-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I sent a USPS money order to buy a rifle. After 2+ weeks of the MO not arriving I filed a claim and cancelled the order. The seller re-sold the rifle. The MO got to him 19 days after it was sent. He sent it back and I cashed it. Still waiting on the USPS insurance so I can cancel the claim and return the funds. It was $700.

Proud patriot.
Life member:
RMEF, NAHC, VFW
Annual: NRA
GB1

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deadeyedan
If it's shipped USPS Priority then it is scanned at the location it is left. I've had my post master look this up more than once to prove it was delivered to the wrong (or right) place. It's a GPS location they can see on a map to verify. It's not 100% but pretty close and has solved several issues I have had in the past.

We have the rural PO Boxes Like theses. They are all together....

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by warpig602
In my own experience, I encountered a more difficult situation. I sold some mags to a guy and tracking shows they were delivered. The buyer said he never got them. Thats a tough spot to be in as seller since you've technically completed your end of the deal but at the same time, the buyer doesn't have the product. Luckily the buyer was a well respected member and there was never any feeling of doubt or dishonesty.

The exact same thing happened with a scope and rifle I sold to a member that has a solid reputation here. Shipped them separately and the rifle made it but the scope, although showing delivered, never did. Just so happened I had another of the exact same make and model sitting in the safe so I sent him that one and went to the post office. I called his local PO and an employee (who obviously wasn't in fear of losing her job) told me that during the holiday season they often scan the packages delivered before they are loaded on the truck to save time and there was no way of knowing whether it was actually delivered. When I got the post master on the phone, that explanation was denied. I insured it but since it showed delivered they claimed they didn't owe me anything. So I ate it.. I would like to say I learned a lesson at least but other than the USPS sucks, I got nuthin'.

Last edited by Crimson Mister; 03/02/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
A friend of mine has a small gunsmith/sales shop in his house. He was waiting on a rifle to be delivered by UPS for a customer. The rifle made it to the UPS location that delivers to our village and disappeared. He wasn't getting any cooperation from UPS so he notified the ATF of a stolen gun at that facility. THAT got their attention! I haven't heard if the rifle was ever found but he did say that UPS really snaps to attention when you mention the ATF.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 03/02/21.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had to go through claims with the postal service a few times selling syrup. Don't know if I had to or not but felt somewhat responsible, not for the damage but wanting them to get what they paid for even if I lost a bit of money by not buying extra insurance over what flat rate gives.

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Typically if a product is sold FOB shipping point the buyer is responsible to retrieve any damages incurred. If a product is sold FOB Delivered the shipper is responsible. The cost of shipping merely (who pays shipping) is part of the conditions of sale.. I made my living selling and shipping metals. In most cases the shipper and receiver work together to help one another claim loss. Freight companies put up a hell of a fight, that starts with (insufficient packing) and ends after a 100 more excuses.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CJC73
Originally Posted by aalf

It's the seller's obligation to deliver said product in the condition it was sold in.......

Why is this even debatable?

This is my thought as well.

I've always wondered why sellers say "insurance is on the buyer" If I purchase a scope in the condition the seller says it is, I expect that scope to be delivered to me in that condition. For all I know, the seller could just put the scope in a box and send it. If it arrives damaged because of their lack of packaging, I should not have to file a damage report and hope to heck I get a reimbursement (as we all know and stated above, is all but impossible). This is up to the seller.

Agree that generally the onus is on the seller. Also agree on the comment above "insurance is on the buyer" ... I just pass on those opportunities because if anything goes wrong, it is going to be a mess that I don't want.

I also agree that as a seller I avoid USPS for anything more than $100 value because I am never going to get paid by USPS insurance in most realities.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bought ruger 44 carbine from dealer. I paid shipping plus insurance cost gun was broke in half upon delivery .I made claim since I had insurable interest. It took awhile for USPS to pay but they did . I kept the damaged gun and they paid the full price of what I paid for gun as that was the stated amount of the insurance. I eventually found another stock

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The safest way to ship a package is registered mail with signature on delivery. Registered mail require special handling and if its not in transit it is signed for and locked up at the facility until it is in transit. Adult signature well worth it since someone of adult age must sign that it was delivered, if not a second delivery would be attempted and then receiver has to pick up at the post office, Plus the insurance can go up to $50K that why it is much more secure. I have used it a couple times and the extra cost is reasonable. That is why I share the shipping it makes me more comfortable

Registered Mail Basics

As with Certified Mail, you can purchase Registered Mail service for First-Class Mail, First-Class Package Service or Priority Mail, and you receive a mail receipt at the time you send your mail. The recipient must sign to receive your mail, and if you need proof of delivery, you can purchase Return Receipt service or Return Receipt After Mailing. Unlike Certified Mail, Registered Mail offers additional security and protection including transport via locked cages, safes or sealed containers, and a chain of custody with electronic or physical signatures at USPS facilities at each stage of the delivery. As of this publication, you can purchase insurance coverage up to $50,000 based on the value of the item you mail.

Last edited by raamw; 03/02/21.

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
To me, it's pretty simple: does the seller have his money? Does the buyer have his purchase as advertised?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always specify how it’ll be shipped, and if shipping is on the buyer, they get to choose insurance if they want to pay for it.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Fotis
Devil's advocate here......

Shouldn't the buyer inquire whether item will be fully insured for said price?
Or the seller say that if you do require additional insurance you have to pay for it?

In my opinion, the safe delivery is on the seller. There is nothing the buyer can do to improve his chances at recieving the item. The seller should package appropriately and ship insured. The buyer doesnt have any resonsibility other than making good payment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think I’ve had to file claims 3 times with usps. All under $300.
Were all adjudicated and paid fairly quickly. I’ve heard that low dollar items go through easily and stuff over ~$300 starts to get harder

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Good luck getting insurance to pay through USPS. If you don't have original recipts of purchase, IME they'll deny your claim saying you lack proof of value. It doesn't matter if you can show an agreed upon value between buyer and seller, for sale ads and emails are not vaild to USPS from the couple of times I tried claiming.

Both claims were for packages lost in shipment. One showed up three weeks after the claim was filed, three months after mailed 2 day priority. The buyer was nice enough to send me the money I refunded back. The second is still lost in the ether about five months now, I doubt it ever shows up and I'm out the money. Thankfully the one I would have been out over $300 showed up, the other was only $75.

For expensive items I only use UPS even though its a PITA, at least their tracking info is more detailed.

Both times Ive needed USPS to pay out on a claim, it was for my asking price, and had the check within 2 weeks. I ship A LOT of packages through USPS every year and they have never lost a single one....although one did take 6 months to get back.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by aalf

It's the seller's obligation to deliver said product in the condition it was sold in.......

Why is this even debatable?

This^^^

"We don't rent pigs"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
USPS has never made good on a claim for a broken gun that I personally know of.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So what about the tracking number showing it was delivered and the buyer saying he never received it?
How does usps handle that situation? Is it the sellers responsibility to file the claim or the buyer’s?
And what kind of investigation would usps do before reimbursing?
This has never happened to me but what’s to stop people from claiming they never received they’re package when really they did?
I’ve only had two occasions happen to me.
The first was with usps, sold some bullets to a guy years ago and he said the box was busted open and bullets were missing. Before I could even respond back he responded back and said he filed a claim with usps and all was good. I never had to show any kind of proof of the sale or any information to usps at all. No idea what ever became of the situation.
The other was a package from Midway delivered UPS. It arrived like it was drug behind the truck the whole way here. Busted open missing and broken stuff. Contacted midway, sent pictures to them. They replaced everything at no charge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After the rifle shipping fiascos I had this summer, I am trying to swear off shipping rifles!

I did ship a handgun to Alaska. UPS air freight was fine.

Our dear leaders in D.C. will make this discussion a moot point at their earliest convenience. frown

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Why would this be any different than buying something from a company? If I place an online order it is the selling company's responsibility to get the product to me. I don't know of any company that, once they receive payment, say "Well, it's up to the customer to make sure they get the item they ordered'.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by warpig602

Both times Ive needed USPS to pay out on a claim, it was for my asking price, and had the check within 2 weeks. I ship A LOT of packages through USPS every year and they have never lost a single one....although one did take 6 months to get back.

I'm glad your experience has been different than mine. The only time I've had issues is this last year with USPS. Both times I filed claims for lost packages and one was insured for the actual price I sold it for, the other was for the basic $50. I went to USPS web site and followed their instructions to the letter for filing a claim. Both times I got a letter stating I had failed to provide proof of actual value of items and my claim was denied.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 63 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,435
Posts18,470,821
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.