Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Howdy:

Curious about opinions on these. I am considering the Zoom Super Fluke, The Bass Assassin, and the KVD caffeine shad. Anyone have experience/preference when it comes to brand and colors? I'll be going after NH small mouth mostly. Thanks in advance,

Rich

"Dying ain't much of a living, Boy." Josey Wales
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We don’t have smallmouth around here but I use the Zooms for largemouth quite a bit. I fish them on a 4/0 worm hook, usually weightless. Flip them up in cover and twitch erratically between pauses on the retrieve.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the Zoom for years and it's a great bait. However, the last couple years I have used the Caffeine Shad exclusively. I think I'm catching more fish on the Caffeine Shad. Maybe because the fish just don't see as many of those as compared to the Zoom products. Senko's work too. Like the other poster, 4/0 wide gap weightless and Texas rigged.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Do Sluggos still exist?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Do Sluggos still exist?

Yes. I haven't used the Slug Go for a really long time. They caught fish back in the day.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the info folks, seems these days there are more varieties of baits than there are fish!!

Rich

"Dying ain't much of a living, Boy." Josey Wales
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For smallies, put a bit of chartreuse on the bait (get some dye pens). On the tail works well. As mentioned, rig on a swimbait hook either lightly weighted or plain. Depending on sink rate, twitch with long or short pauses.

ZMan baits are tougher, and float. You can get more than one fish per bait, and you can weight them to be dead neutral in the water for looooooong pauses. Drives smallies nuts. Then, the smallest twitch and WHAM.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
For smallies, put a bit of chartreuse on the bait (get some dye pens). On the tail works well. As mentioned, rig on a swimbait hook either lightly weighted or plain. Depending on sink rate, twitch with long or short pauses.

ZMan baits are tougher, and float. You can get more than one fish per bait, and you can weight them to be dead neutral in the water for looooooong pauses. Drives smallies nuts. Then, the smallest twitch and WHAM.

x 2 on the zman. The caffeine shad great lure to.

Ive fished for smallmouth over 40 years and the tube jigs like the gizit are still a really good smallmouth lure. Crawled on the bottom, or jig , swam erratically.

Get a few crank baits too

I like yellow or chartreuse braid with a 6 to 8 foot fluoro leader. You'll often see the line move before you feel a strike.

Have fun

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
ZOOMIE Lizard
Pumpinseed color

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the spring we use beaver type soft baits rigged Texas style mostly. Jigs in brown or green, senko in a variety of colors and fluke in white and pink weightless.

CK
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have a N GA lake house with super clear water. Super Fluke and Fluke jr in watermellon works very well on Largemouth

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I really like the fluke in smoke shad. I often put them on 1/8th ounce jig heads and catch monster smallies and walleyes with them here in Iowa on local rivers. They’re really the only plastic jerk bait I use. I’ve also had very good luck using buck tail jigs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.