Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anybody wearing safety glasses that have the bifocal/reader capability?

I need to wear safety glasses at work and my distance vision is fine, but I'm also old enough to now require readers for the close range stuff. Switching between safety and readers is kind of a pain.

Any particular brand of safety reader/bifocal a good choice?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a pair that are actually tri-focals that my optometrist made for me with safety lenses. I don't see why you couldn't get some made. Mine were not cheap.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by reivertom
I have a pair that are actually tri-focals that my optometrist made for me with safety lenses. I don't see why you couldn't get some made. Mine were not cheap.

Ditto on the tri-focals, Safety Lens & scratch resistant. $$

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use prescription bi-focal safety glasses. Got them at the local eye-glass store.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Used them when I was in the oilfield. just ordered a pair of Costas, bifocals

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They make inexpensive safety glasses with readers in 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 etc. We had them by the case when I was working.
This was our supplier. I thought their prices were pretty high. http://products.divalsafety.com/storefrontCommerce/subcategorybrowse.do?subcategory-name=Readers+%26+Cheaters+Safety+Eyewear&path=Safety+%26+Supply%2f%2f%2f%2fPersonal+Protective+Equipment%2f%2f%2f%2fEye+Protection&currentPage=1&numResults=25

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'll be WAY better off getting single-vision safety glasses. I hate the lines with a passion, and "lineless" are even worse, just useless. If you're working at a certain distance, have them calibrated so your hands are in focus the most, or the workpiece distance, whatever it is you'll be looking at the MOST should be the tack-sharp focus.
It also depends on how much you move. How many times you change position on something. Sometimes, I can't move my head enough to get from one lens to the other and GOSH DARN that's frustrating. But the cheater lines, or the transition blend areas? They are wasted field of view. I'll never buy another multi-focus set of glasses ever again.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Lonny

I need to wear safety glasses at work and my distance vision is fine, but I'm also old enough to now require readers for the close range stuff. Switching between safety and readers is kind of a pain.

I can send you plenty. Give me your shipping address.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wear mine every day. Got them at Wally. Best advise is to buy the very best lenses they offer. My company reimburses $200 every other year so its only a bit more out of pocket but well worth it. If you want to look good doing it you are probably out of luck smile

Last edited by Smokey262; 03/12/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
you can get bifocal contacts also.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Our employer contributes $150 toward our prescription safety glasses. I have been buying and wearing progressives for twenty years.

If I step outside to check numbers on a semi trailer across the parking lot, I have a focus for that.
If I am inside walking the floor checking crew, I have a focus for that.
If I jump on a forklift to help in a pinch, I have a focus for that.
I can see at the desk to fill out Bills of Lading and invoices by hand.
I can see at arms length to do computer work.

You could not pay me enough to make me give up my progressives. I have to pay a bit out of pocket for the upgrade, but I am glad to do so.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Stick on magnifiers/bifocals are widely available. Try them on your favorite safety glasses to see what ya think.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
You'll be WAY better off getting single-vision safety glasses. I hate the lines with a passion, and "lineless" are even worse, just useless. If you're working at a certain distance, have them calibrated so your hands are in focus the most, or the workpiece distance, whatever it is you'll be looking at the MOST should be the tack-sharp focus.
It also depends on how much you move. How many times you change position on something. Sometimes, I can't move my head enough to get from one lens to the other and GOSH DARN that's frustrating. But the cheater lines, or the transition blend areas? They are wasted field of view. I'll never buy another multi-focus set of glasses ever again.

It is so frustrating I have been known to throw [bleep]!

Last edited by troublesome82; 03/12/21. Reason: wording
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by troublesome82

It is so frustrating I have been known to throw [bleep]!

Am I getting this straight? Buy readers, and then walk around blind to anything more than 30 inches from your nose?

I had one pair made to focus at 30 inches specifically for computer work. And they were great for that. But while wearing them, I could not read a STOP sign at twenty yards. Without glasses, my vision is 20/20 beyond 48 inches despite some correctable astigmatism.

I can not just take my safety glasses off and put them in my pocket when I get up and leave my desk. That would be a terminal offense.

Perhaps your workplace differs.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a half dozen pair of saftey glasses with readers

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you all for some ways around switching glasses numerous times a day.

What Idaho Shooter mentioned as his typical day at work is pretty close to mine.

I have some things to check into. Much appreciated to all sharing their experience.

K
K_P Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny

After age forty-five I always used bifocals safety glasses for grinding.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

"It also depends on how much you move!" Fuucking unstatement of the year. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have some, helpful sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,887 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,059
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.