-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Sightron II I think it is my very favorite, nothing spectacular about it it just seems to work for me, then it might be the combination, I think it has been on the same rifle for 16 yrs now,
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The Meopta Artemis

The Burris 4x

And surprisingly the Konus, it is clear and I like the circle dot reticles it is fast on the AR

Last edited by erich; 03/08/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Originally Posted by noKnees
I a couple of both. Both have advantages.

Vortex- Glass is much better on the razor than the 6x36, The G4 reticle is a good low light reticle, very thick towards the outside of the reticle. Its a variable, so up real close you can set it for more FOV and have a little more magnification for working up loads etc. The clicks aren't really crisp, but it does seem to track reasonable so zeroing is pretty quick and easy. Very short scope, mounting might be an issue, although not a problem on M77 SA in my case.

Leupold. Its not as short, but its lighter and trimmer. The ocular is smaller on the Leupold so there is more bolt clearance. Its has gobs of eye relief. I find the adjustments to be a PITA on my FX2 6x36, Not as precise takes more time and ammo to to zero. Its not a scope I want to change loads with frequently. However once set has held zero for me well. I have the LRD and its a better long range reticle IMHO than the Vortex G4. A little longer tube so mounting is less critical.

Will the 6x36 fit okay on a standard action? I don’t plan to do any dialing with it. I have a Nikon 3-9 (I forgot which one it is) with that abortion of a BDC reticle with the stupid circles they used to sell.

I have run a 6x36 on a LA ruger and it worked ok.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the Razor 1.5-8 on my .35 Whelen 700. It’s a very good hunting scope. The area I hunt is similar to you - most shots are well inside 100, snd I’ve killed plenty of deer at now ranges. There are some fields where the LOS can stretch to 300, so the 8X on the high end is nice. The G4 reticle is superb for shooting animals.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
I use the Razor 1.5-8 on my .35 Whelen 700. It’s a very good hunting scope. The area I hunt is similar to you - most shots are well inside 100, snd I’ve killed plenty of deer at now ranges. There are some fields where the LOS can stretch to 300, so the 8X on the high end is nice. The G4 reticle is superb for shooting animals.

What ballistics have you found the BDC to work with?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Assuming you mean the FX-II 6x36...please pass me that one every time, every day over the Vortex. Thanks.

An FX-II over a Razor everyday?

Shaking my head...

Yup - JMO - YMMV

Have yet to look through a Vortex I like in any price range. To each their own.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've long been opposed to about anything Vortex but the Razor 1.5-8x32 is/was a pretty cool offering. And, I, ummmmm, **gulp**, actually prefer it over the 2.5x8 VX3/3i.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SKane
I've long been opposed to about anything Vortex but the Razor 1.5-8x32 is/was a pretty cool offering. And, I, ummmmm, **gulp**, actually prefer it over the 2.5x8 VX3/3i.

Say it isn't so 😲

E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
What country is the Vortex made in? Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vortex = Chicoms . . . Leopold = U.S.A.

That is the bottom line. To each his own. No judging.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
China

Japan by LOW

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All scope manufacturer's realize there is a negative connotation about anything made by the chicom government, so that is usually something that is hidden in the literature/advertisement.

There is probably not a dime's worth of difference between any of the Vortex scopes, (though I would like to think that Japanese glass is superior) and labor costs determines the cost of the scope. We all hate the chicom government and Democrats, but there are probably Democrat craftsmen at the Leopold Oregon factory. grin I own some chicom Vortex scopes as well as Some chicom Leatherwood scopes.

Where are Vortex scopes made?
The answer very much depends on the specific Vortex scope model that we are discussing. Here’s an overview of each Vortex scope series and where it is produced:

Vortex Copperhead scopes – The Copperhead series is Vortex’s absolute entry level series of scopes and is really targets to those who are buying on a very restrictive budget. The Copperhead series is manufactured in China.

Vortex Crossfire and Crossfire II scopes – The first generation of the Crossfire scope models had some issues and were ultimately discontinued. They were replaced with the Crossfire II series, which is Vortex’s most popular entry level line. Both the Crossfire and Crossfire II scopes are manufactured in China.

Vortex Strike Eagle scopes – The Strike Eagle line is focused on the lower magnification ranges and is really built for and marketed as a short-range AR scope. The Strike Eagle was briefly offered in higher magnification ranges like a 4-20, but those models were phased out. The Strike Eagle series is also manufactured in China.

Vortex Diamondback scopes – The Diamondback is the next set up above the Crossfire II series and features better quality glass and more features. Like the Crossfire II models, all the Diamondback scopes are built on a 1” tube. The Diamondback scopes are produced in China.

Vortex Diamondback Tactical scopes – The Diamondback Tactical series is really targeted more towards the long-range shooting and tactical shooting crowd as most are FFP (First Focal Plane) scopes. Like the standard Diamondback series, the Diamondback Tactical scopes are manufactured in the China.

Vortex Viper scopes – A step up in quality over the Vortex Diamondback series, the Vortex Viper series of rifle scopes was originally built on a 1-inch tube with a 3X erector. While these models were a popular seller for Vortex, around 2011, Vortex decided to phase out the 1-inch versions of the Viper and introduce 30mm versions built with a 4X erector. Vortex has further reduced the number of Viper models, and, currently, there is only one 30mm version of the Viper. The Viper series of rifle scopes are manufactured in the Philippines.

Vortex Viper HS scopes – The Viper HS series is designed more for hunters who need a mid-range powered scope with easy to use field reticles. Built on a 30mm tube with capped turrets, the Viper HS scope models feature slightly better glass than the original Viper series. Like the Viper series, the Viper HS models are also built in the Philippines.

Vortex Viper HS LR – The Viper HS LR series is built for shooters who may be hunting and shooting long range. The Viper HS models are built in a 30mm tube and feature exposed turrets. The HS LR series offers models in SFP and FFP configurations. The Viper HS models are built in the Philippines.

Vortex Viper HST – The Viper HST series (with the HST standing for Hunting Shooting Tactical) is designed a multi-purpose scope for long range shooting, hunting, or tactical based shooting. The HST series are built on a 30mm tube with exposed turrets. These models are currently, only available in SFP configurations, and are produced in the Philippines.

Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 scopes – The Viper PST series of scopes feature better optics than the Vortex Viper series and look to be targeting tactical shooting and precision shooting applications. Currently Vortex is on the 2nd generation of the PST series which includes customer-based upgrades over the PST Gen 1 versions. The PST models are all built on a 30mm tube and come equipped with exposed turrets. The PST series offers a mix of FFP and SFP models with ranging and hold-over reticles. The Viper PST Gen 2 models are manufactured in the Philippines.

Vortex Golden Eagle HD scope – The Golden Eagle HD is specifically designed for long range bench rest and F class shooting and is a step up in glass quality over the Viper HST and PST series. Built on a 30mm tube, the Golden Eagle features an impressive power range of 15X-60X with a 52mm objective. The Golden Eagle HD series is manufactured in Japan.

Vortex Razor HD LH – The Razor series of scopes is currently Vortex’s flagship series of rifle scopes. The Razor HD LH model is only available in a 3-15X42 configuration and is designed to target hunters who want a top tier hunting scope without all the bells and whistles found on larger 30mm scope models. Like the Golden Eagle HD scope series, the Vortex Razor HD LH model is manufactured in Japan.

Vortex Razor HD – The Razor HD series is built exclusively for long range shooting. It’s an FFP scope built on a large 35mm tube and features a 5-20X50 power range. The Vortex HD is only available in an FFP configuration and is also manufactured in Japan.

Vortex Razor HD Gen II – The HD Gen II series is a second generation of the HD series that features slightly better optical quality, along with some requested upgrades. The Gen II series is built for long range shooting on the AR platform, and features a 34mm main tube. The Razor HD Gen II is currently only available in two versions and both are FFP models. Like most of the Razor models, the Razor HD Gen II models are built in Japan.

Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E – The Razor HD Gen II-E (with the “E” standing for Enhanced) is designed as a top of the line short to medium range tactical scope for the AR platform. This model is currently only available in a 1-6X24. This Gen II-E series is built in Japan as well.

Vortex Razor HD AMG – Currently the Vortex Razor HD AMG is the top tier of the Vortex scope offerings. It’s an FFP scope built on a 30mm tube in a 6-24X50 configuration. The HD AMG is designed to offer the best long-range shooting, hunting, and tactical scope option in the Vortex line. Unlike the rest of the Razor scope series, the HD AMG models are manufactured in the U.S. Supposedly, the lenses are built in Japan, and then the scope is assembled by Vortex in the US.

Where are Leatherwood Hi-Lux scopes made?

Competitive Advantage
While there are several scope companies around the world who source products overseas, none of them have or will develop their “top of line” high end model in China, perhaps due to fear of IP and copyright infringement.

The competitive advantage for Leatherwood Hi-Lux, is that we have our own solely owned factory and engineering team to design our products. Hi-Lux is committed to reversing the negative stigma behind “Made in China” products. It was only a couple decades ago when Japanese Manufacturing was viewed as shoddy and poor. However, now, several optical manufacturers source glass and other scope components from both Japan and China.

Leatherwood Hi-Lux link

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the thorough explanation OrangeOkie. I’ve never looked at Vortex as an option.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
much there is wrong or out of date. AMG lenses for example are not made in Japan. A reticle component is the only part not made in the US. The Razor HD LHT is made in 50mm, not just 42mm. The HD Gen II is made in 3 configurations, not just one... there are more mistakes than not...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.