Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I see a lot of gaps there. We need to work on that for you.

Why do I suspect you have a .300 Sherwood to sell? grin

I need something in between my 310 cadet and my 32/20.

.257 Roberts should do it. See? We brought it back around full circle. Next question?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
About 50 years ago my old rifle mentor, in response to my ramblings about a Roberts said, " you have a great 25-06, a wildcat at the time, just load it down if there is the need". The implications suddenly became very clear. I have no experience with a Roberts.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to throw cold water on the 257, but I have had two and both went down the road. So I agree with the OP.

The main reason to own a Roberts is simply because you want one

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Got one, guy gave me a bag of new Remington brass and some once fired stuff and bullets. Im looking at the rifle and components and im thinking to myself what in the world would i use this for or use it on. I kinda dont get it. Ive used a 308win a lot and cant really find a role where the 257 might be advantageous or hold some reason to use it. My location is out west but is not open country but rather timbered logging country and brush. Hardly the place where the deer and antelope play. Last year i had a large Bighorn ram living 40 yards from my door but im not a sheep hunter and he wasnt susposed to be living there. Same with mtn goats.

Anyway i was wondering what folks use them for since the 308 win is usually far more common, hucks heavier missles as does the 270. Not saying its bad or junk. I just dont get it.

Maybe you should have pondered the "Why" before you got one. What rifle do you have, details, pic, etc.?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
''cause the .257 Bob is far less common in hunting camp. Guaranteed conversation starter.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Debates about caliber/cartridge choices are the bread and butter of the Campfire. The cold hard reality of the matter is they're all good- close your eyes and pick one. We forget about the awesome energy we release with every pull of the trigger and what it does to living flesh, even with pipsqueak rounds. Every cartridge, with the possible exception of the .22BB Cap or 4mm Zimmerstutzen, can pretty much kill anything (and I wouldn't discount Digital Dan killing wild hogs with a Zimmerstutzen at that). I think Pugs came closest to the meat of the matter when he said it's more about the platform not the caliber. To whit, I would rather take on a grand daddy buck with a .22 K-Hornet Model 54 Winchester, re-chambered by Lyle Kilbourn himself, than with a rusty greasy old Spanish Mauser in 7x57 even though a 7mm has it all over a K-Hornet, on paper and in the minds of uninformed folks.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/03/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
.257R is a classic and hits well above it's weight class. This group was shot with a Brux (24") barreled LA M-700; this COAL won't fit in a SA. This load whacks WT's and hogs with authority. What's not to like. Check that velocity. No pressure signs at all.

Gun also likes 115 gr. NBT's over H-4350 at around 2,950 fps. That load whack'em and stacks'em, groups just as good or even better.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by easttex
About 50 years ago my old rifle mentor, in response to my ramblings about a Roberts said, " you have a great 25-06, a wildcat at the time, just load it down if there is the need". The implications suddenly became very clear. I have no experience with a Roberts.

Why did they go down the road?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Got one, guy gave me a bag of new Remington brass and some once fired stuff and bullets. Im looking at the rifle and components and im thinking to myself what in the world would i use this for or use it on. I kinda dont get it. Ive used a 308win a lot and cant really find a role where the 257 might be advantageous or hold some reason to use it. My location is out west but is not open country but rather timbered logging country and brush. Hardly the place where the deer and antelope play. Last year i had a large Bighorn ram living 40 yards from my door but im not a sheep hunter and he wasnt susposed to be living there. Same with mtn goats.

Anyway i was wondering what folks use them for since the 308 win is usually far more common, hucks heavier missles as does the 270. Not saying its bad or junk. I just dont get it.

If you don't get it, you don't get it.

The .257 Roberts was introduced commercially by Remington in the 1930s, when there weren't many widely available commercial bolt-action cartridges between the .220 Swift and .270 Winchester. It became pretty popular, but started losing steam after Winchester introduced the .243 in 1955, and lost even more when Remington made the wildcat .25-06 a commercial round in 1969.

Today there are dozens of commercial cartridges in the same basic class, including not just the .243 and .25-06 but 6mm Remington, .240 Weatherby, .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, blah blah blah. I have a soft spot for the .257 due to owning my grandmother's .257, a Remington 722 made in 1953, which also happens to still be VERY accurate, but there's no "need" for any of them, especially if you think the .308 works better for deer.

However, I have LOTS of experience on deer with all the cartridges listed above, including the .308 and several other rounds like it, including the .270, 7x57, 7mm-08 and .300 Savage. (My wife has also taken elk with both the .257 and .308, and they worked just about the same there too.) My conclusion is just about any halfway popular cartridge kills deer well, as long as the hunter puts the right bullet in the right place.

But if you're convinced the .308 is better, then that's what you should use, especially since one of your criteria is easily-found ammo. And you should give or sell the .257 Roberts brass to somebody who gets it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's not to like?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice,

Is that a Super Grade?

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

If you don't get it, you don't get it.

But if you're convinced the .308 is better, then that's what you should use, especially since one of your criteria is easily-found ammo. And you should give or sell the .257 Roberts brass to somebody who gets it.

Interestingly,most of the stores I have been to still have 257R remaining. I guess because not enough people get it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you’ve shot it at the range next to your .308, you wouldn’t be asking that question. I bought one for the kid and I wondered where all the recoil went? What a pleasant shooting cartridge! The kid doesn’t hunt and my butt is still sore from kicking myself for selling off that 760 .257 Roberts. I started a thread once on another hunting forum asking what cartridges killed out of proportion to their paper ballistics? The .257 Roberts and the .44 Magnum tied for first place. The ammo companies load those .25’s with bullets designed for deer size game. Not always the case with the larger 30’s. In the Cedar Ridge deer shooting test some years back, they measured the distance 400 plus deer ran after the shot using different cartridges. The .25 caliber deer travelled the shortest distance on average. If you load your own, you can get a Roberts right on the heels of a .25-06 if your rifle will handle modern pressure levels.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nice,

Is that a Super Grade?

DF

Yep, vintage '51.

It seems to like the Remington lightweights too...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I killed my first deer with a Roberts. I personally think most deer hunters are needlessly over gunned in this country. Guess it all started with people thinking you needed a 30'06 to shoot Germans.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Nice,

Is that a Super Grade?

DF

Yep, vintage '51.

The really sad thing is, that rifle is not in my rack! That is a very classy rifle.
If one wants to be entirely practical, he could hunt everything with a Savage 110 in 308 but I can't imagine such an existence. GD

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by greydog
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Nice,

Is that a Super Grade?

DF

Yep, vintage '51.

The really sad thing is, that rifle is not in my rack! That is a very classy rifle.
If one wants to be entirely practical, he could hunt everything with a Savage 110 in 308 but I can't imagine such an existence. GD

Kinda like dating an ugly girl. You'd always be just a tad ashamed of her...

Salvages shoot, but they way too ugly for me. Sitting in a box stand or on a hunt, I'd have to look at it, at least occasionally. I'd rather be looking at that Super Grade, any day.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Greydog, be careful what you wish for! grin

I killed my first deer with a Roberts. I personally think most deer hunters are needlessly over gunned in this country. Guess it all started with people thinking you needed a 30'06 to shoot Germans.

Probably true. They scaled that down for the 5.56 'cause dinks are, well, dinky I reckon.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have owned several pre'64 Winchester M/70's to include a Super Grade and a Featherweight custom barreled Roberts in a Jaeger custom stock. All were capable of fine accuracy with both factory loads and handloads. Sadly all have gone down the road, I miss the Jaeger custom the most as It had a beautiful stock and fit me and pointed like a fine rifle should.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 1minute, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,504
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.