Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Famous Grouse is in a zone where I find it nice enough to sip yet not so dear (flavor/complexity as well as price) as to be wasted when I want a "casual" drink.

There are others, like Old Forester 100 proof rye or Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond rye, which are relatively inexpensive but are simply too good to enjoy any way other than neat.

Ancient Age is a victim of the hot bourbon market. In the past before bourbon became trendy (and a lot of people with more money than sense got into the market) the Ancient Age brand had several higher end expressions which really did deserve to be called sipping whiskey. Now any barrels of the AA mashbill that are shaping up especially well during the aging process are set aside to be put into Blanton's bottles which draw a lot more money.

Old Charter has suffered similarly. The basic Old Charter used to be an eight year old and was a fine whisky for sipping. Now it's "Old No.8 Brand" though it still qualifies as a straight bourbon whiskey which means only it is at least two years old. There used to be several Old Charter variations which were excellent sipping whiskey.

I admit I'm chafed by the Johnny come lately buyers that have ruined the market for OG sippers like myself. grin

Is there still such a beast as Ancient Ancient Age?

FJB & FJT
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Glenmorangie 10 is pretty much the best value and best tasting of the generally available basic single malts. It certainly hasn't fallen off like the similar category entries from Glenfiddich and particularly Glenlivet.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
maxwell house

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I like it Mathman, wonder how much that old man spent pouring me three fingers of Pappy Van something 25 year?

Trump Won!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Raeford
Is there still such a beast as Ancient Ancient Age?

I haven't seen what I would call the real one, at ten years old, in quite a while. You may still find the "10 star" version around, but it surely isn't the same thing.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gunner500
I like it Mathman, wonder how much that old man spent pouring me three fingers of Pappy Van something 25 year?

I don't know, but I don't suspect the rifle had a discount price on it. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Famous Grouse is in a zone where I find it nice enough to sip yet not so dear (flavor/complexity as well as price) as to be wasted when I want a "casual" drink.

I drink FG blended on ice for a reason. I don't have a full range of taste or smell so the very good stuff or just with a splash would be wasted on me.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

It was the coolest day Sir, the old Man was 86, his Daddy and his men were saved by my Grandpa in WWII, his Grandpa bought the rifle in Dodge City Kansas in the early 1870's, his Daddy last fired the rifle before i was born in 1963, i thought enough of the rifle to drive up to Kansas and get, instead of having shipped, the old Man wouldn't accept my check, as he was putting it back into my front shirt pocket, he was saying, "who better in the world should this rifle go to"?...................

Yep, i got watery eyed ; ]

Trump Won!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Even though money didn't change hands there was a very high value there. The whiskey was appropriate to the occasion.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Remain humbled to be a part of that. smile

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glenmorangie 10 is pretty much the best value and best tasting of the generally available basic single malts. It certainly hasn't fallen off like the similar category entries from Glenfiddich and particularly Glenlivet.

Sheesh,

You mean I'm gunna hafta "hold into the sink" !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hit the brakes! Don't do that! grin

I didn't say it was terrible, but it isn't up to the standard of what was released twenty years ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
laugh laugh laugh

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Famous Grouse Smokey is the worst I've had in a long time. It is in category of others that have flowed out both nostrils. It didn't happen with the FGS but, I feel the same way about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I’m a fan of Wild Turkey Rye lately. Good stuff when poured neat.

And I almost hate to say, but my daily now is Early Times Bonded Bourbon. $22 for a liter bottle. Cut with water to tame from 100 proof to about 85 proof and it goes far for the price. Good stuff.

I'm with you on the WT Rye. If you haven't already, try the Rare Breed Rye. WT Rye amped up some. I wish I could find the Early Times BIB anywhere near me but I haven't found it on the shelves yet. I almost had to beg my local liquor store to carry the Old Forester bourbons. They did, and it's been selling well for them. Next I'm going to try Woodinville Rye. I hear it's very good too.

I may need to try that Rare Breed. I bought my first bottle of Early Times BIB together with a bottle of Old Grandad BIB and tried them both. I've heard a lot about OG BIB here....but the Early Times beat it as far as I'm concerned. And the store I frequent keeps Early Times on the shelf......knock on wood. The OG BIB is hard to find in these parts.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always sample anything new to me neat, then I go to water, and finally ice.

Sometimes I do not get past neat and sometimes I have to break all the rules. (gasp) Coke.

It all depends, and I am certainly going to drink it the way that tastes best to me.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The way I see it is if I have to alter a whisky a bunch to make it palatable then it isn't in the sipping category. I'll add water and ice to Old Crow if that's what is available. No problem.

Ice cubes going into good stuff, well, it's sort of like watching someone cook a prime steak to well done. Sure, it is their steak but certain things are simply crimes against nature.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Might have a Bud Light

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

It was the coolest day Sir, the old Man was 86, his Daddy and his men were saved by my Grandpa in WWII, his Grandpa bought the rifle in Dodge City Kansas in the early 1870's, his Daddy last fired the rifle before i was born in 1963, i thought enough of the rifle to drive up to Kansas and get, instead of having shipped, the old Man wouldn't accept my check, as he was putting it back into my front shirt pocket, he was saying, "who better in the world should this rifle go to"?...................

Yep, i got watery eyed ; ]

Pics of that rifle and the whole story behind it would make an awesome thread.

I’m enjoying the first really nice day of the year with a Punch and some Macallan.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Which Punch? I recently received a box of 6x60 Rare Corojos. Not my usual ring gauge, but the price was very right.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

731 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,843
Posts18,478,259
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.