Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I think the certainty of an imminent eruption of Mt St Helens was signaled by a 'growth' on the northwest slope for several days, measurements indicated it was growing about 5 feet every day.
Earthquake swarms are fairly common and not a reliable predictor. Underemployed journalists writing panic pieces shouldn't cause anybody to start nailing up 'for sale' signs.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
A friend of mine was taking care of a dilatometer on the bulge of Mt Saint Helens. After the mountain blew his boss asked him if he thought they could find it and salvage it. One of out junior scientist has Johnston Ridge Observatory named after him. He was on it when the mountain blew and his last words were something like "there it goes". He was in an area deemed to be safe but it was not. They planted a tree at the Menlo Park USGS campus in his honor and later cut it down to make way for a new building. I spent a couple of days near Sprit Lake a few years after the eruption installing a bore hole acelometerr array. Often the mountain would be in clouds and we would have ash raining down on us. The only way out was directly toward the caldera and then across the front of it to get out of the danger zone. The accelometer we placed at a depth of 100 feet failed shortly after we installed it due to being cooked by the heat.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have hopes for black rock desert

That will solve the diesel fuel problem

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mjs3240
A friend of mine was taking care of a dilatometer on the bulge of Mt Saint Helens. After the mountain blew his boss asked him if he thought they could find it and salvage it. One of out junior scientist has Johnston Ridge Observatory named after him. He was on it when the mountain blew and his last words were something like "there it goes". He was in an area deemed to be safe but it was not. They planted a tree at the Menlo Park USGS campus in his honor and later cut it down to make way for a new building. I spent a couple of days near Sprit Lake a few years after the eruption installing a bore hole acelometerr array. Often the mountain would be in clouds and we would have ash raining down on us. The only way out was directly toward the caldera and then across the front of it to get out of the danger zone. The accelometer we placed at a depth of 100 feet failed shortly after we installed it due to being cooked by the heat.

Johnston said: Vancouver, Vancouver this is it.

I don’t live there and I didn’t know his friend, but I remember it from 3rd grade when we did hallway artwork at school. From my ghetto school in Ft Bennin, Ga.

There ya go

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Oh hurry with the "Green New Deal" This will help the odd balls sleep better.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mjs3240

Dave was best friends with my neighbor when I lived in fairbanks. Met him twice. Nice guy and avid rinner.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I would think Mt. Lassen might be a good canidate for eruption. Maybe even Mt. Adams.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Wonder if this is msm stirring up fears so when something happens, or doesn’t, it will validate the end of fracking.
Fracking will either have caused it, or because it’s been banned no eruptions happened.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lived in Eugene and Springfield before and left for Pennsylvania before Mt. St Helen blew. I remember the warnings to old Harry Truman at Spirit Lake. He said he didn't care, he wasn't leaving. I bet that was a hell of a ride.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Heym06
I would think Mt. Lassen might be a good canidate for eruption. Maybe even Mt. Adams.

You and I better hope it's not Shasta, which is still considered active.

A tidbit from my college geology class. How true it is I just have to take for granted from the "expert", a professor and researcher.

In the area a bit North/Northwest of the mountain, there is some really "bumpy" topography. Up near Lake Shastina. Apparently, from the story our class was told, geologist has some theories about what caused it, but nothing really certain. Until St Helen's blew. While studying the aftermath they were able to find very similar spots there after the side blew out.

Being as how I'm only about 100 miles in a direct line from the peak, can see it from a couple of miles up the road. I'm hoping that big bish doesn't blow. Lassen for that matter either.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
IIRC, there are three stages of volcanism: Active, Dormant, and Extinct. Active and Extinct are self-explanatory. Dormant means it hasn't erupted in a long time, but still might. The volcano on the island of Maui last erupted in the 17th century - and it is classified as Dormant. Let that be your scale of "what if".

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

It's hard to comprehend the size of Shasta unless you've climbed it, hiked on it or at least seen it in person. It's just absolutely titanic.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Geno
Aren't you on the other side of the mountain from Shastina?
Man you are going to have the best pics on the Fire ...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Geronimo and Sitting Bull trusted the U S Gov't. also!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Wow, if they all went at once, would that not change the demographics of the Northern Leftist Coast?
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Wow, if they all went at once, would that not change the demographics of the Northern Leftist Coast?
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Mt Baker north then Mt Hood to the south can be seen from the pavement at Mt Rainier Natl. Park on a very clear day.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If it blows, DB Cooper’s remains will never be found.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Growing up was always told the 3 sisters in Oregon were the ones to watch out for. Far as mt hood it all depends which way she blows. If it’s side explosion like St. Helens Portland is all but gone. If it blows towards Hood River I guess it potentially plug up the Columbia river. Bunch of what if’s

Last edited by 79S; 03/06/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
If people would only wear their masks this could be avoided.

ROFLMAO

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
79S the Sisters Bulge was always news. I'm not certain but I think it has stopped expanding

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 63 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.