Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Guys,
I have a Savage 99 in .250-3000 that was made in 1926. It was my grandfather's gun. I want to rescope it so my daughter can take it hunting this year.

It currently is scoped with a Lyman Alaska. .875" tube OD.

It is drilled and tapped 2x behind the action and has a rear mount installed. The front of the scope is mounted oddly. The attachment is where the rear sight would be. The attachment bracket ties to the barrel with one screw. The other end of the bracket has 3 small screws from underneath that go into the front of the scope 'shroud.' The distance from back of rear mount to front of front mount is 11-1/4".

What are my options for bases?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
contact Lightfoot here. he makes a great mount. your mount sounds like the remnants of a stith mount.
Lightfootmountgmail.com

my reading skills are lacking tonight. i see you have the gun scoped so have the entire stith setup. if you want to update it and maintain the value of your gun by not drilling it. the Lightfoot mount allows you to use Redfield or Luepold rings.
it uses the tang screw holes in the rear and the rear sight dovetail in the front. and it looks sexy atop a 99.
here it is atop my EG.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/09/21.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sounds like a stith the 7/8 is desirable

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, a Stith mount with Lyman Alaskan is a fairly pricey setup nowadays. Don't lose any of it if you remove it. The Lightfoot mount is the way to go for putting modern scopes on it, as deerstalker said.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NM_ElkNut
Guys,
I have a Savage 99 in .250-3000 that was made in 1926. It was my grandfather's gun. I want to rescope it so my daughter can take it hunting this year.

It is drilled and tapped 2x behind the action and has a rear mount installed. The front of the scope is mounted oddly. The attachment is where the rear sight would be. The attachment bracket ties to the barrel with one screw. The other end of the bracket has 3 small screws from underneath that go into the front of the scope 'shroud.' The distance from back of rear mount to front of front mount is 11-1/4".

Why rescope it?
The Stith/Alaskan setup is a ~$500+/- value assuming good condition. And it is a "no drill" scope mount solution for 99's that many seek.
If the Alaskan is good, go with it. Otherwise it can be refurbed back to new.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
<!DOCTYPE html>
<!--[if lt IE 7]> <html class="no-js ie6 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7]> <html class="no-js ie7 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 8]> <html class="no-js ie8 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if gt IE 8]><!--> <html class="no-js" lang="en-US"> <!--<![endif]-->
<head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0">

<title>www.24hourcampfire.com | 520: Web server is returning an unknown error</title>
<meta charset="UTF-8" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge,chrome=1" />
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1" />
<link rel="stylesheet" id="cf_styles-css" href="/cdn-cgi/styles/main.css" type="text/css" media="screen,projection" />

</head>
<body>
<div id="cf-wrapper">

<div id="cf-error-details" class="p-0">
<header class="mx-auto pt-10 lg:pt-6 lg:px-8 w-240 lg:w-full mb-8">
<h1 class="inline-block sm:block sm:mb-2 font-light text-60 lg:text-4xl text-black-dark leading-tight mr-2">

<span class="cf-error-type">Error</span>
<span class="cf-error-code">520</span>
</h1>
<span class="inline-block sm:block font-mono text-15 lg:text-sm lg:leading-relaxed">Ray ID: 62ded0b17db054e8 •</span>
<span class="inline-block sm:block font-mono text-15 lg:text-sm lg:leading-relaxed">2021-03-10 19:05:33 UTC</span>
<h2 class="text-gray-600 leading-1.3 text-3xl font-light">Web server is returning an unknown error</h2>
</header>

<div class="my-8 bg-gradient-gray">
<div class="w-240 lg:w-full mx-auto">
<div class="clearfix md:px-8">

<div id="cf-browser-status" class=" relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<div class="relative mb-10 md:m-0">
<span class="cf-icon-browser block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
<span class="cf-icon-ok w-12 h-12 absolute left-1/2 md:left-auto md:right-0 md:top-0 -ml-6 -bottom-4"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">You</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Browser</h3>
<span class="leading-1.3 text-2xl text-green-success">Working</span>
</div>

<div id="cf-cloudflare-status" class=" relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<span class="cf-icon-cloud block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
<span class="cf-icon-ok w-12 h-12 absolute left-1/2 md:left-auto md:right-0 md:top-0 -ml-6 -bottom-4"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">Los Angeles</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Cloudflare</h3>
</div>

<div id="cf-host-status" class="cf-error-source relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<span class="cf-icon-server block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
<span class="cf-icon-error w-12 h-12 absolute left-1/2 md:left-auto md:right-0 md:top-0 -ml-6 -bottom-4"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">www.24hourcampfire.com</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Host</h3>
<span class="leading-1.3 text-2xl text-red-error">Error</span>
</div>

</div>

</div>
</div>

<div class="w-240 lg:w-full mx-auto mb-8 lg:px-8">
<div class="clearfix">
<div class="w-1/2 md:w-full float-left pr-6 md:pb-10 md:pr-0 leading-relaxed">
<h2 class="text-3xl font-normal leading-1.3 mb-4">What happened?</h2>
<p>There is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare and the origin web server. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.</p>
</div>

<div class="w-1/2 md:w-full float-left leading-relaxed">
<h2 class="text-3xl font-normal leading-1.3 mb-4">What can I do?</h2>
<h3 class="text-15 font-semibold mb-2">If you are a visitor of this website:</h3>
<p class="mb-6">Please try again in a few minutes.</p>

<h3 class="text-15 font-semibold mb-2">If you are the owner of this website:</h3>
<p><span>There is an issue between Cloudflare's cache and your origin web server. Cloudflare monitors for these errors and automatically investigates the cause. To help support the investigation, you can pull the corresponding error log from your web server and submit it our support team. Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page).</span> <a rel="noopener noreferrer" href="https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200171936-Error-520">Additional troubleshooting resources</a>.</p>
</div>
</div>

</div>

<div class="cf-error-footer cf-wrapper w-240 lg:w-full py-10 sm:py-4 sm:px-8 mx-auto text-center sm:text-left border-solid border-0 border-t border-gray-300">
<p class="text-13">
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1">Cloudflare Ray ID: <strong class="font-semibold">62ded0b17db054e8</strong></span>
<span class="cf-footer-separator sm:hidden">•</span>
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1"><span>Your IP</span>: 2603:8080:1c02:1007:c112:d12b:b05c:dc99</span>
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1"><span>Performance & security by</span> <a rel="noopener noreferrer" href="https://www.cloudflare.com/5xx-error-landing" id="brand_link" target="_blank">Cloudflare</a></span>

</p>
</div><!-- /.error-footer -->

</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

I personally rather have the Lightfoot mount, more scope options....matter fact, I am taking a stith set up off now and having Mike make me one, so the stith will be up for sale.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
texken, for some reason you are printing an entire page of HTML every time you post. Or at least I'm seeing it on your posts.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah that's weird and it's the 520 HTTP gateway error that's been popping up recently.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guessing it might be a problem with an ad that's being displayed? Just saw another post from texken where there wasn't a problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Originally Posted by NM_ElkNut
Guys,

Why rescope it?
The Stith/Alaskan setup is a ~$500+/- value assuming good condition. And it is a "no drill" scope mount solution for 99's that many seek.
If the Alaskan is good, go with it. Otherwise it can be refurbed back to new.

Who refurbishes Lyman Alaskans?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

parsonscopeservice

"Every day above ground is a good day."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Calhoun
texken, for some reason you are printing an entire page of HTML every time you post. Or at least I'm seeing it on your posts.

..oh geez, you think he's got a virus?.. "gesundheit!"

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Iron Sights Inc did mine, along with some other scopes. There's been a recent thread on here about a Malcolm scope they just did for a member.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by damnesia

Iron Sights Inc did mine, along with some other scopes. There's been a recent thread on here about a Malcolm scope they just did for a member.

Ironsight, Inc., has refurbished several Redfield and Weaver scopes for me, but I didn't know that they worked on Lyman Alaskans. What did they do to your Alaskan? I have some Lyman Alaskans on old Savages and Winchesters in G&H and Jaeger side-mounts that would be more useful if the scopes were clearer. Did they change reticles on any of your Alaskans?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by texken
<!DOCTYPE html>
<!--[if lt IE 7]> <html class="no-js ie6 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7]> <html class="no-js ie7 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 8]> <html class="no-js ie8 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if gt IE 8]><!--> <html class="no-js" lang="en-US"> <!--<![endif]-->
<head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0">

<title>www.24hourcampfire.com | 520: Web server is returning an unknown error</title>
<meta charset="UTF-8" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge,chrome=1" />
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1" />
<link rel="stylesheet" id="cf_styles-css" href="/cdn-cgi/styles/main.css" type="text/css" media="screen,projection" />

</head>
<body>
<div id="cf-wrapper">

<div id="cf-error-details" class="p-0">
<header class="mx-auto pt-10 lg:pt-6 lg:px-8 w-240 lg:w-full mb-8">
<h1 class="inline-block sm:block sm:mb-2 font-light text-60 lg:text-4xl text-black-dark leading-tight mr-2">

<span class="cf-error-type">Error</span>
<span class="cf-error-code">520</span>
</h1>
<span class="inline-block sm:block font-mono text-15 lg:text-sm lg:leading-relaxed">Ray ID: 62ded0b17db054e8 •</span>
<span class="inline-block sm:block font-mono text-15 lg:text-sm lg:leading-relaxed">2021-03-10 19:05:33 UTC</span>
<h2 class="text-gray-600 leading-1.3 text-3xl font-light">Web server is returning an unknown error</h2>
</header>

<div class="my-8 bg-gradient-gray">
<div class="w-240 lg:w-full mx-auto">
<div class="clearfix md:px-8">

<div id="cf-browser-status" class=" relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<span class="cf-icon-browser block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">You</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Browser</h3>
</div>

<div id="cf-cloudflare-status" class=" relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<span class="cf-icon-cloud block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">Los Angeles</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Cloudflare</h3>
</div>

<div id="cf-host-status" class="cf-error-source relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<span class="cf-icon-server block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
<span class="cf-icon-error w-12 h-12 absolute left-1/2 md:left-auto md:right-0 md:top-0 -ml-6 -bottom-4"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">www.24hourcampfire.com</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Host</h3>
<span class="leading-1.3 text-2xl text-red-error">Error</span>
</div>

</div>

</div>
</div>

<div class="w-240 lg:w-full mx-auto mb-8 lg:px-8">
<div class="clearfix">
<div class="w-1/2 md:w-full float-left pr-6 md:pb-10 md:pr-0 leading-relaxed">
<h2 class="text-3xl font-normal leading-1.3 mb-4">What happened?</h2>
<p>There is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare and the origin web server. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.</p>
</div>

<div class="w-1/2 md:w-full float-left leading-relaxed">
<h2 class="text-3xl font-normal leading-1.3 mb-4">What can I do?</h2>
<h3 class="text-15 font-semibold mb-2">If you are a visitor of this website:</h3>
<p class="mb-6">Please try again in a few minutes.</p>

<h3 class="text-15 font-semibold mb-2">If you are the owner of this website:</h3>
<p><span>There is an issue between Cloudflare's cache and your origin web server. Cloudflare monitors for these errors and automatically investigates the cause. To help support the investigation, you can pull the corresponding error log from your web server and submit it our support team. Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page).</span> <a rel="noopener noreferrer" href="https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200171936-Error-520">Additional troubleshooting resources</a>.</p>
</div>
</div>

</div>

<div class="cf-error-footer cf-wrapper w-240 lg:w-full py-10 sm:py-4 sm:px-8 mx-auto text-center sm:text-left border-solid border-0 border-t border-gray-300">
<p class="text-13">
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1">Cloudflare Ray ID: <strong class="font-semibold">62ded0b17db054e8</strong></span>
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1"><span>Your IP</span>: 2603:8080:1c02:1007:c112:d12b:b05c:dc99</span>
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1"><span>Performance & security by</span> <a rel="noopener noreferrer" href="https://www.cloudflare.com/5xx-error-landing" id="brand_link" target="_blank">Cloudflare</a></span>

</p>
</div><!-- /.error-footer -->

</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

I agree. That is what I have always said. cool

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Ironsight, Inc., has refurbished several Redfield and Weaver scopes for me, but I didn't know that they worked on Lyman Alaskans. What did they do to your Alaskan? I have some Lyman Alaskans on old Savages and Winchesters in G&H and Jaeger side-mounts that would be more useful if the scopes were clearer. Did they change reticles on any of your Alaskans?

Hmm I replied to this but don't see it. They replaced a lens, removed a dent, cleaned it, sealed it and changed it to a Lee dot recticle.

I would absolutely have it refurbished and use the Stith setup. The 99s I hunt with all have Stith setups. I'm not knocking Lightfoot's mount, but I'm cheap and would rather have a great scope rebuilt scope on a mount I already own. You probably could get more accuracy out of a new scope with Lightfoot's mount, but the Stith setups are fine for hunting.

Last edited by damnesia; 03/10/21.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I completely understand and respect the wishes of those that want to stick with the vintage gear.

Several years back Ironsight had a pretty bad reputation for super slow, high priced work. I take it that has changed or y'all wouldn't be using them?

What do they charge to tune up an Alaskan?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I completely understand and respect the wishes of those that want to stick with the vintage gear.

Several years back Ironsight had a pretty bad reputation for super slow, high priced work. I take it that has changed or y'all wouldn't be using them?

It would have been around $110, however the dot recticle added like $40. Some recticles they offer are free, some are like an extra $15 and the dot recticle is by far the most expensive because of the time involved but I really like them. They said it would take 8 to 12 weeks but I had it back in under 5.

I think for like $220 or maybe a bit more, they apparently will rebuild, replace parts, refinish and give you any repticle you want.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Mike, they charged $135 including return shipping to do my Malcolm. It did run a little over schedule, but, when I called to check on it, they said they had to replace the front lens and it took a while to find one. They also took a pretty good dent out of the tube. Had it up on the farm today and it shot a 1" group at 50 yards. Was about 9" to the right and 9" low. Didn't have time to play with it. That's my 1912 22HP. I'm more than pleased. Actually I'm so happy I'm sending off both of my Noske's next. I talked to the owner, Mike Sexton, and he said Noske's are one of his favorites, and he will probably do them himself.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Hmm I replied to this but don't see it. They replaced a lens, removed a dent, cleaned it, sealed it and changed it to a Lee dot recticle.

I would absolutely have it refurbished and use the Stith setup. The 99s I hunt with all have Stith setups. I'm not knocking Lightfoot's mount, but I'm cheap and would rather have a great scope rebuilt scope on a mount I already own. You probably could get more accuracy out of a new scope with Lightfoot's mount, but the Stith setups are fine for hunting.

I can't say that I'm a Stith mount fan.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 1,754 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,280
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.