Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by Teeder
Starman, Thanks for posting. That was pretty interesting. Loved the Les Paul!

I generally don't go for that skinny string stuff though. wink

[Linked Image]

Alembic Distillate - early '80's
Ric 4001
'62 Precision - Reissue?

Good taste, what amp do you use?

Good eye.

'82 Distillate
'69 4001
'62 slab board P (real one)

At home I use an Ampeg B-15R loaded with a EV speaker.
Gigs I use a Mesa Subway D-800+ with a 2X10 and a 1X15 with a customized '92 Rick 4001V63.

Last edited by Teeder; 03/05/21.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by killerv
Danny Gatton was better than all of'em
BINGO !! This is the first time I have ever seen Danny's name mentioned in one of these "greatest guitar player" threads and I cannot count how many times I have been tempted to post comments and some of his recordings here. Many of the guitar "experts" probably would be heavily jolted when listening to some of that stuff. Technique !! Taste !! Versatility some would not believe !!

He stayed fairly local in his perfoming and I was fortunate to hear him and sit in a bit when we lived near DC. His versatility - hear the jazz album with Joey DeFrancesco on organ, the Hot Rod Guitar album with his own group (then cite one of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90,s rockers that could cover all of that playing.) Good to find there is another Campfire guy who gets it with Danny Gatton. This is why the proclamations about Cobain, Hendrx, Prince, etc,, etc., etc. tickle my bones.

For those who have not, try a listen.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Starman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is best at entertaining folks is subjective.
I don't see the point in putting Cobain or anyone else
down to prop up one's own favorite.
_We could also argue who is the best comedian
and it would vary according to one's own sense
of humor and subject matter.
_Let's just say music is a "broad church" but there
are those intolerant and judgemental of others in
the same church.
_Interesting that respected masters like Knopfler
don't spend their time degrading others like some
here do.

_Would any CF critics like to offer an assessment
of Angus Young?..I find him entertaining and have
for over 40 yrs , but maybe that's not enough.. whistle

Angus_Y. explaining guitar ...

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Jimi Hendrix said Phil Keaggy. I agree. All mentioned except Cobain are really special but Phil Keaggy takes the cake in my opinion.
I think you guys are being too tough on Cobain. Sure, he wasn't technically proficient but he could come up with simple riffs that absolutely rocked.
Maybe I missed the comments, but did not see anyone say anything rough about Cobain as a guitar player. But, I will. His stuff is like coffee grounds compared to any one of a hundred guitar artists. And, those are not actually riffs in the original sense.

Cobain was a no talent hack. Should’ve used the shotgun sooner.
Well he's got one video on YouTube with 1.2 BILLION views. Not too bad for a hack.
As often said, there is no accounting for poor taste. How many such views do the vulgar rapper guys have - and are you impressed by those numbers to the point where you would praise them as well? Cobain had a niche due to the listening preferences of some fans - lots of them - and he was a junkie, and he offed himself - all of which seems to have added to his "mystique" and none of which made him a great guitarist.

Oh quit being an arrogant pompous prick. I never said he was a great guitarist. You seem very impressed with yourself, and I don't like that at all. I'm not going to argue this but comparing Nirvana to some dumbass rappin negro is pretty funny.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Knopfler, Gatton, Peter Green, Gary Moore, Roy Buchanan, Rory Gallagher, Duane Allman, Dicky Betts are among my faves, with a couple of others previously mentioned, that should inhabit the top 10 of any best guitarist list, IMO. There are many good guitar players, only the greats can make em weep.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Someone posted this here the other day. This, too me, is pretty fuggin incredible.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 03/05/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
What is best at entertaining folks is subjective. I don't see the point in putting Cobain or anyone else down to prop up one's own favorite. We could also argue who is the best comedian and it would vary according to one's own sense of humor and subject matter. Let's just say music is a "broad church" but there are those intolerant and judgemental of others in the same church. - - - - - -
Yes - some folks do need to be entertained - which is just fine, and that may be their operating sphere. However, more sophisticated thinkers usually entertain themselves. They certainly realize the very fundamental and serious differences between entertainment and the acts of understanding /appreciating the realm of art, and proficiency of skills, and sensitivity to nuance in musical endeavors.

Some "entertainers" are good at what they do - which is to help create enjoyment for the consumer, and those are acclaimed. Other entertainers are less liked and some are simply panned because they are not so enjoyable. Yes, subjective judgement. So, putting down entertainers is the work of critics and the common crowd as well. This grading and panning happens every day. It is not "church" - it is human behavior.

Beyond personal entertainment, artistic creativity, high levels of artistic skill and ability to perform exquisitely are the point of focus. The wise observer can objectively evaluate and assess while setting aside the need for "entertainment" - even though the experience may be highly entertaining. Still, performers are judged - some score high,others not so high, and some are "put down", usually because they do not meet some criteria. Discriminating beings understand these natural acts. Some do it with food, others with trucks, some with music.

It is not surprising that you would bring "church" into the discussion and take opportunity to claim that some in the "church" of art/music/etc. are intolerant and judgemental of others in the "church". Nice try - but it does not work.that way - not at all. For the thinking person, it is not at all a matter of intolerance. Aesthetic evaluation (judgement) is not a religion - it is an intellectual and artistic endeavor. Why not try it?

Starman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Jimi Hendrix said Phil Keaggy. I agree. All mentioned except Cobain are really special but Phil Keaggy takes the cake in my opinion.
I think you guys are being too tough on Cobain. Sure, he wasn't technically proficient but he could come up with simple riffs that absolutely rocked.
Maybe I missed the comments, but did not see anyone say anything rough about Cobain as a guitar player. But, I will. His stuff is like coffee grounds compared to any one of a hundred guitar artists. And, those are not actually riffs in the original sense.
Cobain was a no talent hack. Should’ve used the shotgun sooner.
Well he's got one video on YouTube with 1.2 BILLION views. Not too bad for a hack.
As often said, there is no accounting for poor taste. How many such views do the vulgar rapper guys have - and are you impressed by those numbers to the point where you would praise them as well? Cobain had a niche due to the listening preferences of some fans - lots of them - and he was a junkie, and he offed himself - all of which seems to have added to his "mystique" and none of which made him a great guitarist.
Oh quit being an arrogant pompous prick. I never said he was a great guitarist. You seem very impressed with yourself, and I don't like that at all. I'm not going to argue this but comparing Nirvana to some dumbass rappin negro is pretty funny.
Why don't you simply resort to low-level name calling - because you don't like what someone else posts?? I never said you claimed Cobain was a great guitarist - I simply pointed out the criteria you used (number of views) to uphold the guy - and wondered if you used the same criteria for rappers. You don't like that? Surprise ! You said " comparing Nirvana to some dumbass rappin negro is pretty funny." I agree - that is why I used that example. Maybe try having fun instead of resorting to ad hominem rant.

Starman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

It is not surprising that you would bring "church" into the discussion and take opportunity to claim that some in the "church" of art/music/etc. are intolerant and judgemental of others in the "church". Nice try - but it does not work.that way - not at all.

Nobody in the broad church of their chosen field
is intolerant or judgemental ?

Surely you don't believe it only exists in one's religion ?

This grading and panning happens every day. It is not "church" - it is human behavior.

Human behavior that extends well beyond a religion
or any one chosen field.

I've also heard politicians use the term 'broad church'
to describe the conflicting differences of opinion within
their own party.

As often said, there is no accounting for poor taste.

Well Knopfler is on record saying he still likes
cheap guitars...which might not sit well with highly
developed sophisticated types such as yourself.

"Loving guitars means you’ve got to love the cheap ones as well...
Boy, I loved them and I still do. You never escape that.”

-Musicradar Dec. 2918.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman

It is not surprising that you would bring "church" into the discussion and take opportunity to claim that some in the "church" of art/music/etc. are intolerant and judgemental of others in the "church". Nice try - but it does not work.that way - not at all.
Nobody in the broad church of their chosen field
is intolerant or judgemental ?Surely you don't believe it only exists in one's religion ?
This grading and panning happens every day. It is not "church" - it is human behavior.

Human behavior that extends well beyond a religion or any one chosen field.I've also heard politicians use the term 'broad church' to describe the conflicting differences of opinion within their own party.
As often said, there is no accounting for poor taste.

Well Knopfler is on record saying he still likes cheap guitars...which might not sit well with highly developed sophisticated types such as yourself.
"Loving guitars means you’ve got to love the cheap ones as well...Boy, I loved them and I still do. You never escape that.” /Musicradar Dec. 2918.

You still can't seem to resist showing your heavy proclivity for ignorance of normality in the human condition - your bias and disdain show like a beacon, as well as your dedication to punch at those who worship other than do you.

Your use of the term "church" for any sort of field of study or endeavor is obtuse and inapplicable. The object there for normal humans is not worship. Keep in mind, you inserted the term "religion" into this discussion - it was never in my thoughts.

Do you really think it is germane in the least - even worth a tick - to know what terms (church) these politicians apply to their party troubles? Really?

I admire Mark Knopfler's playing and his musical taste (not so much his singing) and so the "accounting for poor taste" is not applicable in your example. Knopfler is like any other accomplished and well-traveled musician - at times he happens to try to make music on an inferior instrument. Most have done so at one time or another - ever really use your ear to listen to an old club or bar piano - it's the only available tool that night. I started my learning on a really rotten clarinet. Try this - taste is internal human judgement - it is not the quality of the tools available to you. Try reading this post again - you might learn something new - and tasteful - and not church-like.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,647
Posts18,512,558
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.