Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
This old dinosaur is about to blowup, it runs on internet explorer and windows 7, losing support/virus protection? in nearly all phases of it, what brand of pc's and browsers/service providers to you guys like? i'll pass the info to Wife for the purchase as I remain a .com idiot.

Thanks in advance.

Trump Won!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I run all Apple. Browser is either Safari or Brave

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Apple MacBook Air will cover 95% of home computing needs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apple products with Chrome or Safari.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Apple/Safari

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I use a laptop with a wireless keyboard and mouse and a 21" monitor. The laptop sits off to 1 side. I do that so I can take it with me when we travel. My current one is a mid level Dell.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Bite the bullet, and go Mac.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Apple....frogsnacks.

I am surprised Fauchi doesn't make a computer you all want to buy.

Get one built for your needs.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cheapass 14" Lenovo with a SSD from Wally World for about $250. Works like a charm. When Microsoft fuucks it up, which they will, I'll get another like it. I think it would be silly to spend more these days unless you are a power user, which browsing and watching gun vids ain't.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Apple MacBook Air will cover 95% of home computing needs.

This. That's what I've been using for seven years now. Still going strong. It has slowed down a bit since I bought it, but not by much.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I build my own. But if I couldnt, id find some younger local and throw 100 at him to pick parts for me and put it all together when they got there. But lacking a young local you trust, go to local pc store or bestbuy etc and buy whatever windows pc is the cheapest with the most storage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you going to use it for? Purely web browsing? Or Microsoft Office Suite for word processing, spreadsheets, etc?

For purely web browsing, I have no issues on my iphone, so scale that up to an iPad for you. Wife uses her iPad constantly for that purpose. Can get it set up on a cellular plan so no wifi necessary when out on the road. Throw in a keyboard and a mouse to make typing and scrolling easier.

For doing actual 'computer' stuff, I'm issued a Lenovo laptop every 2 years. About half the time I'm living out of a backpack flying 4x a week around the country and on construction sites, and have never had a computer failure. Part of that might be due to the IT team keeping it locked down enough to block outside attacks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure why one needs to spend the cash to get an Apple if Browsing is your main duty. I assume no gaming in the picture -right? Look at obvious things like screen size but you may want an external monitor connection for dual screen. If you haven't done it, try it and you won't know why you haven't sooner. Monitors have gotten cheap.

Being able to use a pc as a tablet is a nice feature for some- meaning do you want to be able to remove the keyboard and just use a touch screen?

I also want good quality sound coming from it. Crank it up in the store and see how it sounds. Compare. I saw some that touted name brand internal speakers but found a less expensive version had better sound.

I have moved to BRAVE for my windows browser and am very happy with it. No tracking etc... You can always use Chrome or other to go to naughty sites easier.

I would go 16 gb memory but 8gb or great is all you really need. Do not go off brand. Stick with Dell or HP but just compare them - don't just order one.

As to service provider you are at mercy of what is available. If running multi devices like tv's streaming and voip phones etc.... actually just shop around and get highest i/o with least dollars.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dell with Apache Open Office or Libre Office, Duck Duck Go and/or AVG secure browser.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Nothing wrong with a mac, but they aren't something the average person can work on if needed and repairs can get quite expensive. A coworker was complaining that the battery went out on his daughters macbook...which she just had to have to be cool....and it was a 240 dollar repair. One goes out in a dell laptop, 40 bucks if that and you can do it yourself in 5 seconds.

Last edited by killerv; 03/03/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Building is simple and you can avoid the weak link that is often present in package PCs. It all depends on what your intended use is. Easy to build and the compatibility checker will tell you what you can or can't use.

Newegg PC Builder

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for all the info men, I don't game or anything business related, just visit hunting/reloading/old car/hotrod websites and send/receive e-mail, Wife has a laptop she uses via remote signal? here at the house for weekend homework, I'm looking for a tower, key pad and screen, desktop set up I guess it's called.

Thanks again all.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks 280, I saved that link in the favorites box for Wife to look over.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can get factory refurbished business units at woot.com or newegg. They'll all come with Windows 10 now. None of them come with a monitor and keyboard any longer. Plug in your old ones or get new ones. But...

My wife was a die-hard Windows user (as I used to be) until a recent update corrupted her tower system. The repair shop wanted $500+ to reload Windows, and it was only a $350 tower to begin with. We brought it home, I wiped her system and installed Linux Mint. She's now delighted with how simple and reliable it is.

You can probably do the same thing with her existing tower. I have an article describing how to and all you need is a thumb drive. PM me with your email addy and I'll attach the article. Read it and decide for yourself.

Best thing is that trying it is free and if you dork it up, you're no worse off than now. So... spend $500-$1000 or zero.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tag

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,189
Posts18,503,386
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.