-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, my father and I just got back from Zimbabwe in Africa and had a great hunt. Shoot a cape buffalo, Eland, Bushbuck, baboon and a sable. My dad did not get his leopard. Now he is still in the hunting mood and we are looking for a last minute bear hunt this fall. I know all the reputable guides are booked. What I was hoping for is a cancellation hunt for 2. We would do brown or grizzly. Anyone know of any openings? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If we can't fill the hunt I will have to buy the new Skidoo REV XP X800 Renegade snowmobile.
Thanks and happy hunting.

GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Nobody knows of any openings for this fall? Brown or grizzly? How about any Moose openings? I need to go to Alaska.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have checked with the guy that I am going with this year on your behalf. He is en route from his remote fishing camps back in to Anchorage for a few weeks and when he gets there I am sure that he will call me back. I have asked about '07 and '08 but he and most of the good operators are booked up at least through '09 but.... who knows? Does not hurt to try! I could, I am SURE, get you in with a guy I used to book for in Alaska but there is a reason he usually has an opening. No repeat customers including me if that tells you anything. His hunting areas are far to close to larger cities and such, the hunting is TOUGH as a result! Tent camps are VERY spartan as well... Be wary of anyone who has an opening for this year that it is not due to a late cancellation. I DO have a late cancellation a Cape Buffalo hunt.... smile If you really want to go to Alaska this year I would strongly suggest a Caribou hunt as a great first step. Lots of Good caribou operatoins with great success ratios. If you are really good at setting up a backcountry camp and taking care of yourself in bad situations there are usually fly in drop camp style Moose hunts but these are VERY physically demanding, especially if you get a MOOSE! Also do it yourself black bear hunts are very do able. Doyles rentals phonenumber 877 442 4010, here at 24hr campfire can set you up with everything you need for a island black bear hunt and these island black bears can get darned near as big as an inland grizzly bear. I specialize in Africa now and have for about 5 years but I booked hunts in Alaska, Montana, Oregon and Colrado for quite a few years before I started Aahsome African adventures. I still have a contact or two up north if one of these idea's appeals to you. Moderator Sitka Deer would be an even better resource to you if Caribou or Black Bear are acceptable as first hunt in Alaska trips. NOTE TO ANYONE READING THIS THREAD FROM MOTOR CITY...... Motor City (Todd) hunted with me at this years 24 hour campfire Buffalo hunt and he is a GREAT guy to be around and hunt with. A Hunters hunter and a good sportsman. If someone from this forum wnated to invite him on a Caribou or black bear hunt you will find him a serious hunter and a good guy to have in camp. If he brings his dad, Robert (aka dad) is a SUPER guy. I guarantee that your fun will increase and you will be glad to have either or both of them along. All the best, let me know if I can be of any help!

Cheers,

MARK aka 'safariman'

PS when are you going to post the rest of your pictures and stories from the Buffalo hunt! smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Mark,
Thanks for the update. I hope you have a great Bear hunt. I know it is a long shot for this season bear hunts. But, I figured it was worth a shot. My dad really wanted to sneak another hunt in this year. He really wants a Bear after being blanked a few years ago on a Spring hunt. If nothing happens this year with a good guide a last minute hunt we will do next year.

I will try to post my pics today of the 24hour hunt.

I will pass on last minute Cape buffalo hunt. But will consider a Waterbuck, Leopard, Nyala, Elephant hunt for next year. Wife won't be happy.

Let me know when I can get a video of the Sable shot and Cape Buffalo hunts.

Thanks,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have great moose hunt for you and your dad in September of'08.

Give me a call when you have a minute and I will fill you in.

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

G
G
Hey Motor City,

I grew up in Traverse City, MI and now live here in Alaska. Not that that matters but it is cool to see other Michiganders looking to hunt AK. I know a place that you and your dad can do a fall brown bear hunt here in Alaska that just may work fantastic.

I work with a lady and her dad runs a top notch bear camp out on the Alaska Peninsula called AAA Alaskan Outfitters. I always check his site to look at photos and I saw he has 2 openings for this fall - October 12-21.

It looks like his brown bear hunts are booked through 2010 so he seems to be popular. His name is Brent Jones and his # is 620-481-0537 . Folks on here may know him and have some insight but it looks like a great trip. I don't know him really but I do know the last 42 hunters have killed 40 bears including bow hunters and his videos are AWESOME. This may be a great opprutunity at a hog.

His website is

http://www.aaaalaskanoutfitters.com/page/page/1856159.htm

Hope this helps and good luck in the search, I checked a few others I do know but they were booked up.

Gooch

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can't go wrong hunting with AAA, they got those brown bears down pat!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Motor,

I sent you a pm.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I know Brent a little, and he is an okay guy with a good reputation.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude if you can get with Brent for this fall , that would be as good as it gets , short of some of the permit areas.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Give Jack Atcheson JR a call @ 406-782-2382. I know he has some last week.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all of the info. I am awaiting responses.

Hey Goochwarmer,
I spend a lot time in the Traverse City area. I have a condo near Torch lake on Aga Ming Golf course and my buddy has a place on Spyder Lake in TC where we snowmobile.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 75 invisible), 3,257 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,430
Posts18,528,555
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.