Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Famous Grouse

I like that stuff.

Little splash water on <gasp> ice. smile

If you guys would just learn the difference between sipping whiskey and drinking whiskey there wouldn't be a problem. Basic bourbon, basic scotch and the like are fine for on the rocks with water or club soda or whatever. Just last night I enjoyed some Old Charter and spring water on the rocks. Famous Grouse fits this category fine, I enjoy it often in a nice scotch and soda.

It's when philistines drop ice cubes into something like Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye or Elmer T. Lee bourbon or Longmorn 15 year old single malt that I feel a disturbance in the force. grin

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Famous Grouse

I like that stuff.

If you guys would just learn the difference between sipping whiskey and drinking whiskey there wouldn't be a problem. Basic bourbon, basic scotch and the like are fine for on the rocks with water or club soda or whatever. Just last night I enjoyed some Old Charter and spring water on the rocks. Famous Grouse fits this category fine, I enjoy it often in a nice scotch and soda.

It's when philistines drop ice cubes into something like Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye or Elmer T. Lee bourbon or Longmorn 15 year old single malt that I feel a disturbance in the force. grin

WORD.....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Famous Grouse

I like that stuff.

Truth !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Famous Grouse

I like that stuff.

I'm slow, but I was learnt how to do it.

FJB & FJT
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I drink cheap or expense scotch/bourbon neat and room temp, to me it doesn't need water, ice or soft drinks mixed in, good tasting room temp burn! ; ]

Trump Won!
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Weather today is nice enough that I'm planning on enjoying it with scotch and a cigar - after I go to the gym.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I prefer to enjoy the whisky when I'm sipping, so I'm not likely to sip $9 Ancient Age neat.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I prefer to enjoy the whisky when I'm sipping, so I'm not likely to sip $9 Ancient Age neat.

Yep, by cheap i meant the bottle of Famous Grouse i was gifted, never tried AA, sipping Grouse right now.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am not a snob of food or booze, so I'll stick with bottles about two shelves below what mathman buys, thank you.

That means Famous Grouse, Tullamore Dew, Jameson, Crown Royal, Chivas... On the rocks.

But no bourbon.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No snob here either, just prefer single malt to blended, Glenmorangie 10 year is fine, fine stuff, the Grouse is very smooth too.

Trump Won!
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Famous Grouse is in a zone where I find it nice enough to sip yet not so dear (flavor/complexity as well as price) as to be wasted when I want a "casual" drink.

There are others, like Old Forester 100 proof rye or Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond rye, which are relatively inexpensive but are simply too good to enjoy any way other than neat.

Ancient Age is a victim of the hot bourbon market. In the past before bourbon became trendy (and a lot of people with more money than sense got into the market) the Ancient Age brand had several higher end expressions which really did deserve to be called sipping whiskey. Now any barrels of the AA mashbill that are shaping up especially well during the aging process are set aside to be put into Blanton's bottles which draw a lot more money.

Old Charter has suffered similarly. The basic Old Charter used to be an eight year old and was a fine whisky for sipping. Now it's "Old No.8 Brand" though it still qualifies as a straight bourbon whiskey which means only it is at least two years old. There used to be several Old Charter variations which were excellent sipping whiskey.

I admit I'm chafed by the Johnny come lately buyers that have ruined the market for OG sippers like myself. grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not snobbery here. I enjoy regular Old Forester all the time. Sub $20 too. It's quite a value.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ran out of beer in January and am on my last case of Canadian Mist. Headed to Anchorage Saturday and will charter the Bush Hawk from Nikinski for trip home,,the stores will be replenished!!

I tend to use more than enough gun
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gunner500
No snob here either, just prefer single malt to blended, Glenmorangie 10 year is fine, fine stuff, the Grouse is very smooth too.

I have a couple of blended scotch whiskys that I bet you would enjoy more than many single malts.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I sold my dad's place in Montana, I found a couple of old bottles of whiskey. One said something like van winkle on it and I don't think dad ever opened it. Nice wood box and all. I don't drink but may be something to try someday.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
When I sold my dad's place in Montana, I found a couple of old bottles of whiskey. One said something like van winkle on it and I don't think dad ever opened it. Nice wood box and all. I don't drink but may be something to try someday.

If you're teetotal and that whiskey is unopened and in good condition put it on the market and buy yourself a rifle with the proceeds.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Your kidding.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

If you're teetotal and that whiskey is unopened and in good condition put it on the market and buy yourself a rifle with the proceeds.

LOL. I was about to suggest exactly the same thing!!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the history lesson mathman, obvious greenhorn here started with Glenmorange, really like it, simply havent tried enough brands to be versed in any, having Grouse right now, it's very smooth.

Full confession that may get me shot, went to Kansas a year and sometime ago to pick up an original Sharps buffalo rifle, after dinner of prim rib and potato, the old Man came out with a beautiful black wood with leather center serving tray, on it sat Pappy something 25 year reserve, [THAT] was the smoothest tasting alcohol my undeserving/unwashed redneck ass had been near, sounds stupid, but you could 'taste' money there. grin

Trump Won!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A close friend of mine has an unopened bottle of the original run of Van Winkle Lot B 12 year old bourbon. Secondary market prices top $1000 for that stuff.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,646
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.