Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Browns Precision Pound'r I picked up pretty cheap.

My barrel is done. No idea what barrel it was Inlet for but the first couple inches left quite a gap.

I plan to fill it with bedding. It's just unsightly. Stock was cheap enough. I enjoy tinkering. I should be able to blend it back in. Then relieve the bedding and bed my action to it.

Should I fill that gap with something other than Devcon? It's not HUGE. But more than enough...maybe 1/8"?

At that point, I may as well refinish the entire stock opposed to trying to paint it to match the weird tan color.

It's tannish with black speckles.

Figured I will sand it back smooth and repaint it. 220 grit or so? Something that gives the paint enough to hold.

If I spray paint and a couple coats of matte clear, will it hold up?? I don't mind it coming off over time. But if I carry it for a couple days, I don't want it all coming off.

Is there anything I can do to add texture? I'd like to add some grip to the forend and grip. Almost considered mixing epoxy and sand and smearing it around or something...just want something grippy. Hate slippery guns. If I'm doing it myself, I'd like to do something that works well and is functional. Just not sure what.

Thanx!

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've had Brown Precision stocks since 1976 or 77.
The only one I still have was painted, I think, in 1976. What I used I don't remember but I know I tried to prep the stock as best I could. Anyway, the paint has chips and scraps but it's held up well.
When I did the stock, and three others after the first, before painting I masked off the grip area and the fore end. I then carefully cut an outline of the area that I wanted to have rough. After removing the cut-out tape, I painted the area with Acraglas and sprinkled sand on the epoxy. When the epoxy got tacky I removed the masking tape surrounding the sanded area. On one stock the outline was basically like a pointed checkering pattern.
The sanded area been on this rifle for many years and still does the job. The rifle has been used quite a bit and exposed to extended periods of rain and cold when I lived in Alaska.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Dian, thank you! Seems as if I'm on the right track!

I'm fine with scratches and chipping and normal wear. And itll likely be a camo job of some sort which tends to take normal use just fine.

I did a plastic Encore stock and didn't rough it or clear coat it and knew I should. It didn't last a day where I carried it. Lol. I know with paint prep is key.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have 2 Brown Pound'r stocks, and they have served me well. Good lightweight stocks that have tremendous strength for their weight.

Yes, to fill the barrel channel, you would just use any epoxy you'd normally use for bedding any other rifle stock but depending on how wide the gap is you need to fill, you may add a lot of weight to the stock in the process of filling. If you want to maintain as light a weight as possible in your gap filling, use a thinner yet strong epoxy like West Systems and mix in micro-balloons (tiny glass bubbles that you can buy from many sources on the 'net). Micro-balloons comes in a powder form. The MB powder both thickens the epoxy and makes the cured epoxy lighter because of the tiny air pockets, yet doesn't reduce strength much. After mixing the epoxy, you just keep adding MB powder until you achieve the thickness you want, approximating the thickness of a normal bedding epoxy. Micro-balloons are used a lot in boat building, so you can buy it from most companies that sell boat building supplies. When using micro-balloons, you have to use a thin epoxy in order to properly suspend and distribute the tiny micro-balloon granules throughout the epoxy mix. I prefer West Systems epoxy with their "207" hardener for this application because it is extremely strong (being the epoxy most commonly used in boat building), thin enough that it works well with the micro-balloons, and gives you about 20 min of working time. Regular bedding epoxy in gel or "putty" consistency won't work very well with the micro-balloons because it is already too thick as-is to properly mix in the micro-balloons and properly suspend them throughout.

If you want to free float your barrel and maintain as small a gap as possible, wrap the barrel in tape, then coat the tape with your release agent. Once the epoxy cures, your gap will only be the thickness of the tape you used. Allow the epoxy to squeeze out along the barrel channel so you will have plenty of excess epoxy height to sand back and form a sharp line on the flats on the top of the barrel channel where the stock forend and barrel mate.

You finish a Brown Pound'r the same way you would any other synthetic stock, except if you sand too deep, the Kevlar fabric underneath the primer will really "fuzz up," as the Kevlar doesn't want to "cut" cleanly. This is just the nature of the material. It's no big deal if this happens; you can just apply epoxy over the "fuzz" with a paint brush, then sand back after the epoxy cures. Any paint that you'd normally use on any other synthetic stock works fine on the Brown Pound'r. Just make sure you fill any pores, imperfections, seams, and exposed Kevlar fabric with epoxy or Bondo and sand smooth to get an even surface before painting. It isn't necessary to prime as long as you have a smooth sanded surface; the epoxy fill is your primer. I use 220 grit paper for the sanding, with a sanding block for the flats, sandpaper wrapped around wood dowels for the rounded surfaces in areas like the comb flutes.

As for texturing the stock, I've done that in 2 ways. One method is to apply thin epoxy over the stock and right as the epoxy is starting to get really sticky just prior to it setting up, stipple the surface with a sea sponge or piece of Scotch Brite pad. This requires some experimentation on a piece of scrap material to get the technique down to your satisfaction. Brownells sells a "Spray Grit" product ( https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...t-filled-paints/spray-grit-prod1140.aspx ) that also works well and is much easier to use than the epoxy stipple method I described, but you still have to experiment a little with spray method/speed to get the texture you want.

My preferred paint for all synthetic stocks is Lauer Weaponry's "Duracoat" because they have a huge selection of colors and because Duracoat is a polyurethane much like the automotive polyurethane paints, which is extremely tough/impact resistant. It wears extremely well. It is also easy to apply, fast curing, and resists runs really well if your spray technique isn't the best, so it's very forgiving. They have Duracoat clear coat in 3 sheens -- gloss, satin, and matte. I always spray clear over my painted stock finishes because it evens out the color coat sheen, looks better, and provides extra wear-resistance. It's available in either bottles of paint/catalyst that you mix and use in a spray rig or airbrush or a ready to go specialized spray can that you press a button on the bottom of the can to activate the catalyst while still inside the can. The only disadvantage to Duracoat is it's pretty expensive.

Ted
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've painted several with wrinkle paint - the high temp stuff seems to work best for me as far as durability, but may need touch up or redo every few years.

I chucked it up in my lathe and turned it at 28 rpm, to help prevent runs and sags, with appropriate surfaces paint-protected. It sounds like your pounder is already painted? If it is the raw stock, you need to go over it thoroughly with Bondo and fill all the pin-holes and casting flaws.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx rifledude! Great information! I appreciate it!

I never considered the weight aspect of filling the gap. I will have to have another look.

I may not do much or any sanding. Even if I don't remove the black speckles on the top, just added texture. Personal hunting rifle....not a show piece or anything. Function over beauty for me. Though I do like it to look nice. I just know matching the color on the gap fill will be next to impossible and I'm not wild about the color anyways. Not bad. Just not my style. So figured I may as well repaint it.

I just couldn't pass the stock up. And I had an action and glass sitting around. Just needed a barrel...which I got. I enjoy tinkering and working on guns. Enough that I'm considering gunsmithing as 2nd career since I should be retired in my young 50s. I got a bit of time yet though. Sounds like the insurance and logistics can make it difficult. Then getting a reputation and customer base...and dealing with needy cry baby entitled people. Lol. Maybe not something I wanna dive into. I'm no pro...but have a decent rounded at home experience. Which is why I keep doing projects like this. Just to learn if nothing else. And I love having stuff Noone else does.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (6MMWASP, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,903
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.