Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
ok fellas i'm about to send both cz-455 stainless barrels off for a chop/thread. got 2 places in mind and was wanting to get y'alls perspective on the 2 before making my final decision. jim pixley vs karl feldkamp.. one any better than the other as in quality of threads and concentricity of the bore while using a suppressor?
thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Personally I would just take it to a local machinist for muzzle threads. Or even if you have a neighbor with a metal lathe who is an experienced hobbyist. Its not a rocket science type of operation and it doesn't need to be CNC. A manual lathe can do a great job. The most important ingredient is competent machining skills. It could even done on a small lathe since the 455 barrels are removable, as opposed to the pressed and pinned barrels that are usually passed through the headstock on a bigger lathe. Hope that helps.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Exergy is perfectly correct.

And the 455 is quite simple to remove the barrel from. If the breach shank is chucked on center and the tail stock is perfectly centered the whole job is only about 10 minutes. I have done more of these kind of jobs then I can count.
Anyone with a lathe that know how to use it can cut your threads in very short order, and give you perfect concentricity by turning the barrel on centers.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Here's another thing to think about. And I am not sure if there is universal agreement on this, but its what I like to do. Instead of just chopping it at a round number for the barrel length (16.5 or whatever), drive some lead slugs down the barrel with a wooden dowel and mark a tight spot to be the new muzzle. You might be surprised what you discover and how much variation there is. As it stands from the factory, I bet your CZ barrel opens up in the middle then tightens down right at the muzzle.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I will be the dissenting opinion here, not on the difficulty of the job, but on how carefully some gunsmiths will make sure the threads are concentric to the bore. I have had to chop a number of barrels shorter based on nice-looking but non-concentric jobs, a few done by local gunsmiths, though most of the worst jobs were done by the factory.

Any good rifle builder, rather than local smith, will do a good job. The only issue being turnaround time. I will use adco if it's just a threading job. They are usually faster than all the rifle builders I use.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ed, the one's you speak of are great....but you're going to pay a premium to send your barrel across the country to Karl when there are certainly locals that can do this.

I'm a indicate the bore fan too.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't imagine somebody doing this job without indicating the bore, but there are certainly guys out there who don't know what a range rod is, among other things. I would think this would include a lot of guys who own a lathe for threading, but don't do gunsmith work specifically...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Set up takes more than 10 minutes, and then making the threads. Indicating off the bore both sides of the head stock.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,324
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.