Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by hoytcanon
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Almost. Pike bad. Pickerel good.

You'll understand one day. laugh

I understand what you understand.

No. I don't think you ever will. 😆

Originally Posted by Nollij
It is always interesting to hear the different regional names/nicknames for fish.

It is. We called them northerns too. Hammer handles were small, immature pike.

Very well... best wishes for 2021.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
This should clear matters up. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sse
Hello, sir... I guide for Camp Esnagi in Northern Ontario, widely recognized as one of the best walleye pike fisheries in Ontario... the lake is 27 miles long and pristine wilderness. It is a remote access lake, so you have to either fly in or train in from Sudbury or White River, Ontario... I would recommend the train from Sudbury as the train ride is.a nice experience in itself. The lodge has top notch facilities and new boats with 25 hp Yamaha 4-stroke motors... I guarantee that you will love the experience. Google, "Camp Esnagi." This is all pending the USA/CDN border opening for tourism travel. Take care and have a great trip regardless of where you go. Greg.

do you have depart at Sudbury or can you hop on the train somewhere near the Soo, or parts west?

never mind, just checked the map

At any rate, it is a superb lake and fishery, top notch accommodations and service... we have folks who have been coming for 20+ years... I am certain you would enjoy the trip, but Canada is a big place with lots of options... I wish you all the best regardless of where you go. Take care and good fishing!

thanks for the good words...don't mind the resident a hole

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by sse
Hello, sir... I guide for Camp Esnagi in Northern Ontario, widely recognized as one of the best walleye pike fisheries in Ontario... the lake is 27 miles long and pristine wilderness. It is a remote access lake, so you have to either fly in or train in from Sudbury or White River, Ontario... I would recommend the train from Sudbury as the train ride is.a nice experience in itself. The lodge has top notch facilities and new boats with 25 hp Yamaha 4-stroke motors... I guarantee that you will love the experience. Google, "Camp Esnagi." This is all pending the USA/CDN border opening for tourism travel. Take care and have a great trip regardless of where you go. Greg.

do you have depart at Sudbury or can you hop on the train somewhere near the Soo, or parts west?

never mind, just checked the map

At any rate, it is a superb lake and fishery, top notch accommodations and service... we have folks who have been coming for 20+ years... I am certain you would enjoy the trip, but Canada is a big place with lots of options... I wish you all the best regardless of where you go. Take care and good fishing!

thanks for the good words...don't mind the resident a hole

Nah, it's all good... you know that Trooper and George Straight agree... "I'm here for a good time, not a long time." LOL.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's good.

You'll find out very quickly that super sonic enema and a few others stop in from time to time, embarrass themselves and are usually run off for a while.

Stand by and you will see what I mean.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I worked in a career for 35 years that demanded reading people quickly and accurately... I have a good handle on how the landscape lays...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Hawk, like those PFD's!

Are they retarded?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MarineHawk;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a decent one for you and all in your world who matter are well.

While I'm not wabigoon, I do like to fish and swim with the very best stones, so am an avid and habitual user of a PFD any time I'm in a boat, canoe or kayak.

This is the last information I was able to find about fishing folks drowning up here - it's from 2009 so likely if anything there's more folks out on the water now - but that's a guess on my part.

Here's from an article on the subject in the Globe and Mail.

"On a more practical note, it is worth observing that at the start of a new fishing season, many men also go fishing and never come home.

Fishing may be relaxing, it may be fun, or it may be work for some. But fishing is also the activity most frequently associated with drowning and other water-related fatalities.

In the decade from 1991-2000, there were 5,900 water-related deaths in Canada; of that total, 889 died fishing.

More fishers drown than swimmers. And more fishers die than power boaters, canoeists, scuba divers, sailors and kayakers combined."

Anyways sir, I for one see a PFD as part of my fishing gear and kudos to you all for taking what I believe to be a sensible approach to not becoming a statistic.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sse
i've eaten pike i pulled thru the ice, no problems

Yep, I'll keep a 26-30"er from cold water.

Conversely, I don't eat our perch in summer (wormy).

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I worked in a career for 35 years that demanded reading people quickly and accurately... I have a good handle on how the landscape lays...

grin laugh TFF !!

& for what it's worth, I agree with you.

Paul.

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by sse

in my case they had access to migrate between the lake and the big lake, looked different and tasted very good

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

grin laugh TFF !!

you can always buy his comic book, order direct from Charmin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Now, now !

I'm stocked up. Been layin it away !

smile

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by sse

in my case they had access to migrate between the lake and the big lake, looked different and tasted very good

Piles of goodness !

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sse

grin laugh TFF !!

you can always buy his comic book, order direct from Charmin

When I need to poke the bear, they stay down !

Paul.

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cra1948
Eaten a ton of large walleye, never had one taste like mud !

So have I and I don’t think I ever had a walleye that wasn’t good. Pike, on the other hand, I don’t care for, period. Maybe I ate too many growing up.

I grew up in sight of Brockville, Ontario, and we always called walleye “pickerel” even though we knew better.

Yep! I have been fishing Canada for at least 50 years including places mentioned like Brockville and La Verendrye. Early on everyone up there referred to walleye as pickerel. Now that has changed.

I also remember everyone hated pike and they killed them because they were "trash fish" and "ate walleye". I loved to catch them. How could anyone not like catching a 10 to 15 pound fresh water fish that fought like them?

I started eating pike about 20 years ago while staying at a lodge in Quebec. The operator would take 8 to 12 pound pike and debone the meat, cut it in cubes and deep fry it. Done that way pike is delicious.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by sse

Piles of goodness !

yer gonna need a lot of fry oil and lemon for that

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Until the border closed we went pike fishing in Alberta every year for the last 20. Its a catch and release lake but one evening you are allowed to keep one fish under 6 pounds-invariably a male at that size. The lodge owner would filet and fry them up. I absolutely won't eat fish with fins...but I made a once yearly exception for that! It was excellent. Every bit as good as any walleye I ever had back when I was eating fish.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Until the border closed we went pike fishing in Alberta every year for the last 20. Its a catch and release lake but one evening you are allowed to keep one fish under 6 pounds-invariably a male at that size. The lodge owner would filet and fry them up. I absolutely won't eat fish with fins...but I made a once yearly exception for that! It was excellent. Every bit as good as any walleye I ever had back when I was eating fish.

I like to make lemonade from lemons. With the reduced pressure on fish and game for a year or two, numbers will rise. Certainly, the downside is the businesses who depend on tourism will suffer. Some have already gone out of business and more are heading down that road. Humans are resilient however. We will bounce back.

We will welcome you back soon. Keep the faith. Hooah!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by abbydog
We are contemplating fishing trips in Canada and would like an adventure. I told my son and his bud I would pickup $1,500 each and airfare since I have 300,000 points. So far I have taken a look at Grizzly Creek Lodge, Dave and Reggie’s remote cabin and that is first on my list but ultimately they will have a choice as well. As far north and west as the NWT and NOrth of us Quebec and the Maritimes. I am a trout guy, they like anything and everything!
Thanks in advance for your help.

Also looking at hunting trips in Canada and the U.S. My son and I are moose hunting this year in NF. We hope!! Both vaccinated so that will help i m thinking.

Would love to have you guys abbydog. Hard to say whats going to happen at this point. The Yukon Govt announced today that 21K people have been vaccinated as of today ( March 5th) so thats a positive since our total population is only about 35K The fact that its an election year here might help as well, but the truth is, at this point we just dont know if the border will be open for the the 21 season or not. All we can say with any confidence is that anyone who has a booking with Grizzly Creek lodge for the 21 season will get first choice of dates for 22 if it comes to that. One of Yukon's best kept secrets is big pike.....real big pike. 40 plus inchers are quite common.

Last edited by yukon254; 03/05/21.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,776
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.