Thanks for sharing.

DF

GB1

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Round oak. Don’t you have any big deer there to try your bob out on. And DD ! Needing is not a reason not to buy something. Common people. Edk

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"257 Roberts what's the attraction"

Low recoil. Nostalgia.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
shinbone,

I think theoldpinecricker is pretty nostalgic. He keeps mentioning heavier bullets as being superior for deer hunting, which is a good indication that he's still wandering around in the past.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Or he prefers a cheaper, alternative method. There is no need for copper or partitioned bullets. There are options.

In short, he can use what he wants.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I filled my doe tag once with a cast bullet from out of a .257 Roberts. A case of walking out the back door into the woods and realizing as the sun was coming up, and a deer was sneaking past me, that the ammo I managed to grab was a fist full of cast loads I had been playing with in that full-stock M1952 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Soft cast 100 grain RN bullets at around 1600 fps will definitely do the job. Not a dramatic kill, but she expired within seconds and maybe 50 feet from where I hit her.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Or he prefers a cheaper, alternative method. There is no need for copper or partitioned bullets. There are options.

In short, he can use what he wants.

Or he has no idea how well cup-and-cores can work in smaller-caliber cartridges. Instead he assumed they won't work as well.

Dunno how many deer and antelope I've killed with cup-and-cores not only with the .257 Roberts but the .220 Swift, .243 Winchester .250 Savage and .25-06. Could look it up in my hunting notes, but am sure its close to 100.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
People tend to waaaaay over-think this stuff.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Yes, almost everyone. Use what makes you happy. Use cast. Use C and C. Use partitions. I realize boards like this would disappear if people stopped posting, but the winter blahs and grumpiness are exacerbated by COVID and your election.

Time for everyone to relax and take a few breaths.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Yep.

I like the .25-06, and indeed all 25s, despite theories about their ballistic deficiencies in this era of ultra-high ballistic coefficients and longer-range shooting. But after long experience with the .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .25-06 and .257 Weatherby Magnum, I let my .250s and .25-06s go, because while I couldn't tell much (if any) difference in the field performance of the .257 Roberts and .25-06, I could tell a difference between the field performance of the .250 and .257, and between the .25-06 and .257 Weatherby.

Of course, that may change if the "right" .250-3000 or .25-06 comes along!

The "right" 25-06 came along for me when I shipped an early 2000s Model 70 classic featherweight to "Redneck", in 2009, and he sent it back with a PacNor .25 barrel on it.
First 3 shots at 100 with the 75 VMax covered with a dime, and change due...

I recall him asking if I wanted the 30-06 barrel back.
Nah...I'm good....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I believe you`re asking the question bass-ackwards...cense the 1920s, why have we needed all thoes that followed?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anecdotally, the only rifle I ever bought to give to a woman was a Ruger M77 lightweight/featherweight/whatever they called them back in the late 80's - in .257 Roberts. Shoulda married that girl. She was a small person, 4'11" and 98 pounds on a fat day, such that I had to shorten the butt stock a lot for the gun to fit her. Cut that thing before a round ever went down the tube. Put a Leupold 1.5-5 on it and off to the races she went. That thing would put three into a half-inch or so and then shots would start to walk vertically. No matter, she never needed more than one shot to execute a whitetail anyway. Special kind of girl who would brag on the .257 Roberts her man gave her when her girlfriends were bragging about their jewelry! I know, I know....

Dam right you should have married her!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nostalgia. There are better choices with similar recoil.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
shinbone,

I think theoldpinecricker is pretty nostalgic. He keeps mentioning heavier bullets as being superior for deer hunting, which is a good indication that he's still wandering around in the past.

Ouch! But then I loved the good ole days. I like at least 120 grains. Back when TTSX's didn't exist heavier was better. It was almost all you had.

Dog I rescued in January

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
rickt300,

Apparently you don't have much experience with any other so-called "premium" bullets than TTSXs. They're great bullets--Eileen and I have killed some game every year since they appeared--but I have used a bunch of other bullets that penetrate more than sufficiently on big game from 100-pound animals like pronghorn to 800-1500 pound animals from elk to moose and buffalo. But have shot lengthwise through pronghorn bucks with 120-grain 6.5mm Nosler Ballistic Tips. Won't mention the cartridge because too many here would throw a schidt-fit.

Might also mention that I started using Nosler Partitions back when they were still lathe-turned. The two I first used (because I had so few rifles back then) were the 130-grain .270 and 200-grain Partition. Never recovered any, on game up through elk.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nice,

Is that a Super Grade?

DF

Yep, vintage '51.

It seems to like the Remington lightweights too...

I used to like you, DD.

Now...???

Still, rates a two cool

cool cool

-Sniff-

Didn’t mean to hurt your feelers. No more gun pics, OK?

Wanna buy it?

Too heavy for me to carry anymore...

My Kimber MT 257 is just right for that purpose, but it's U G L Y !

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
shinbone,

I dont know about nostalgia but i dont target deer specifically most times. To me they are mostly incidental if elk season overlaps. As i mentioned earlier, at the moment i dont live where the deer and antelope play but in timbered country. Specifically i spend most time in N Idaho, the Selway, and NW Montana. Sometimes i go north for moose, sometimes ive been in the Crazies, the Beartooths and that region of Montana.

I like heavier bullets but im also a big 338, 348, 358, 375 fanboy. Id probably love the 9.3 too if i had one. But these things are my very favorite. They have some real punch and useful range.

I also like stuff that represents a great deal of usefulness and is cost effective. Thats what ive come to find in 308win and 180gr bullets. Ive also recently aquired for the first time a 270win and jave found a great deal of very affordable factory ammo and also bullet components. I dont know why it took this long to recognize that but finally i did. I cant wait to use it. It makes more sense than a 257 Roberts in that theres a good deal of crossover in weights that are close and the economy and availibity of the 270 is really good. Even now.

Ive nothing against my 257 Roberts. I may be nostalgic because i do love the 348win. But really im not a cool kid and just wonder why a 257 is so revered. I think im finding out it more of a club or "me too" thing but thats alright and nothing wrong with it if it floats ones boat or dingy or yacht.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
rickt300,

Apparently you don't have much experience with any other so-called "premium" bullets than TTSXs. They're great bullets--Eileen and I have killed some game every year since they appeared--but I have used a bunch of other bullets that penetrate more than sufficiently on big game from 100-pound animals like pronghorn to 800-1500 pound animals from elk to moose and buffalo. But have shot lengthwise through pronghorn bucks with 120-grain 6.5mm Nosler Ballistic Tips. Won't mention the cartridge because too many here would throw a schidt-fit.

Might also mention that I started using Nosler Partitions back when they were still lathe-turned. The two I first used (because I had so few rifles back then) were the 130-grain .270 and 200-grain Partition. Never recovered any, on game up through elk.

I like the Partitions a lot but there was a time when bullet weight meant a lot more than it does now. I feel many bullets including some cup n cores have improved greatly since 40 years ago. I still have some lathe turned Noslers in 30 caliber. I used some of the 150 gr. 308's year before last. Think I have a full box of 200 grain old style Partitions. Back in the 70's and 80's I used 150 grain bullets in my 270 and 180's in my 30-06 because both rifles did double duty on elk and deer. I guess I am nostalgic for the era when I used the heavier bullets most, I used Partitions then when I could get them. Or Speer Hotcors when I couldn't. Now having just at least one rifle in all the major bore diameters up to .358 I play with lots of different bullets. For do it all deer hunting using cup and core bullets I still like at least 120 grain bullets. I will use lighter bullets though depending on how and where I am hunting. If recoil isn't a problem the heavies can still work just fine. My 260 is loaded with 100 gr. Partitions right now pushed to an easy 3200 fps. Works pretty good and I can't think of anything I wouldn't use that load for that I would a 120 gr. Bullet. Soon as I accept reality I am going to pick one bore diameter and use it for all my big game hunting and two for coyotes. Thinking about that I realize the impossibility of it......

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Right! ..... Deer are not that big or hard to kill.

I always used Hornady 100gr SPs in my 257 w/o any troubles but may have to switch soon when they run out.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Last Wednesday I found a box of them on a table at a flea market for $11.. Will try em when the brass loaded with 100 gr. Ballistic tips is empty.

Last edited by rickt300; 03/05/21.

Dog I rescued in January

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.