Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Was really looking forward to Barrett releasing the fieldcraft in 6.8 SPC but now that it doesn’t look like it will happen it’s time to build my own. Looking for a short light tree stand rifle for deer but am mostly unsure on the magazine options. Probably going to do the following but I’m looking for input and ideas:

SS REM 700 short action
SS REM sported contour barrel (18”-20” range)
AG CAT or Privateer stock
Leupold VX-6 1-6x24
Talley LW lows

I’m stuck on what to do for the magazine as far as just a BDL floor plate if there is a magazine and follower that will work or if there is a DBM that would work better and be close to flush for hunting? Also looking for smith recommendations to make this happen.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Contact Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge. He can advise you on mag options and supply a bolt with the correct bolt face. I spoke with him years ago on this very topic, but in the end just bought a Hawkeye compact and had Bill Wilson ream it to an SPC-II chamber.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is almost exactly what you spelled out with the exception of a McMillan stock. I use this for the same situation you mention. It is a dream to carry and works great from climbers and ladder stands. There is no recoil and the blast is very minimal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tactical Rifles built this years ago. The bottom metal is aluminum BDL from PT&G.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Another option is to go with the .277 Wolverine. It's based on the .223 case and provides a little more options. I've got a Tikka T3 at the gunsmith now swapping barrels. You will loose some velocity vs the SPC if barrel lengths are equal. I've owned several 6.8 SPC's over the years and it's a sweet round.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have nula in the works now in 6.8spc. it's almost done, it's a barreled action as of now and just waiting on the stock to be made/ painted, hopefully I'll have it by mid april. I went with a 1-8 twist Stainless 18 inch barrel. Its built on the model 20 short bench rest action. I have a Leupold 3-9x33 ultra light for it. I'm figuring on a scoped weight of 5 lb 4 oz. I'll follow up when I get it.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ilikeguns
I have nula in the works now in 6.8spc. it's almost done, it's a barreled action as of now and just waiting on the stock to be made/ painted, hopefully I'll have it by mid april. I went with a 1-8 twist Stainless 18 inch barrel. Its built on the model 20 short bench rest action. I have a Leupold 3-9x33 ultra light for it. I'm figuring on a scoped weight of 5 lb 4 oz. I'll follow up when I get it.

It would be great if you could post some photos of your NULA when it is finished.

Tarquin
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I know I’m just a little out of place since it’s not a “custom build” but I have one in a model 700 police and it’s a fun gun to shoot. Shooting 100 or 110gr accubonds(it’s been a minute since I loaded them) is pure poison on whitetails at reasonable distances and never had one take too many steps from it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by JRS3
This is almost exactly what you spelled out with the exception of a McMillan stock. I use this for the same situation you mention. It is a dream to carry and works great from climbers and ladder stands. There is no recoil and the blast is very minimal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tactical Rifles built this years ago. The bottom metal is aluminum BDL from PT&G.

Neat rifle. I'd like to sit with that in a tree stand, or on a hardwood ridge, or......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The easiest one I ever made was from a Howa 223. Re-barrel and open up the bolt face. That's it!
No magazine work needed at all.

Last edited by szihn; 03/22/21.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Szihn, Did you do yours on the Howa Mini action? No feeding issues? What barrel maker and twist did you go with? Sounds like a neat conversion. Did you go with flush bottom metal? Pictures?

Thanks.

Frank

Last edited by fshaw; 03/22/21.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sorry Frank but I didn't take any pictures. It's just the standard Howa 223 action. This one >>> https://www.howausa.com/rifles/hogue-rifle/ If I had a picture you would not be able to tell the difference other than the barrel being 20" instead of 22". I turned the blank to be the same contour as the old 223 barrel so it dropped right into the stock.

I never changed a single part other then the barrel. NO feeding issues at all, and in fact the 6.8 seems to feed better then the original 223 did. Other then opening up the bolt face and changing the barrel I did nothing else. In fact I never even had to open up the hook on the extractor. I did that rifle for a good friend of mine and so far he's killed about 7 deer with it, and one antelope.
The barrel I used was a Green Mountain blank. Look here>>>>> https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/6-8-b...ith-edition-raw-barrel-blank-1-11-twist/

He's shooting mostly Federal factory ammo with the Fusion bullets and getting sub-MOA with it. I also loaded some ammo with Nosler Accubond 110 grain bullets and H322 powder and they shot even tighter, but my friend Steven got about 10 boxes of the Fusion ammo and he's happy to just use that.

Last edited by szihn; 03/22/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a 6.8 built on a LH CZ 527 that began life as a 7.62x39. The mags were tweaked slightly and it feeds slick as a gut.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ilikeguns

Would love to see it when it’s done as that’s pretty much exactly what I’m looking for. How long ago did you order?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Szihn,

Thanks for the reply sounds like a neat rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ordered in mid October I think. I'll follow up with pics when I get it. I entend to run 90 gr speer gold dots and 85 gr Barnes tsx through it and probably reloader 10x cause I have a bunch. I also have some Hornady custom 100gr gmx ammo too.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My camo bolt above is going to be used by the kids for their first deer. It is a fantastic setup for that.

Knowing what I know now, the only change or modification I would do is to have the muzzle threaded for a suppressor.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.