Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is Gunbroker the best way to determine firearm values?

I have recently decided to pare down a collection to only the guns I use, as a philanthropist of course, hopefully helping others to recognize their own ownership goals.

How do you guys decide price?

Thanks in advance.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
GunBroker sucks since everything there is over priced. I have used GunsAmerica and punched in what I am looking to price and I do that at least twice a week for 3 or 4 weeks to get a good average idea. Got to use the law of averages because sometimes things sell real cheap and sometimes they sell way too high and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like what I just saw on Gunbroker: I've got two Yugo 48 Mausers and somebody has one with the starting bid at $1,099.00 !!!!

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I use Guns International. And, prior to the current panic, subtract 20 to 25% for a real world price.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys!
Just wanting to move some iron without getting ripped off.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gunbroker is a good resource if you look at the actual selling prices of completed auctions instead of the asking prices, and you still need to dig a bit in the results to see which variations/calibers etc are bringing the higher prices. Go to Advanced Search and click the tab for completed items.

Also, selling an item through an auction instead of a fixed price classified ad truly lets the market determine the value.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Gunbroker completed sales is the way to go. Click on "advanced" that's just to the right of "Search", then completed items. Fill in the info.

This helps eliminate dreamers just asking,, not getting some of their prices.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Best way is to get a Gunbroker account. That will allow you to see closed auctions and know what like items actually did sell for. Look at current items with bids and follow them to see where they close. Much of the bidding takes place at the very end of the auction. Listings that are NOT selling also tell you something. Of course the venue in which you sell will also determine what you will actually get for your own items. A dealer will gladly buy your quality items but only at a price that allows him a margin for resale. Best of luck.

/Edited: Sorry to be redundant. The previous posters nailed it for you.

Last edited by WMR; 03/04/21.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Gunbroker, Blue Book of Values, Gun IntrL, and a few web searches.

Between GB and GI - you'll get an idea of what is selling, what is sitting, and what is dreaming.

The Blue Book is good if the firearm is obscure - or niche, or so far out of production there is no record of it.

I've found the BB to be a good resource for the "rare" "mint" "one of one" claims as well - there is a decent amount of knowledge on what is actual data.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Gunbroker always did everything I wanted and expected. Other than those that have unrealistic starting bids it’s an AUCTION site and the buyers/market have the final say as to what something is “worth” at that moment in time.

For anyone to claim that they’re “overpriced” ignores the fact that the buyer determines the price NOT THE seller (in most cases). Gunbroker is the most familiar and most popular of the gun auction sites and as such it enjoys a huge audience.

As to determining price..... it was my practice to start the bidding at the absolute lowest amount that I’m willing to sell the item for and let the buyers determine from there what it’s “worth”.

I’ve had great luck with GB and for the most part I found most buyers to be straight shooters (pun intended).

Good luck. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hell no...
25% off the top at least from those C19/Riot prices.
Marking your stuff with a buy now price of 10% to 15 % lower than the D bags listings who dont option the buy it now price will draw buyers turned off by minimum bids or ones who are giving up on an auction cause it is being run up or lost the auction

And neither is the 2009 or 2016 Blue book of gun values price at mee maw and paw paws LGS or the old pricks at the gunshow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Gunbroker always did everything I wanted and expected. Other than those that have unrealistic starting bids it’s an AUCTION site and the buyers/market have the final say as to what something is “worth” at that moment in time.

For anyone to claim that they’re “overpriced” ignores the fact that the buyer determines the price NOT THE seller (in most cases). Gunbroker is the most familiar and most popular of the gun auction sites and as such it enjoys a huge audience.

As to determining price..... it was my practice to start the bidding at the absolute lowest amount that I’m willing to sell the item for and let the buyers determine from there what it’s “worth”.

I’ve had great luck with GB and for the most part I found most buyers to be straight shooters (pun intended).

Good luck. 👍

Good advice. Nobody is twisting anybody’s arm to purchase firearms or ammo. It’s a free country as of now, bid or not bid. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Backroads: There is a LOT of skullduggery that goes on at gunbreaker.
False bidders, run-ups etc.
Use them at your own risk for determining prices.
I sell VERY few guns but buy a LOT of guns - never once felt the need to do so via gunbreaker!
I have bought NUMEROUS guns off of this site though - from long standing members only.
You don't mention what type or brand of guns you are interested in evaluating for sale but I would suggest you seek out a competent and trusted collector of such guns and make it worth his while to give you fair evaluations for the guns you wish to sell.
If just a few guns then picture them and ask for guidance from the members here.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I use Guns International. And, prior to the current panic, subtract 20 to 25% for a real world price.

This... What ya got?

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a price you are happy with from GB, then list 'em right here in our classifieds. smile

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am confident pricing the guns that I know and have bought, not so much with the ones inherited that I did not purchase myself.

The thought of taking all the pics and placing descriptive adds seems exhausting currently, might just take them 20 at a time to the LGS on consignment. Or wait til retirement to do it properly.

Thanks again!

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just one more thought. I have seen Gunbroker sellers who will sell your guns on consignment for what seem like reasonable commissions. This might give you access to a very broad market without all the hassle of listing and selling yourself.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by WMR
Just one more thought. I have seen Gunbroker sellers who will sell your guns on consignment for what seem like reasonable commissions. This might give you access to a very broad market without all the hassle of listing and selling yourself.

Not trying to bust your chops.
But why would anyone do this.
Basically the guy makes you an ad from pics you send him.
He gets a slice of the pie for something you can do yourself.
And you are doing the packaging, shipping ect ect ect all the normal stuff to get a gun on its way. And at most he provides you with the receiving FFL info and how to pay him his fee. And is the guy doing the ad paying the Gunbroker sale fee built into his margin.

Makes no sense if Im doing basically everything and all this cat is doing is making a ad and relaying info.

Just saying.....

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Backroads
I am confident pricing the guns that I know and have bought, not so much with the ones inherited that I did not purchase myself.

The thought of taking all the pics and placing descriptive adds seems exhausting currently, might just take them 20 at a time to the LGS on consignment. Or wait til retirement to do it properly.

Thanks again!

Why not list em on here???
Ads are not hard to do.
You got an Lgs to ship em from.
Probably less cost paying to use their FFL to ship than what their consignment % is.

Last edited by renegade50; 03/05/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Backroads
Is Gunbroker the best way to determine firearm values?

I have recently decided to pare down a collection to only the guns I use, as a philanthropist of course, hopefully helping others to recognize their own ownership goals.

How do you guys decide price?

Thanks in advance.
Using GunBroker as an aid in determining a firearm's value is hugely different from selling on GunBroker or buying on it. IMO if you're talking about common to fairly common guns, GunBroker can be a huge aid in normal times, especially if one looks at completed auctions, as others have said. GunBroker has more guns for sale than anyplace else. Seeing what they're bringing there cannot be a bad thing. In these troubled and weird times, determining what you can get for a given firearm can be problematic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.