Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
RGB Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Today my neighbor gave me three one pound metal cans of IMR 4064, 4320 and 4895. I have no idea of when they were manufactured but the price tag on each tin is $3.99 if that is any reference to age. If unopened are these still safe to use?

Last edited by RGB; 03/12/21.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you open it & red dust floats out or you smell it & it burns your nostrils with a bad vinegar smell sprinkle it on the lawn. Otherwise it should be fine.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If it smells good, and there's not red rust color you are good to go.

I have powder from the 70's and loaded ammo from the 30's that's still good.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree. As long as it looks good, smells ok with no noxious red dust, should be good to go.

My vintage 4064 powder doesn’t have quite the solvent smell of a newer can, but I still can detect it. It looks good.

I have H-4831 that was surplus in the ‘60’s. It looks good, smells good, shoots good. It seems a bit slower burning then new 4831. I’ve shot some really good groups with it.

I have old H-110 that works well. You just need to watch for deterioration and dump those. Stored in climate controlled environment helps.

With powder being scarce, old powder in good condition looks better and better.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just finished up some powder that was priced like that and one that was lower.

They still work.

IC B2

R
RGB Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the price tag on each tin is $3.99 if that is any reference to age.

Poobs may have sold that late in his retail career. (grin)

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I’ve been hand loading since the late ‘60’s, and just last week observed my first can of bad powder. I had an opened can of powder my uncle gave to me in the late ‘70’s early ‘80’s. I had never had a use for it, but thought I’d experiment with a new load for my handgun. I opened it and “sniffed”, it didn’t smell bad. But, when I poured it into my powder measure.....lots of red dust! Bummer......I really wanted to try it! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If it's bad you should know it.I had some powder that was only about two years old,but last summer I saw the lot I had was on the recall notice.I had shot a couple of pounds of it and I always noticed it seemed to have just a little stronger odor than other powders.It shot good,grouped well in my rifles,just never really had any issues with it until I saw the recall notice.When I checked it a dust cloud came out when I opened the lid.The strong odor was extremely offensive.There was moister around the lid the turned my fingers yellow where I touched it.It took two weeks before it cleared up and the yellow was gone.I pulled the bullets and dumped the powder out of all the ammo I had loaded with this powder.The manufacture paid me for all the the powder I had that was recalled,so that was a good deal and not a total loss. I went to the range a few weeks later and found three cartridges I missed.I had shot ammo from this same lot I had loaded a few months before without issues,so I decided to just go ahead and shoot them instead of taking them back home and breaking them down.I shot one round and it was really high pressure from the bad powder.It smeared the headstamp on the brass when I ejected it after shooting.So I didn't shoot the other two rounds.This was my only experience with bad powder.I have some that's probably over 25yrs old in the old metal cans and it's still good.Well today I was doing some loading and going through my ammo boxes and guess what,I found those two rounds I had planned on pulling down.So today,about nine months after the powder went really bad I pulled the bullets and only a small amount of the powder would dump out of the case,the rest of it was all caked up inside and wouldn't come out even tapping on the outside of the case.Here is some pictures.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.