Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Has anyone ever worked on golf carts? I have a 1996 Club Car 48 volt electric golf cart and it Has an intermittent "cut out/jerk" when you push the pedal. You can be driving along then it's just like you let up on the gas pedal then floored it again. I checked the batteries and they test out good on the volt meter so that's not the problem. I pulled the speed sensor and cleaned it which didn't help either. I suspect it could be the mcor but thats a LOT of money just to replace it and hope it fixes it. Is there any way I can test it to see if its working or anyone have any other ideas ?

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like you have a short or worn brush in the motor. The armature and main windings are series though the brushes. If a brush loses contact it is like disconnecting the power cable. It does this while bouncing around as you drive. Disconnect batteries, remove band around brushes look at brush holder to see if brushes are below brush holder. Probably have to remove motor to replace the brushes. No big deal, just mark all four wires before you remove them. Word of advice, jack up cart, at least one rear wheel and block it up before working on it. Bad when they take off when hooking wires back up. Brushes are cheap, can't go wrong replacing them if you are not sure about them. If armature has a nice chocolate color to copper bars leave it alone. If it has signs of pitting from arcing because of short brush, polish lightly with emery cloth. Don't polish copper bars below insulator segments between bars, this will cause brush jump and more arcing. Than you will have to cut insulator down with modified hacksaw blade to about 3/32" below copper. Most cart motors have four brushes. Replace all four if you replace any. Usually four bolts to remove motor. Good luck, you got this.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Google is your friend, probably just a solenoid, or key switch. My brother is our Club Car mechanic, we call him short circuit, he can fix anything when it comes to wiring. The good news is, we have 5 Club Cars and haven't had a motor go out on any of them, and the three 48 volt models have never needed a computer. This is good stuff for golf carts.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speed controllers are a common issue.
Anything from a loose wire to a bad speed controller or related solenoid would be first thing I'd check.

Probably some good youtube videos on speed controller issues

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Google is your friend, probably just a solenoid, or key switch. My brother is our Club Car mechanic, we call him short circuit, he can fix anything when it comes to wiring. The good news is, we have 5 Club Cars and haven't had a motor go out on any of them, and the three 48 volt models have never needed a computer. This is good stuff for golf carts.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Not a whole lot out there on it as the info is all over the place with the basic approach of replacing parts and hope it fixes it.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JeffA
Speed controllers are a common issue.
Anything from a loose wire to a bad speed controller or related solenoid would be first thing I'd check.

Probably some good youtube videos on speed controller issues

The speed controller is part of the mcor which runs almost $400 not to mention it's built through the frame so obviously I want to be sure thats it before I go down that road. I haven't found a bad wire and the selinoid is clicking like it should, not saying it still couldn't be bad.......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wife's 48v Club Car was doing the same thing.

Put a $1000 worth of Trojan batteries in it, and it stopped. Runs fine now. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Put a $1000 worth of Trojan batteries in it, and it stopped. Runs fine now. wink

You could load test each battery seperately to make sure it is not a battery loosing connection

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buckthumper
Has anyone ever worked on golf carts? I have a 1996 Club Car 48 volt electric golf cart and it Has an intermittent "cut out/jerk" when you push the pedal. You can be driving along then it's just like you let up on the gas pedal then floored it again. I checked the batteries and they test out good on the volt meter so that's not the problem. I pulled the speed sensor and cleaned it which didn't help either. I suspect it could be the mcor but thats a LOT of money just to replace it and hope it fixes it. Is there any way I can test it to see if its working or anyone have any other ideas ?

Need to load test, if you do not pull a load they could test just fine on a voltmeter

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by chris_c
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

You could load test each battery seperately to make sure it is not a battery loosing connection

Did that and they tested good

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mcor's can be fussy and hard to diagnose. When we had a club car fleet we had a spare mcor to install for such situations.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like to find cheap things wrong, I'm looking at those three micro switches in the circuit.

Being there with a meter would be a lot easier.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by akasparky

Thank you! That sure looks like it so I shouldn't have an issue with figuring out which wire is which.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd look closely at the three limit switches that appear to be mounted on the back of your forward/reverse switch for a loose mounting screw or loose wire.

Not really sure of their function, I don't work on carts, but everytime you move that switch they are involved. Something on that switch trips them mechanically and anything that moves often can get loose pretty easily.

Chasing the wire shows they are involved with both your controller and solenoid.

They are calling them limit switches because of their function in this application. They are more commonly referred to as micro switches and they are easy to find and cheap to replace.
They can be fragile and become damaged, they're also susceptible to moisture.

Intermittent problems can be a bitch to locate.
Best of luck.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, all of the micro switches are a timing thing. IE they have to be either on or off in a sequence for the whole thing to work right. Could be loose, worn out or bad wire. If I had to Guess it is the MCOR. Batteries have to be tested under load to see if they are any good. Volt meter at at least 13.8v with a charge, but no guaranty they would handle a load.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Idunno squat about golf carts. I'm just guessin'.

I do know it often takes a 99 cent part to make a 500 dollar fix work.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do yourself a favor and check for a short or sticking motor brush before you spend much time chasing wires, micro switches and such. Easy to do. Especially if many hours on unit. Brush technology hasn't changed for 100 years. They just wear out and sometimes the carbon dust makes the spring adjuster stick and not allow proper brush to armature contact. I've changed dozens for just this reason. Again good luck with your endeavor and keep us posted what you find.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,664
Posts18,493,671
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.