OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Opinion: The Biggest COVID-19 Vaccine Skeptics? Frontline Health Care Workers
Lawrence Solomon
Lawrence Solomon
March 11, 2021 Updated: March 14, 2021
Commentary

What do frontline health care workers and first responders know about COVID-19 vaccines that politicians and their public health advisers don’t?

According to a January analysis by Gallup, 51 percent of health care workers and first responders polled in December were unconvinced of the merits of getting vaccinated, even if the vaccine “was free, available, FDA approved and 90% effective.”

Gallup found these results especially concerning since those at highest risk of exposure to COVID-19—the professionals required to meet America’s health, safety, and critical economic needs whom the National Academies of Engineering, Science and Medicine define as “Tier 1A workers”—were the likeliest to refuse vaccination (34 percent).

The frontline workers proved to be as defiant as Gallup’s survey of their intentions anticipated. In California, over half of Tehama County’s hospital workers at St. Elizabeth Community Hospital, an estimated 50 percent of frontline workers in Riverside County, and 20 percent to 40 percent in L.A. County refused the vaccine, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.

In Georgia, according to an estimate in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, only 30 percent of health care workers have been inoculated. In Ohio, Gov. Mike DeWine reported that 60 percent of nursing-home workers refused the vaccine. In Texas, the Texas Tribune reported in February that home-health and assisted-living agencies may not be able to service their clients because so many caregivers are refusing to be vaccinated. A CDC survey of skilled-nursing facilities published in early February found that fewer than 40 percent of staff took at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

Outside the United States, frontline workers are likewise skeptical. On March 2, Reuters reported that at most half of the nursing staff in Switzerland’s medical sector, only 30 percent of the staff at Germany’s BeneVit Group care-home operator, and about half of the health workers in French care homes were willing to be vaccinated.

PBS on the same day reported that since “India started administering the second vaccine dose two weeks ago, half of the frontline workers and nearly 40 percent of health care workers have not shown up.” In Canada, CTV provided an anecdotal report that many long-term-care workers in Montreal are “flat-out refusing” to be inoculated.

For health care workers around the world, their dilemma is who to believe. Their government employers and the pharmaceutical companies, who insist the vaccines’ benefits far outweigh the risks? Or their own eyes?

Many frontline workers see first-hand those who fall sick or die after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine, and in the absence of independent analyses judge for themselves whether the vaccine is implicated. They noted 23 nursing-home deaths in Norway and hundreds of hospitalizations in Israel following vaccination.

Frontline workers also suffer from vaccinations themselves. As Reuters reported in February in an article entitled “AstraZeneca Vaccine Faces Resistance in Europe After Health Workers Suffer Side-Effects,” the adverse effects hitting health care workers have unexpectedly left large numbers unable to work, forcing hospitals to scramble to maintain services.

In France, the safety agency advised hospitals to stagger the inoculation of team members, to avoid disabling team functions.

In Sweden, two of the country’s 21 health care regions paused vaccinating their staff after 25 percent of the vaccinated suffered fever or flu-like symptoms.

In Austria, inoculations with a batch of vaccines were suspended after one vaccinated nurse died and another required hospitalization.

The Wall Street Journal reports that, to avoid getting vaccinated, half of the health professionals scheduled in the German state of Saarland failed to show up for their appointment.

In response to the many concerns raised by frontline workers, the vaccine manufacturers, care-home operators, and the public-health authorities in all these countries offer bland reassurances, such as AstraZeneca’s statement that “the reactions reported are as we would expect” and the German Health Minister’s claim that “I would be vaccinated with it immediately.”

They also plan a plethora of public education campaigns. Partnership for Medicaid Home-Based Care, an industry advocacy group, launched a “Be Wise, Immunize” campaign to educate its workforce.

And all urge media and social media to be more vigilant in policing negative vaccination news. In offering pointers on how to debunk critics, the Columbia Journalism Review on March 5, told media companies that “The first rule of reporting on mis/disinformation [is] don’t talk about the mis/disinformation” and suggested they “consider the practice of ‘pre-bunking’—that is, actively debunking or anticipating public questions and concerns rather than only reacting once false narratives have been popularized.”

Although studies show that such assurances and public-education campaigns—also known as propaganda—can reduce vaccine hesitancy, Gallup finds their effect is marginal: “The limited COVID-19 vaccine acceptance rates among all occupation groups show little movement since November 2020.”

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) analysis agrees, and concludes that barriers to “staff member vaccination need to be overcome with continued development and implementation of focused communication and outreach strategies.”

Yet the CDC doesn’t explain why continued focused communication and outreach—i.e., more of the same—would overcome worker hesitancy, when workers don’t fully trust the data, or those who deliver the data. To overcome that trust barrier and win over the frontline workers—people who have every incentive to protect themselves—the media would need to lift the censorship, industry would need to subject its studies to independent scrutiny, and all would need to engage in reasoned debate rather than “trust-us” assurances.

Lawrence Solomon is a columnist, author, and executive director of the Toronto-based Consumer Policy Institute. @LSolomonTweets LawrenceSolomonnextcity.com

Views expressed in this article are the opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Epoch Times.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
People are free to choose whether to get the covid shot.
My doc took it and recommended that I do the same. I did, got J&J single dose shot. Zero side effects. However, I’m pretty sure I’ll die in the next 30 years. I am 70 years old.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/14/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
It would have been easier to sell the idea of vaccinating the entire population if the drug makers hadn't been given legal immunity for their product. Right now, big pharma has about the same credibility as politicians or mainstream media. They didn't do themselves any good in public relations by the opioid pushing scandal, cash kickbacks to docs for prescribing brand X, or clowns like Fauci, getting patents on developments that were funded with taxpayer dollars.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from media.greatawakening.win]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Link?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dale06
People are free to choose whether to get the covid shot.
My doc took it and recommended that I do the same. I did, got J&J single dose shot. Zero side effects. However, I’m pretty sure I’ll die in the next 30 years. I am 70 years old.

That's just it, though. There are powerful forces at work to put on serious pressure for everyone to get it, like requiring proof of vaccination before you can work, go to restaurants, check into a hospital for a procedure, etc..

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Link?

I found this. It looks like the original story is in the Epoch Times but a subscription is required.
https://www.ini-world-report.org/2021/03/13/vaccines-any-good-even-the-experts-arnt-sure/

Last edited by River_Ridge; 03/14/21.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
[Linked Image from media.greatawakening.win]

That experimental jet question is very telling.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The whole thing stinks of big brother or worse...

There is no way in hell I'll get the shots.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just remember... burning up with a fever after injection means "its working" according to big pharma.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
The whole thing stinks of big brother or worse...

There is no way in hell I'll get the shots.

Me neither. It's like Invasion of the Body Snatchers for me when I hear people I know tell me they just got it, or are scheduled to get it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I wish thye would not refer to it as a Vaccine, as it isn't . Can still get it, can still spread it..

It's actually low risk (1% mortality; unless you're in that 1%....)

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So in the absence of sufficient hard data, we should rely on skepticism? Be my guest. It’s a free country and I wouldn’t dream of trying to influence the personal decision that might, or not determine if you get sick, or even die. I’m going for my second shot in three weeks.

Good luck to one and all.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's understandable that some people would be afraid of a new technology for a vaccine. Fear of the unknown is always an issue for most of us. Here are the numbers that I care about.

In the US to date, 29.4 million people have tested positive for or were diagnosed with COVID 19. Of those 534,000 have died with/of COVID 19, most within a couple weeks to a month after contracting the disease.

In the US to date, 37 million people have received full doses of a COVID vaccine and 69 million have received at least one dose of a vaccine. 113 deaths have been reported as a possible adverse reaction to the shots.

Though it has not been proven that the vaccine was the cause of these deaths, even if it was/is proved, that's 113/37,000,000 (.0003% death rate) vs 534,000/29,400,000 (1.8% death rate). I decided to get the shot a couple days ago. I got the Moderna and had a sore arm for 2 days.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a sore arm for about three minutes, not counting the times my wife poked it with her finger.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/14/21.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can always get the vaccine, you just can’t un-get it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 16bore
You can always get the vaccine, you just can’t un-get it.

Not if you get COVID and die first.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cooper57m
It's understandable that some people would be afraid of a new technology for a vaccine. Fear of the unknown is always an issue for most of us. Here are the numbers that I care about.

In the US to date, 29.4 million people have tested positive for or were diagnosed with COVID 19. Of those 534,000 have died with/of COVID 19, most within a couple weeks to a month after contracting the disease.

In the US to date, 37 million people have received full doses of a COVID vaccine and 69 million have received at least one dose of a vaccine. 113 deaths have been reported as a possible adverse reaction to the shots.

Though it has not been proven that the vaccine was the cause of these deaths, even if it was/is proved, that's 113/37,000,000 (.0003% death rate) vs 534,000/29,400,000 (1.8% death rate). I decided to get the shot a couple days ago. I got the Moderna and had a sore arm for 2 days.

You did realize that the issues with the SARS attempt at a vaccine manifested after more than a year, right?

There's a reason trials take a long time for vaccines. Issues are rarely immediate.

I, for one, have declined the vaccines. I do no do so because they've been shown to be unsafe. I do so because they have NOT been shown to be safe.

Or effective, but that's another discussion.......

Edit: and, yeah, I'm around critically ill covid patients quite a bit.

Last edited by goalie; 03/14/21.
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Hancock27
I wish thye would not refer to it as a Vaccine, as it isn't . Can still get it, can still spread it..

It's actually low risk (1% mortality; unless you're in that 1%....)

If the math in my head is right 1% of a million is 10,000. I don't consider that low risk.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 53 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,859
Posts18,517,785
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.