Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Got one, guy gave me a bag of new Remington brass and some once fired stuff and bullets. Im looking at the rifle and components and im thinking to myself what in the world would i use this for or use it on. I kinda dont get it. Ive used a 308win a lot and cant really find a role where the 257 might be advantageous or hold some reason to use it. My location is out west but is not open country but rather timbered logging country and brush. Hardly the place where the deer and antelope play. Last year i had a large Bighorn ram living 40 yards from my door but im not a sheep hunter and he wasnt susposed to be living there. Same with mtn goats.

Anyway i was wondering what folks use them for since the 308 win is usually far more common, hucks heavier missles as does the 270. Not saying its bad or junk. I just dont get it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Morning!

Practical reasons: The .257 is an effective smallbore that would surprise you in its ability to kill out of its small size. The 115gr Partitions kill like a .270 130gr at least I can’t tell any difference except recoil is lighter. In today’s high BC world, the .257 is lagging behind the .243 bore in terms of slippery bullets but don’t let that fool you into thinking it’s a shorter range cartridge. Pretty efficient with both powder & bullets as well. Same parent case as the 6mm Rem & 7mm Mauser so it’s a mid length cartridge holding a bit more powder than the true short action .308 based rounds.

Romantic reason: The .257 Robert’s has a great story of development and harkens back to a simpler time in our country when rifles were looked at differently and owning a dual-purpose rifle (varmints & deer etc) was attractive because financially many were only able to own one rifle.

* I’m not a gun writer so take my opinion with several grains of salt. I’m sure MuleDeer will chime in - he’s spent a lifetime with the .25’s and can offer a much more in-depth response than I ever could.

Tim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
]We had a discussion about the 257 Roberts not too long ago:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...mier-deer-round-at-one-time#Post15158658

Quoting from my response:

Just for grins, I looked up the .257 Roberts in my 1942 Outdoor Life Cyclopedia. While most of what is in this epic tome is complete balderdash, it does give you an idea of the zeitgeist of the time. Here's what it said:

". . . but for some reason the .257 [Roberts] has remained almost entirely a gun fan's rifle. Paradoxically, the majority of those who own this great all-round rifle have several others in the rack, and the men who need it haven't given it much consideration."

Jack O'Connor loved the round, and developed a bunch of loads for it. However, he lamented at some point around WWII that there was a lack of good bullets for it. Yes, they were out there, but they varied greatly in weight and this led to less accuracy. As we all know, Herr O'Connor became linked to the 270 Winchester and not the 257 Rob.

There was a period after WWII that saw a resurgence in interest in .257 Rob when folks brought back Japanese Arisakas and could not find ammo for them. They had the option of rechambering them for .257 Rob.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Being a fan of the 25’s I have used the 257 Roberts a good bit (since 93). It kills deer as neatly as you can ask. The little rifle just pops and deer just lay down. The Roberts is a gentleman you will like if you give it a try.
I know someone will chime in about high BC bullets and all that, but the Roberts is about killing game. I have not missed an opportunity because I wasn’t shooting a .700 G7. I would happily hunt most of North American game with one.
GreggH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There really is no reason to own one. You can send it to me.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 03/03/21.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love mine. It’s a custom small ring Mexican Mauser with a Douglas XX grade barrel. It’s the connection with the past that’s a nice bonus in my eyes. She was given to me by a man that was like a second father to me as he was dying from cancer. We buried him two days before deer season opened and there was no doubt I would honor him by taking her out that opening morning. I knew I’d take a buck...there was zero doubt in my head. Fifteen minutes on the stand and I found myself gutting a nice buck with misty eyes. It never happens like that in my little world.

The rifle has turned out to be a peculiar little demon. Every deer I’ve ever shot with it has fell right there...two feet to the ground. By my records I’ve taken almost two hundred deer with it. Every one with a Nosler 100 grain partition driven with 42 grains of IMR-4350 and a WLR primer...that’s all she likes, but she loves that load. 1/2” groups at 100 yards every time. My best buck with that rifle went 240 pounds and scored 142” as an 8 pointer.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Im looking at the rifle and components and im thinking to myself what in the world would i use this for or use it on. I kinda dont get it.

Let's get right down to it. I'll argue that the vast majority of what we all own will do 98% of what and how we hunt. To exclude .22 CFs, I have in hunting rifles.

.257 Roberts
6.5x55
7-08
.275 Rigby
.300 Savage
.30-06
.300 H&H

I think I could easily pick up any of them and go hunt virtually anything in North America and do just fine. Now, some are lighter and some are heavier, some are single shot, some are levers, most are bolts, some are scoped and some not, those that are scoped vary in scopes. Don't get me started on why I own more than one of some of these calibers! Really it's more the platform than the cartridge, especially as a hand-loader with access to so many bullet types.

Now I know that I have just put the renewal of my rifle looney membership card in jeopardy with that statement but to reply to "why a .257 Roberts", why not! It has a neat history, a wide range of bullets and powders that work and it comes in a full range of interesting rifles as it's been a factory loaded round for 87 years! Glory in the "because I want one" freedom we have as Americans to engage in "full bore linear looneydom" to twist a phrase from the late Patrick F. McManus.

grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I kinda dont get it. Ive used a 308win a lot and cant really find a role where the 257 might be advantageous or hold some reason to use it.
You're right, there's really no need for any of these various chamberings and calibers. Let's just all get a .30-30 and be done with it.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Mild recoil, great deer rifle, many cartridges do as well or better. I have had two, both are gone, a .308 is far better. There are also several short 7mm"s that will do the same or better.,

Last edited by elkmen1; 03/03/21.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The Roberts is a pure joy to shoot...bottom line. 117g Sierra and a 120g speer btsp just hammer deer.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Pugs
Im looking at the rifle and components and im thinking to myself what in the world would i use this for or use it on. I kinda dont get it.

Let's get right down to it. I'll argue that the vast majority of what we all own will do 98% of what and how we hunt. To exclude .22 CFs, I have in hunting rifles.

.257 Roberts
6.5x55
7-08
.275 Rigby
.300 Savage
.30-06
.300 H&H

I think I could easily pick up any of them and go hunt virtually anything in North America and do just fine. Now, some are lighter and some are heavier, some are single shot, some are levers, most are bolts, some are scoped and some not, those that are scoped vary in scopes. Don't get me started on why I own more than one of some of these calibers! Really it's more the platform than the cartridge, especially as a hand-loader with access to so many bullet types.

Now I know that I have just put the renewal of my rifle looney membership card in jeopardy with that statement but to reply to "why a .257 Roberts", why not! It has a neat history, a wide range of bullets and powders that work and it comes in a full range of interesting rifles as it's been a factory loaded round for 87 years! Glory in the "because I want one" freedom we have as Americans to engage in "full bore linear looneydom" to twist a phrase from the late Patrick F. McManus.

grin

I purchased a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 7mm-08 this year and I am going to put a lightweight Leupold scope on it and use it for all of my hunting. Okay, at least that is my plan for right now. Not sure what I am going to do with the 243, 257, 270, 280, 308, 30-06, 32, 325, 338. grin

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
It’s just a pleasant round to shoot, I like shooting the 75 grain Vmax for yotes and such and the 100 grain partition for deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not this again!

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

.257 Roberts
6.5x55
7-08
.275 Rigby
.300 Savage
.30-06
.300 H&H

grin

I see a lot of gaps there. We need to work on that for you.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not this again!

Just that fresh Hell we've been anticipating!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to sell, send me a PM. I'm looking for a 257 since someone has pried mine out of my fingers.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I like old Mausers, found one in .257 R, why not? 'everybody says ya gotta have one'.... it has features I like, Greener safety, DST's, lever floorplate release, and so on. Developed an accurate load for it easy peasy.
But, there it sits. And sits. Maybe I'll get it re-bored.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Why do I suspect you have a .300 Sherwood to sell? grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Why do I suspect you have a .300 Sherwood to sell? grin

I need something in between my 310 cadet and my 32/20.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Sold it already. Ammo can't be found on the 24Hour Classifieds, so what good is it?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,844 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,617
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.