Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Saw it today on the dish. The Unforgiven.
From 1960 with Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, and Audie Murphy. And the old time star Lillian Gish.
Lillian Gish was the mother, the the others were her children.

The catch was, Audrey Hepburn was a Kiowa Indian. Stolen at birth from the Indians and adopted into the white family. Only Lillian Gish knew she was an Indian.
Kind of hard to believe that she would pass as White.

Half way through the movie, it was revealed to the brothers that the sister was not White, but Indian.

Burt Lancaster loved her and said the Kiowa would not take her back.
Audie Murphy wanted to send her back to the Indians, and he said "I won't be around a Red-Hide Niqqer!" And he actually said it and they put it in the sub titles.

The Kiowa mounted an attack on their house. In a brutal battle, about 15 Kiowa were killed. Lillian Gish was firing her trap door Springfield, and she was shot and killed.
Audrey killed several of them with her Springfield.

The farm house was burned down, but the Indians were defeated. Right at the end, Audrey Hepburn's real brother, a Kiowa, broke into the farm house. He was about 8 feet away from Audrey, and looking at her, he wanted to take her back into the Kiowa band into which she had been born. He loved his sister.
Audrey looked him right in the eyes and shot him dead with the Colt .45

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It is a very good movie.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Might have been some of Murphey, Holliman, and Hepburn's best work. The old dude on the gray horse who Lillian Gish hung was very good.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
That movie is one of the most underrated movies of all time. It was beyond any doubt, Murphey's finest performance as an actor.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by super T
That movie is one of the most underrated movies of all time. It was beyond any doubt, Murphey's finest performance as an actor.

I agree! Murphy’s best acting!!!

Loved Lillian Gish playing the piano!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by super T

I agree! Murphy’s best acting!!!

Loved Lillian Gish playing the piano!!

Yeah, good movie, nothing like the usual crap Audie Murphey played in.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Lillian gish was born in Massillon Ohio where i live. I see her picture in places downtown but really never gave it a thought. Even a Lillian gish boulevard. Guess she was really good, huh?

Last edited by mjbgalt; 03/14/21.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, at sunset before the big battle, the Kiowa were out there at sunset playing the war flutes. Burt Lancaster and his brother carried the piano outside and had their mother Lillian Gish play the piano as a counterforce to the war pipes. I have watched every cowboy movie I have had a chance to watch, and never seen a scene like that one.

Lillian loved the little kidnapped Indian child as her own, as a replacement for her own baby who had died.
Burt Lancaster loved her as his sister, even though adopted.
Audie Murphy hated her as an Indian imposter and wanted her returned to the Kiowa. And he called her a "Red-Hide Niqqer!"

I couldn't believe that they played the audio of him making that remark, and also had it in the sub titles. I think that if the Biden Justice Department sees this movie, they will issue a warrant for the arrest of Audie Murphy. They want him to do 36 months in Leavenworth for hate crimes.

It will take the Biden Justice Department six months to learn that Audie Murphy has passed away.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You want a brutal Indian movie, go have a look at Bone Tomahawk.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Not to take away from The Unforgiven - it is an excellent movie also IMO but I did not find it particuarily brutal/

If you want to see a brutal Indian movie take a look at Black Robe. It is not a very fast moving plot but I suspect that it is more realistic than most movies made about that era.

Black Robe - preview: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101465/

drover

Last edited by drover; 03/14/21.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Added to the list.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Don't watch bone tomahawk without lights on and locked doors and a mental health therapist for afterward. Damn.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Brutal and not very good. It's found in the $3 bin at Wall.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by drover
Not to take away from The Unforgiven - it is an excellent movie also IMO but I did not find it particuarily brutal/

If you want to see a brutal Indian movie take a look at Black Robe. It is not a very fast moving plot but I suspect that it is more realistic than most movies made about that era.

drover

Black Robe is a VERY good movie. Very authentic in many details. Was popular in the reenacting community when it came out. One reason for its authenticity is it isn’t a holly weird flick It’s Canadian!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Any decent special effects?

Otherwise, ain't got the time.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorta in the same vein, another thread here got me started on Shane. Turns out Alan Ladd was not fond of guns, didn’t like working with them such that the third guy he shoots in the saloon at the end of the movie his revolver plainly wasn’t on target.

Jack Palance didn’t like horses, didn’t ride well, so they ended up filming him walking his horse into town. His mounts and dismounts from a horse were so awkward that when he finally got his dismount down they used that same shot more than once in the movie, playing it backwards when he mounted up.

One innovation in Shane, they had a cable attached to Palance in that last saloon scene, and when he was shot by Ladd the cable pulled him backwards off his feet do dramatize the effect of the shot.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover

drover

+10

I watched that movie in a room full of indians.

dead quiet room when it finished.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Watching “Black Robe” now.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch Lillian Gish and Robert Mitchum in the movie Night of the Hunter. Both Gish and Mitchum gave outstanding performances in a really good flick.

Birdwatcher, I'm kinda curious as to your source that Alan Ladd did not like guns?? I never met him but I knew some people who worked in various pictures with him where there were lots of guns and shooting and never heard any of those people say he disliked guns. Just curious.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,265
Posts18,486,536
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.