Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1587258 08/06/07
T
Tag Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
What is the best bivy bag to use? Something to carry during the day in case one needs to spend a night from camp and also for ultra light pack in hunts.......

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You are asking two questions here as an emergency camp is ONE thing and a comfortable lightweight hunting camp is a bit different. However, since you may well be able to only afford a single unit, there IS one I consider "best"in this category.

This is the Integral Designs eVent Unishelter in dark green, using with an ID Syltarp II or III, I prefer the larger version. With a good synthetic bag, I like an ID North Twin and the Renaissance for warmer climes than BC, a 3/4 Thermarest Prolite and a Ridgerest or Z-rest to go under it, you have as close to perfect a camp as available.

There ARE better choices for slightly greater weight and longer trips, but, this is "it" for what you want, it may cost a few $$$, but, it is worth it. Go to www.integraldesigns.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tag
What is the best bivy bag to use? Something to carry during the day in case one needs to spend a night from camp and also for ultra light pack in hunts.......

I don't think "the best" exists for everyone in such broad situations.

As to hunting out of a backpack on a bivy hunt where you need a quick and light shelter for use where ever you may stop for the night? For this and for me, I've tried the bivy combined w/ the light tarp as Kutenay prefers and find this is not for me. The entire package weighs over three pounds and is a PITA to be stuck in for two or three days in wet weather. For that much weight you can get a full coverage shelter that gives you a bit of room to move around in.

I decided to 86 the bivy and get more out of a simple tarp. What I've been using lately is an EXPED Scout Tarp Extreme:

http://moontrail.com/tents/exped_scouttarp.php

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/b43HomePageE?openframeset

This has worked exceptionally well for me on 3-5 day bivy pack hunts. It can be used like any tarp with multiple pitch options, but I find the EXPED system better in design. It's very easy for me to get a good (tight) weather proof pitch leaving ample room for gear and movement in most situations. The whole thing including guy lines and stakes self store in a built in stuff sack which is the size of a nalgene bottle.

I pack the EXPED for shelter on bivy hunts when I cover lots of ground hunting out of my pack and I'm setting up camp each night. I also pack the exped as a cook and/or gear shelter along w/ my tent when I'm hunting out of a base camp. If needed, I can take the EXPED from base camp if I want to go out on a short spike camp hunt.

GVA

Last edited by GaryVA; 08/06/07.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
H
hmt Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Currently I have a crysallis bivy from Integral Designs but am also considering a OR MicroNight Bivy to add to my snowmobiling gear for unplanned overnights ...

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/home/shelter/shelter_bivy/40010

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The problem with using the tarp alone is that it is not completely weatherproof in severe conditions as the ID bivy/tarp combo is. The combo gives AS MUCH coverage as the Scout Tarp doesas it is as large in area; this means both greater protection from weather AND far superior versatility.

My major point concerning WHY I ALWAYS pack a bivy is simple, it is about impossible to erect any tarp if you fracture your ankle, for example, Yet, you CAN lay out your bivy and pad/bag combo and get inside, then, you can fold your syltarp over and around you if you want to for additional protection.

My concern here is not what the lightest possible shelter might be, but, what will ALWAYS work in foul weather to keep you alive should you become injured. I seldom pack my Unishelter now as, for hunts where I expect to camp 2-3 nights, I prefer an ID Mega Sola with an ID Sylwing, this gives more space inside at a not too bad weight.

I have other, lighter rigs for dayhunting fdrom my vehicle and since I often hunt solo, I have a strict call-back system with my wife. BC is NOT a place where you take outdoor safety or survival lightly. So, I still see nothing better than the eVent Unishelter and it CAN work alone, but, a light tarp improves it, IMO.

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
+1 on the MicroNight Bivy

Does everything I need it to.

MS

Hunt Hard, Never Give Up and Take Good Shots
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
How much condensation do you get in your tarp? I have a Henry Shires tarp tent and it ok but you can and do get some condensation. I would think have the bivy bag to protect your bag in a heavy down pour would be ideal. I have only used my tarp tent for summer backpacking and the occasional thunder storm it is ok not as good as a tent with a rain fly in a heavy rain but it will work.

Last edited by ehunter; 08/06/07.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
H
hmt Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Family Tradition,

Have you had the MicroNight in rain yet? I have been having a hard time finding reviews on this bivy online ... I'm curious to how the Pertex holds up to soaking rain ...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ehunter
How much condensation do you get in your tarp? I have a Henry Shires tarp tent and it ok but you can and do get some condensation. I would think have the bivy bag to protect your bag in a heavy down pour would be ideal. I have only used my tarp tent for summer backpacking and the occasional thunder storm it is ok not as good as a tent with a rain fly in a heavy rain but it will work.

A simple trick I use which works very well in small tents and under tightly pitched tarps;

A simple little UCO candle hung from the roof not only eliminates condentsation but also aids in drying out socks, underwear and such overnight. A standard 9hour UCO candle will actually burn about 10-12 hours. This also gives you enough light to read and work by. In cold weather, It will significantly raise the temp of your tent. Even in my Exped Scout Tarp Extreme, when pitched low and tight to the ground for cold weather use, the candle will do an amazing job of providing warmth under the envelope.

GVA

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If, you want the advantages of some singlewall tents and there ARE real advantages with the good ones, such as ID, this is a must. I have an "Outbound" candle lantern and it goes with my Mega Sola, my IDMKI-XL and under a Syltarp III, this really helps with condensation and is kinda cheerful at times when you get lonely on a hard, cold trek.....and we ALL do, every so often.

I am getting a spare soon as two of these inside a winter shelter will make it quite cozy and I won't use any pressurized light/stove inside if camping alone....one flareup long ago was enough.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a few types of bivy. I have one in my daypack but it changes with the season. Right now it is a MLD DWR/Sil bottom bivy. In the fall it is maybe the USGI Gortex bivy or my Bivy tent (Like the ID Solo). Use the Gortex bivy for winter but carry a sleeping bag too.

I tend not to carry a tent in the daypack as if injured I don't think a tent could be set up. However I can crawl into a bivy. I always pack a sil tarp. The bivy works so much better with a tarp.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kutenay
My major point concerning WHY I ALWAYS pack a bivy is simple, it is about impossible to erect any tarp if you fracture your ankle, for example, Yet, you CAN lay out your bivy and pad/bag combo and get inside, then, you can fold your syltarp over and around you if you want to for additional protection.

This is why I prefer my EXPED Scout Tarp Extreme. I can pitch it freestanding and weather tight for wind and rain within a few minutes when I'm ambulatory. I can also pitch this particular tarp from a kneeling or seated position w/ one hand. It's the only tarp system I've found that I can use when injured. I've pitched it on a trip where I dislocated my shoulder and separated my AC joint. I was much better off climbing into my sleeping bag under the tarp than I would have been crawling into my bivy and rolling up in my Siltarp. In addition, hanging my UCO candle lantern under the roof of the tarp made it glow like a beacon in the dark.

I can always roll up in the EXPED if needed and be as protected as in the bivy.

Your system may be ideal for you, but I currently prefer what I'm using for me.

GVA

- Clint Eastwood
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the tip on the candle I never though of that and I will have to try it. Ok guys I have a question when you say hang the candle are you using a stick or somthing to hang the candle in my tarp tent I don't have any inside guy lines to hang any thing nor do I want to touch it the tent da, but curious what you do? I could see using a stick with a fork to hang it off ????

thanks

Last edited by ehunter; 08/06/07.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well, that's what counts although I would find erecting a tarp of any type difficult in wind when injured. So, this is why I like the ID-Unishelter bivy as it is easy to enter when somewhat discombobulated and it has some little headroom to counteract the "bodybag" feeling that most bivies have, even under a tarp.

what do you do for waterproofing your bag or does this tarp keep all water out, even in a sidewind?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That Hilleberg Akto looks nice for a lightweight camp, especially if you want to carry camp on your back and not backtrack when it gets dark. We did that on my last sheep hunt and it saved quite a bit of elevational climbs and time! Now you don't want to stay up too close to where you suspect the game but you don't need to go all the way down to the valley.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 08/06/07.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hilleberg will have a new version of this out in spring, 2008, and it will be called the Soulos, I believe. It will be freestanding, a big advantage in nmountain hunting and should be one of the real benchmarks in this type of tentage.

I can attest from ownership that Hillebergs are just fabulous tents and I would expect the new one to be as good.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just looked at the Microbivy on the website. Seems narrow--max width of 25"???? After a bag is in it, is there any room?

My bivy solution was the Titaniumgoat "crazy diamond tarp". I got it with two poles. This thing is really well thought out, much more than a simple tarp. I got it in the Reflec-tex fabric. Packs down to a big long weiner about 1 1/2" dia. Lotsa room under it and I can carry it in my daypack. It's going elk hunting with me in 2 1/2 weeks along with the TIgoat 6.5UL. Yeeehaw.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kutenay
Well, that's what counts although I would find erecting a tarp of any type difficult in wind when injured. So, this is why I like the ID-Unishelter bivy as it is easy to enter when somewhat discombobulated and it has some little headroom to counteract the "bodybag" feeling that most bivies have, even under a tarp.

what do you do for waterproofing your bag or does this tarp keep all water out, even in a sidewind?

This tarp is preshaped w/ the guy lines and stakeout points built-in. In addition, it has a heavy duty perimeter shock cord tensioner w/ multiple adustment points to take out all slack. You can pitch the tarp w/ all sides above ground using the guy cords for ventilation, you can pitch it w/ the sides flat to the ground or any combination between.

I put the back of the tarp into the wind and stake it down flat to the ground. It is easy to then stake down the left and right sides flat to the ground as the wind blows the tarp in the direction you want it to go. You can use your pack, paddle, hiking staff, or whatever is convenient under the middle ridge. I normally stick the handle of my hiking staff into the built in pocket at the roof and pull the cinch cord to lock it in place(this is easily done w/ one hand). Then just lift it up and plant the staff straight. Then grab the built in guy cord at the opening, pull it to the ground and stake. You can add a second object or staff at opening if you like. Pull the perimeter adjusters(one hand) to remove all slack. At this point the EXPED is flush to the ground on three sides with the center peak higher than the door opening which is now on the Leeward side. Like a Teepee, its shape is very tight and aerodynamic keeping wind and rain out.

Most places I've pitched the EXPED I can start the high-tech stakes by hand before driving them deeper(one hand). Places where I could not place a stake I've been able to use the built in cord along w/ various fixed objects and/or moveable objects to tie down and/or weight down the sides as needed. This can also be done one handed w/ the built in cord tensioners.

It's not for everyone, but it has worked out well for me. If I only use it as an added vestibule to my tent or as a downwind cook shelter in bear country, it would be worth the price. Everything else is gravy.

GVA

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ehunter
Ok guys I have a question when you say hang the candle are you using a stick or somthing to hang the candle in my tarp tent I don't have any inside guy lines to hang any thing nor do I want to touch it the tent da, but curious what you do? I could see using a stick with a fork to hang it off ????

thanks

My Mountain Hardwear tent has an attic attached to fixed points in the tent roof. From this I hang the UCO lantern and place my small items to dry.

The EXPED has a built in pocket at the center peak where I can hang the UCO, but I normally run a length of para cord along the roof ridge between the center pocket or pole and the opening peak. From this I can hang socks and such as well as the UCO. As long as the center peak is higher than the door opening, the tarp will trap and hold a bunch of the warm dry air from the UCO. From the cord, things dry out pretty good overnight.

GVA

- Clint Eastwood
H
hmt Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
believer ... the OR bivy size is a bit deceiving ... they have sidewalls and additional height ... I remember seeing a true circumference size once for one of their other bivy sacks and it was pretty comparable or even a bit larger than other OEM's ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,931
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.