politicians.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It will be hell and chaotic for a while but eventually the strong will prevail.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Would you be surprised that I honestly don’t give a schidt.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've kind of been wanting and preparing for something like this to happen . The only way to save the country is to do away with the deadbeats and freeloaders. Those that are entitled and high maintenance won't be living high life either.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,874 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,465
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.