Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How would they perform at > 300 yds?

.277/140 gr. TSX factory loadings - are generally for the Magnum cartridges.

Got a pile of the Pierce "Ted Nugent" ammo on liquidation a while back, for less than component bullet cost, but haven't shot it into anything past ~ 250 yards.

[Linked Image from ammomart.com]

Seems to run a little over 2900 fps at the muzzle.

Have some Federal 130 gr. Trophy Copper, but was wondering if the 140 gr. TSX could be stretched out to 350 yards or so.

GR

Last edited by Garandimal; 03/13/21.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shoot a few into water filled milk, water or pails at 350-400. See how they open for you. It’ll give you a decent idea how they’ll work on deer.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The 140TSX is my "go-to" in 270Win. I've killed 3 deer over 500yds w/them from vanilla 270Win. Bang/Flop. 562yds on a big-bodied Mule Deer Buck was the longest. I"ve seen 4 elk killed with them, they work well for that. I shot 2 caribou with them and a buddy used them on caribou as well. None of the elk or 'bou made it more than ~10yds.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I get slightly better accuracy with the 130 TSX, but the 140 also shoots very well in my rifle. I've taken elk at about 375 yards with the 130; I doubt there would be any noticeable difference between the 130 and 140.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use them at 3,200 fps in the 270 WSM, they are good until velocity starts to get below 2,000 fps. Below that I go TTSX, LRX or something different like a ballistic tip. If you reloaded them with R26 you could get close to 3.100 fos.

The hands at the YO ranch in Kerrrville are still chuckling about when the Nudge came out and insisted on walking through the cactus bare foot and then got yanked off his horse when his hair got caught in a tree. Ouch.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I have used several hundred of the 130 TSX on plains game and around 35 of the 140’s. I couldn’t see any difference in expansion or terminal effect. I used the 130’s because I was used to 130’s at 3100. The cavities in the front half of the bullets performed similarly. They will expand to 325 but haven’t needed to shoot anything at longer distances.

I have a friend who used the 140’s on Asian mountain game, mostly ibex, which were shot at pretty long ranges, and he had very good results. He picked them because they were more accurate in his rifle.

For what it’s worth, the TTSX versions seems to open more quickly. Occasionally the TSX nose bends over itself to the side. Rarely but it does happen. The bullets tumbles and is very destructive.

Last edited by RinB; 03/13/21. Reason: Grammar

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all y'all for settin' me straight.

Was figuring the 140 gr. TSX's to start droppin' off at ~ 2,400 fps impact velocity... which would be a little past 250 yards out of my rifle.

A 2,200 fps impact velocity gets it to ~ 350 yards, which is about all field shooting will get me.

A 2,000 fps impact velocity would get it to near 500 yards.

A whole new ballgame for this figured woods round.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I suggest calling Barnes and asking them what the recommended minimum impact velocity is for a given bullet. Might want to call twice a couple weeks apart as I have gotten a different answer on the same bullet before. A friend uses a .270 WSM and Barnes TTSX bullets on everything up here in Alaska, sheep, caribou, moose, etc. He likes it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 140gr TSX is a good bullet for taking game but I would suggest target shooting to see how accurate the Ted Nugent ammo is.
In several chamberings I have had horrible accuracy issues with factory TSX ammo. I have always had to hand load to get acceptable accuracy from these bullets

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
The 140gr TSX is a good bullet for taking game but I would suggest target shooting to see how accurate the Ted Nugent ammo is.
In several chamberings I have had horrible accuracy issues with factory TSX ammo. I have always had to hand load to get acceptable accuracy from these bullets

They are at least field accurate out of the Mossberg Patriot.

Have not run them through the M70 or M700 yet.

Will bring a handful the next 200 yd. sight-in trip.

GR

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I suggest calling Barnes and asking them what the recommended minimum impact velocity is for a given bullet. Might want to call twice a couple weeks apart as I have gotten a different answer on the same bullet before. A friend uses a .270 WSM and Barnes TTSX bullets on everything up here in Alaska, sheep, caribou, moose, etc. He likes it.

Prefer actual empirical field data to lab testing.

GR

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If they don't shoot I would try seating the bullet deeper in a couple of increments. They look like they are seated fairly deep to begin with so this may not make any difference.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by boatanchor

They are at least field accurate out of the Mossberg Patriot.

Have not run them through the M70 or M700 yet.

Will bring a handful the next 200 yd. sight-in trip.

GR

I run mine through 2 M70 SS Classic Fwt's FWIW. Also good luck through a buddies SC production "All-Weather" and a 2nd friend's Rem 700 1st Gen Ti.

Last edited by horse1; 03/15/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Im new to the 270win myself and recently picked up liquidation of the Federal Premium Trophy copper factory ammo. How do these compare to those Barnes?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Im new to the 270win myself and recently picked up liquidation of the Federal Premium Trophy copper factory ammo. How do these compare to those Barnes?

They are essentially 130 gr. Nosler E-Tips w/ TSX groves cut in them.

Good round.

Got a poke of'em on clearance a while back as well.

Use'em when I'm hunting in the West Coast Soviet Province of the People's Republic.

GR

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

I load them too, like hell out of them!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Good round.

Use'em when I'm hunting in the West Coast Soviet Province of the People's Republic.

GR

I want to try my 270win locally on elk. Im hoping these will be good to go for Idaho.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Good round.

GR

I want to try my 270win locally on elk. Im hoping these will be good to go for Idaho.

If your rifle likes'em, my experience is that they will be GTG, if you do your part.

GR

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

GR

Sooo, you don't want me to look up our data at the Ballistic Lab?

Alan

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GSSP

GR

Sooo, you don't want me to look up our data at the Ballistic Lab?

Alan

Sure, if you've got it.

... But will temper it w/ empirical hunting data.

GR

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.