Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by aalf

Dollars to donuts the crack won't stop there......

I'm gonna start a meme thread entitled "Donuts and crack".

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Its abundantly clear that the LW's break, and often. I don't think anyone here denies it. Its abundantly clear that precautions are taken when mounting and using them. Which begs the question, why would you use them?

Because we all don't agree with you.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ringman
Its abundantly clear that the LW's break, and often. I don't think anyone here denies it. Its abundantly clear that precautions are taken when mounting and using them. Which begs the question, why would you use them?

Because we all don't agree with you.

What don't you agree with?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Brad
and often

BS

There's 27 pics of broken tally's in this thread, and you want to argue the definition of often?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
FWIW, I think very highly of Gary at Talley. Back when I was buying them, I often bought direct and he knew me by name, city, and state. Super good guy, very personable, and he takes care of his customers. I regret feeling the need to move.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So, for those that are wonderin, ctsmith is very much into accuracy, obviously, he’s minute of dime, I’m minute of a bucks ass... 😂😂

I sight my stuff in, shoot my gongs prior to season , Clint shoots his stuff all year long. Carry on 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Line both the caps and bases w/ a 60 deg. arc of 3M Vinyl electrical tape, and then grease the cap screws.

Torque/set/torque/forget.

GR

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
and often

BS

There's 27 pics of broken tally's in this thread, and you want to argue the definition of often?

There are 10's of thousands out there in perfect condition including the over 50 between Big Whoop and I mentioned on this thread (among many others). Threads like this bring out those wanting to brag about their 1-off failures so are statistically unimpressive.

So yes, "often" is BS. "Occasionally" would be a far more accurate adjective. Words and math mean something.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jud, I'm proud you remember my squirrel move. It works! I hope you never have to find out.

Jud is one of two or three people in the world that I enjoy hunting with. We only argue at the campfire. In person we snuggle. grin Not to get mushy, but I love that dude. We all know that shooting gear is meaningless in the end. Jud has his [bleep] together; a better family man there is not. And the dude is the best at hunting/harvesting, processing and preparing critters, fruits, and vegetables. He'd survive long after his Talley's broke. When [bleep] hits the fan, I'm looking for Jud.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Words and math mean something.

Somebody's been watching too much CNN.

Let me fix it for you. Talley LW's break way more often than I (as in me, myself, and I) can tolerate.

Is that acceptable?

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
We all know that shooting gear is meaningless in the end.

Pump the brakes dude.

smile

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Higginez
We all know that shooting gear is meaningless in the end.

Pump the brakes dude.

smile

What the hell was I thinking. My wife is of the age, if you know what I mean. I think I've got the condition where the man feels it too, sympathy I think they call it. I'm not thinking clearly.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not talking down on the Talleys, but what's the fascination with these things? There are dozens of other aluminum rings on the market...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jud, I'm proud you remember my squirrel move. It works! I hope you never have to find out.

Jud is one of two or three people in the world that I enjoy hunting with. We only argue at the campfire. In person we snuggle. grin Not to get mushy, but I love that dude. We all know that shooting gear is meaningless in the end. Jud has his [bleep] together; a better family man there is not. And the dude is the best at hunting/harvesting, processing and preparing critters, fruits, and vegetables. He'd survive long after his Talley's broke. When [bleep] hits the fan, I'm looking for Jud.

😘 thanks lil buddy. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I haven't broken any yet. A buddy did on a 25-06 Fieldcraft/4.5-14x40 30MM Leupold combo shooting 100TTSX's.

I haven't counted but I suspect I have them on at least a dozen rifles from 223 through 375H&H.

If Hawkins did their Hybrids for Kimber and/or Winchester I'd sure like to try them.

Last edited by horse1; 03/07/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by horse1
I haven't broken any yet. A buddy did on a 25-06 Fieldcraft/4.5-14x40 30MM Leupold combo shooting 100TTSX's.

I haven't counted but I suspect I have them on at least a dozen rifles from 223 through 375H&H.

If Hawkins did their Hybrids for Kimber and/or Winchester I'd sure like to try them.

If they (Hawkins) would offer them (Hybrids) in a lower height I'd put them on everything they made them for. Even their low is higher than a 20 MOA rail and Seekins rings.

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 03/07/21. Reason: specify Hawkins Hybrids
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

For the same reason I check, double check and sometimes tweak things on our drag race stuff. If it was simple, it would be bubble packed and on the shelf at WalMart.

Hold it......my last sets of Talley LWs were bubble packed!

What's a poor white kid from the wrong side of the tracks do? -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
and often

BS

There are 10's of thousands out there in perfect condition including the over 50 between Big Whoop and I mentioned on this thread (among many others). Threads like this bring out those wanting to brag about their 1-off failures so are statistically unimpressive.

So yes, "often" is BS. "Occasionally" would be a far more accurate adjective. Words and math mean something.

Technically you are correct but given how simple rings are and how important their function is their failure rate should be close to zero. The failure rate for the Talley LW is low statistcally but still unacceptably high. I've never heard of any other rings that failed that weren't subject to incorrect assembly or abuse of some sort. I know of a set of Al rings with the 4 screw caps that failed because a screw was lost and a different head type screw was put in it's place - giving an uneven torque down that eventually cracked the ring in service. Talleys just fail, and often enough to not be worth the risk.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 03/07/21.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
YMMV but I trust them.
I’m not sure how many I have and have had. I’ve got a few pairs ready to go on as well - they’ll be fine. Some need a little lapping, all get the edges relieved with a file. Takes about 10 minutes. IMHO receiver dimension issues cause most of the misalignment.
Only seen one broken one is person and it appeared that the dimwit thought inch-pounds and foot-pounds were interchangeable. 15 inch pounds is plenty and that ain’t much.
I’ve run over a rifle with the UTV chasing hogs - irreparable scope damage, Talley’s held just fine. I saw a 338 go end over end down a mountain in Wyoming. Scope damaged, stock beat up, Talley’s just fine.

They are pretty light too - I just pulled a Warne rail and low American Precision rings off to exchange for Talley’s - saved 4.3 oz IIRC?

That said I like the Hawkins Hybrids a lot but we need a super low option - 40MM scope in their ‘lows’ looks like an AR carry handle.

Last edited by Achigan1; 03/07/21.
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 1,799 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,362
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.