Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Big difference betwixt hunters....and shooters!

Yerp. I’m a shooter first & foremost. Whether I’m good or no, it is my passion. I believe I shoot so I can reload. I hunt also & thoroughly enjoy it. But, much prefer to be at the reload & shooting bench.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I hate days like this....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This isn't too bad for a Remington 770 Walmart special with factory ammo.

This is what my '98 will do - there was an adjustment between the two, two shot groups to calibrate, as noted on scope reference, 6 to 5 1/2...

Last edited by las; 03/14/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I generally like a rifle that will do an inch at 100, and hold that level of accuracy to 500(5 inches at 500). Most will do that with good ammo and a competent shooter.

That said, once I get a rifle shooting inch groups, after that it is a cold bore shot that concerns me. One shot, in all kinds of weather, different times of day, different ranges, different seasons. Been a long time since I needed more than one shot on game, and I credit cold bore practice for that. If that first shot goes where you want it, you won’t be needing to fire a group...

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
One hole groups, all day long? BULLSCHIDT!!!!! 1.5" groups, all day long??? I still doubt it. I often shoot several groups at a range sitting that are 1.5" or less, sometimes even approaching an occasional 3/4" group. But ALL DAY??? Come on, get real!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like almost all shooters, I have never tried to have a rifle do that "all day long" - for any number of practical reasons. I will work through a variety of loadings, and sometimes try different sights/scopes with every rifle I own in trying to get it to make three holes touching at 100 yards - and sometimes beyond. Almost all will do that with enough experiment and effort and I sell those that will not do so for me. I do this for two reasons. It is highly enjoyable for me as a shooter and hobbyist. And, I need to really, really know any rifle I am going to use for its purpose. Once I truly know the rifle and have such confidence, all of the remainder is up to me in the moment of performance. That is of great personal importance.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good chance that Clay targets and broken pieces of the same at 50 and 100...with a .22lr, from the bench and field positions....have something to do with the first shot accuracy of the real woods Deer rifles.

Last edited by battue; 03/14/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Utahunter
One hole groups, all day long? BULLSCHIDT!!!!! 1.5" groups, all day long??? I still doubt it. I often shoot several groups at a range sitting that are 1.5" or less, sometimes even approaching an occasional 3/4" group. But ALL DAY??? Come on, get real!!!
Go to a serious benchrest shoot-95% of the 5 or 10 shot groups will be all touching,and average under 1/4" center to center.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I remember the days when I was younger had better eyes,concentration and more time I strived to be very close to 1 hole groups. Now as long as I can run out groups of 1" or under at 100yds I am happy with that. The Browning a bolt 204 still hits the mark though. 39gr bk's will make .235 groups all day long.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Early this AM looked out bedroom window and there were 6 Deer in the front yard, at around 30 yards..dropped the hammer on all six. I’ll tell you for a fact, they never moved....and from a rifle that has never shot three touching.

Horrible first shot shooting, since they will probably be back tomorrow some time.. wink

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by battue
Good chance that Clay targets and broken pieces of the same at 50 and 100...with a .22lr, from the bench and field positions....have something to do with the first shot accuracy of the real woods Deer rifles.

Ha! That’s a fact. Taught my kids that way, can bust four of five reliably at that range with the G17, myself. Amazing the number of folks who I tell about busting clays at 100 with a pistol, just assume I mean flying ones.😂

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Big difference betwixt hunters....and shooters!

I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive.

Just fer schitz n' giggles..........

The 6.5 PRC was factory fodder.

The 376 Steyr and 300 Win were handloads I worked up.

Browning Long Range Max. 6.5 PRC

Cold bore check for zero @ 200

Steyr Professional, 376 Steyr
my handloads,

x[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
100 yds.

200 yds

cold bore check for zero

Rem 700 Custom Shop, 300 Win Mag

12/19

11/20

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by PSE
I'm much more impressed with someone who shoots 10 shots in one go into a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch group than someone who occasionally gets a .5 MOA group with 3 shots. This of course at 100 yd and no flyers dismissed.

3 shots is starting to become the accepted norm because it's much easy to get a tighter group with a small sample.

The all day - every day that people like to tack on to their declaration is also an eye roller.

True this. But how many times does a hunter need to shoot 3 times at an animal, much less 10 ( OK- that's happened to me twice. Sue me! And the guns were both well within acceptable parameters.) frown

Lots of truth in nearly every post here.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gee, is that “cold bore” or “cold boar”? I’m confused.

Maybe using a cold bore to make a boar cold?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But how many times does a hunter need to shoot 3 times at an animal, much less 10 ( OK- that's happened to me twice.

Back when I was younger and quite a bit faster I sometimes shot almost 70 times per second at animals, but in my defense it was done without sights.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Back when I was younger and quite a bit faster I sometimes shot almost 70 times per second at animals,
but in my defense it was done without sights.

Were you yelling "GET SUM" during the process? grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by las

True this. But how many times does a hunter need to shoot 3 times at an animal, much less 10 ( OK- that's happened to me twice. Sue me! And the guns were both well within acceptable parameters.) frown

I don't see that as the real question. To me it's what type and how much shooting will accurately predict the size of the zone (around the desired POI) into which your first shot will fall.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Gee, is that “cold bore” or “cold boar”? I’m confused.

Maybe using a cold bore to make a boar cold?

I had some cold shoat on a sandwich yesterday. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
An inch or less, I’m way happy for my type of hunting.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Ive rarely shot a one hole group at 100 yards, but I have shot a sub 36" group over 20 rounds with an off the rack M-16 with standard peep sights and 62g SS109 standard ammo while shooting from the prone unsupported position...

at 600 meters.

Thats not bad at all. I generally shot 20 shot groups 12 inches of less with a sling at that range, but that was my gun and my ammo.

Rack gun and ball ammo you get fliers all over and a horrible trigger.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by geedubya
Seems somewhere, on more than one occasion I've heard the remark from a fellow that declares his over-the-counter Remchester will shoot 1 hole groups all day long.

I've owned quite a few production and semi-custom rifles as well as a few full custom's that others had commissioned and then sent down the road. I know, in my old age, that I do not seem to have the ability to concentrate that I did when I was younger.

Having said that, in the last 30 years that I have been reloading for hunting, using rifles described above to kill stuff, and developing loads for that purpose, I've found that for me, one hole groups at any time are an anomaly, much less all day long?

What is your expectation/experience in that regard, and what do you consider acceptable accuracy for hunting, say 300 yds. and under??

Asking for me, not a friend.

Quien Sabe?

GWB

In a hunting situation I would be very pleased to be able to hit a softball at 300 yards consistently. That's typically my goal.

At the range off of a bench I expect to do much better.

For me, it is not really much more then do I feel good when the hammer falls... whether I am hunting or target shooting.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,473
Posts18,529,410
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.