Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
(Several months ago I introduced this program on the deer hunting forum, but knowing many of you are RMEF members I wanted to share it here, too. Thank you for your support of this youth program that is working hard to introduce and recruit the next generation of hunters!)

On behalf of Mike Christensen, Brittany French, and the many mentors and volunteers in the Pass it On! Outdoor Mentors program, I want to say "Thank you!" and share this picture to show the difference all of you are making as we have kicked off this program...your response and support has been amazing! Yesterday I had the honor of handing all of these knives off to Mike at their office in Wichita and the generous donations that have come from many members here was truly impressive. A few of these custom knives will be used in upcoming events to support fund-raising efforts for the program, but the majority will go directly to youth on future hunts. Other knives have already been given out or handed off to other leaders for upcoming hunts. Some of the knives are new and others are used, but all will bring smiles to youth in the year ahead. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is a long-time supporter of the Outdoor Mentors program and is joining in this effort, too, so there will be lots of youth on future hunts that will be putting a new knife to work on cleaning game for the first time.

[Linked Image]

Just as a young hunter harvesting their first pheasant, turkey, deer or any other game is a celebrated "growing up" moment, I feel that first knife is a rite of passage, too. I see it as another opportunity to teach responsibility. In a previous post I shared comments from several parents and youth that were recipients of knives donated earlier and many put their knife to use shortly after harvesting their first deer. Thanks to your generosity many more youth will have a similar experience in the year ahead as we host more hunts.

If you are interested in supporting the Pass it On! Outdoor Mentors program through a knife donation or some other way (mentor for youth hunts, land owner willing to host youth hunts, financial support, etc), please feel free to send me a pm. Outdoor Mentors has joined as a member here on the forum, so you are welcome to reach out to Mike directly there, too.

Best wishes and thanks again to all who have helped support this program!

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 03/09/21.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That sounds like a great program. Can you share a web link with info? Is this in CO or just KS?

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
That sounds like a great program. Can you share a web link with info? Is this in CO or just KS?

Thanks for asking. Here is a web link and a quick description regarding the history of this growing program: (I know this program has grown beyond what is listed below, too, as Iowa is one of the new states where youth hunts are being offered. A lot of the growth is being coordinated with the rapidly-growing HS trap team leagues in an effort to take youth who are gaining education and experience at the range to now help get them out in the field.)

Pass it On! Outdoor Mentors program

Matching caring adults with a passion for the outdoors with children that want to learn about the outdoors...that's what the Pass It On program is about in a nutshell. A 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to giving children the chance to experience the great outdoors!

Whether it is fishing, camping, hiking, bird watching, archery, hunting, shooting sports, sailing...or just about any other traditional outdoor activity, we work to provide opportunities for children to learn about them in a safe environment from mentors willing to share their time.

What began as an effort on the part of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks to bolster the ranks of hunters and fishers in 1999 has grown beyond the borders of Kansas to include activities in Alabama, Alaska, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin. Thanks to the tremendous support of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the Pass It On program expanded in 2003 with pilot programs in Pennsylvania and Texas. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation played a significant role in making this happen as well.

The Pass It On program has proven to be an effective recruitment tool for BBBS agencies wanting to involve more men in their mentoring programs. It has proven to be an effective tool for introducing children to traditional outdoor activities. And now we are working to expand the program on a national basis. To make it happen, we are working to enlist the aid of BBBS agencies, conservation groups, and interested parties in the outdoor industry to become involved. We need volunteers and we need funding to make it all happen. If you or your organization would like to find out how you can be a part of Pass It On, contact Mike Christensen. Check out the links to Past Events to see the big smiles that result when Littles get a taste of the outdoors! And check out the Calendar to see events we have coming up!

You can find us at:

310 E 2nd
Wichita, KS 67202
316-290-8883

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 03/09/21.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Outstanding program.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

Here is an article featuring Brittany French, Director of Field Operations, that helps describe more about the program:

Brittany French and Pass it On! Outdoor Mentors

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Outstanding program.

P

Thank you for your support!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That’s awesome, I wish we had more programs like that. It’s hard to beat those moraknives, cost effective and can be had in multiple colors to suit the hunter.

NRA Endowment Member
C
C
I'm not sure about knives. Texas on the other hand has free hunts for the youth. Its a drawing that you put in for. I signed my daughter up for a chance at an nigali antelope hunt last year. Didnt get picked, but hopefully next year she will

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Probably the best thing ive read about in a long time

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Coolsun67
I'm not sure about knives. Texas on the other hand has free hunts for the youth. Its a drawing that you put in for. I signed my daughter up for a chance at an nigali antelope hunt last year. Didnt get picked, but hopefully next year she will

The new program working to provide knives to these young hunters is an "add on" to the free youth hunts that Outdoor Mentors provides. Last year there were 200 hunts provided and this year the goal is to double that. A lot of the youth are being reached here in Kansas through the hs teams participating in the Kansas Clay Target League.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.