Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
" The Road Warrior " AKA,Mel Gibbson,has a music box part that plays "Happy Birthday".

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The 100 million death rate in 6 months is due to large cities loosing power to operate the water and sewage systems. There will be lack of potable water in the cities and lack of sanitary facilities. This will cause cholera outbreaks and death. Then the shortage of food due to canning and freezing and delivery. The study showed 50% of new vehicles do not have Faraday cages or metal boxes around the vehicles electronics which can be fried thus immoble. Some vehicles could just turn off and restart. Some will be in parking buildings and can operate. Then there is the lack of electricity to pump the fuel into the cars and trucks. Trains can still function as they are a huge metal box anyway and are grounded. However the struggle to get food from farm to inner city markets will cause starvation. Then some people will leave the powerless cities and go into the suburbs and countryside only to find probably a buzz saw of gun owners keeping them from taking their food and supplies. Health, starvation, and self-defense along with attacks from inner city gangs will cause up to 100 million deaths.

This study was actually done by congress in the early 2,000's by the newly formed Homeland Security after 9-11. The estimated cost to upgrade the power system to EMP proof as well as the requirement of vehicle manufactures to protect their electronics. (The study had 30 different types of vehicles but they didn't say which ones were EMP proof which is a bummer).

EMP's could also shut down phones, radios, hearing aids, computers, as well as the internet. Always put surge protectors or battery backups on your computers and have a zip drive or CD backup of your records in case of computers and internet going down. A steel garbage can or military ammo box can store a spare computer or spare electronic items and shield them from an EMP as long as they are insulated from the cans themselves. An EMP blast will only last a few seconds.

The thing I am concerned about is a rogue nation such as N. Korea or Iran launching a nuke due south to come up to the US from the south and explode over Kansas or east or west of there. Our radar grid lines of defense are in Canada and the east and west coasts, but very little from the south could we detect something coming. Iran especially wouldn't care due to their religious fanaticism of dying and getting 72 virgins. They would not fear retaliation. Then just recently the sun had a huge solar flare spewing out from the southwest part of the sun. It missed earth, but this size flare spewing out when the US is facing the sun could be a disaster waiting to happen. The sun had a recorded giant solar flare observed in England in 1858 by and astronomer, and at the same time of the flare, it knocked out the telegraph system in eastern US and England. It took several days to get it back up. That was the only electronic system the world had at that time. Scientists say we are overdue for a flare of that kind hitting the US. One knocked out power in Qubec several years ago, so yes, it is possible even if just a certain area of the country. Smaller the area, the faster the power companies can get it back on. Whole US, 6 months to one year minimum estimate. Some of the equipment that could be damaged we don't even manufacture anymore. It is still being made in Germany and China due to expanding electrical needs in 3rd world countries.

Of all the senarios of SHTF, an EMP whether solar on intentional attack is one that could hurt us more than this pandemic.

Canned goods can be rotated out based on their best by dates. Acidic canned goods like tomatoes don't last as long as something like canned beans. Vitamins in foods only last about 2 year, so that is about the maximum you can store vegetables. Dehydrated foods last far longer. Rice, beans, whole wheat can last for years if kept dry and cool. Meat can be made into jerky or canned. Think non-refrigerated or frozen foods.

Having some type of water filtration system for drinking water is also a good thing to have.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Little man, so spick and span, where were you when the tschidt hit the fan?"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Who was the guy that did the,"Survive", columns in "Guns & Ammo magazine ? I liked reading that back in the day.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
All them wild hogs I’ve been callin’ manna from Heaven for years, are gonna get real popular.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Neighbors will matter. Always have, always will. Choose wisely.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There’s plenty to eat here in the swamps. Iguana, parrots, obnoxious neighbors and maybe their pets. Oh yeah, we got squill everywhere. Black berries, citrus, pigs, turkey, etc, etc. Who needs electricity?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by superlight17b
Who was the guy that did the,"Survive", columns in "Guns & Ammo magazine ? I liked reading that back in the day.

Wasn't that the late Mel Tappan??

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Things will get grim fast. No electric power, no food shipped, no mail, no internet, no fuels shipped. No nothing.
We can get by for a while with our stockpiles, but.

Read the book " One second after"..
EMP attack over mid America.
One of the better books I've read ..
Shiit goes south fast .

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
People are enamored with all kinds of fantasy "SHTF scenarios".... EMP attacks, "the grid going down!", hordes of zombies, etc.... All of which is BS. The Schdt that will Hit The Fan will be the boot heel of tyranny. Ruthless oppression. And if we're lucky... war.

IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ol wabi is talking like we're in for some Ruff Times.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Stophel
People are enamored with all kinds of fantasy "SHTF scenarios".... EMP attacks, "the grid going down!", hordes of zombies, etc.... All of which is BS. The Schdt that will Hit The Fan will be the boot heel of tyranny. Ruthless oppression. And if we're lucky... war.

I agree. People like envision an event for which they would be better prepared than most, leaving them in a good position while the bad stuff happens to everyone else. Sure, its possible that a large scale EMP could cause widespread damage. Even so, I don't see a continent wide disaster happening that will leave everyone trapping rats for food and fending off bands of marauders. Your scenario I find much more likely, and the one I'm far more interested in trying to prepare for.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

The EMP thing ain't a joke. It's people with no vehicles/ electricity. It could happen..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Things will get grim fast. No electric power, no food shipped, no mail, no internet, no fuels shipped. No nothing.

I can see why you would bring this up now considering all that Texas went through the other week.
That was something similar in nature and makes one pause to reconsider their trust in the grid.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I can see why you would bring this up now considering all that Texas went through the other week.
That was something similar in nature and makes one pause to reconsider their trust in the grid.

it was a short 70 years ago that the rural emc's ran electiricity in our community. had enough power for one light bulb in each room, plus enough to pull a frigidaire.

wood heat, drawed water from a well. an electric clothes iron came later. and then it all began. and here we are now. every room in the house like grand central station.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If SHTF, I'm starting my own gang and becoming a warlord. I'll launch raids into canada and take all the maple syrup and cheez wiz.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
If SHTF, I'm starting my own gang and becoming a warlord. I'll launch raids into canada and take all the maple syrup and cheez wiz.

Come south trying to raid and commander our crawfish and your ass ain’t gonna make back home !!!

Might let you have a little boudin, though.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by r_dubya

The EMP thing ain't a joke. It's people with no vehicles/ electricity. It could happen..

But WHO would do it??? and WHY? IF such a thing ever happened, it would not be just by itself, for no reason.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Come south trying to raid and commander our crawfish and your ass ain’t gonna make back home !!!

If we make it that far, it will be home !!

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

If we make it that far, it will be home !!

Y’all come.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.