Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
We had a Cocker when I was a kid, all I remember is that when it crapped on the carpet, it looked like liquid melted Rolo candy.

JFC

Your brain makes me laugh. grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Most references I see on Chows suggest they are a 1-person deal.

I had one, was a good dog. A buddy's though, no one could pet it not even him, he would bite anyone that touched him but otherwise never bothered anyone.

Your buddy's dog sounds like a sweetheart!

I can see the ad in the paper:

"Free dog! Has outgrown his home. Great with kids!

DO NOT pet!!"

lol

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger

Got one in the neighborhood I'm gunning for now.

Originally Posted by bluestem
Anyone have any bad experiences with a chow?

No. But one had a bad experience with me.

Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I don't like dogs in general...if one comes on my place and is causing havoc, it gets a 17 hmr behind the ear.

Same here. Don't make your mutt my problem. They don't have to causing havoc. Schitting in my yard is enough to get them fed to the ravens and magpies.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've had 3 cocker spaniels. 2 were the most low key easy going lovable dogs ever. This 3rd one has a screw loose. He's great with the core family, but all bets are off with strangers especially kids. He walks in counter clockwise circles all day- probably at least a 1000 a day. For the most part hes ok with strangers as long as you ignore him, but watch out if you get in his face or try to pet him unexpectedly.

Whenever people come to the house to work on stuff, i tell them to watch out or he will bite. Partly because it could be true and partly because any thoughts of coming back at another time when we are not home are vanquished.

He's only bitten one kid and not badly. The mom was feeding the dog while we were gone and we told them to keep the kid away but they didn't listen. When he flips out he sounds like the devil dog-rabid, ferral and insane all at once.

Also has little man syndrome when it comes to other animals. We got a cat recently and to my surprise he hasn't killed it. They do ok now but every once in a while he flips out on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bluestem
Anyone have any bad experiences with a chow?

Yes.

As an animal control officer in the 1990's, I found that shows were a breed I would not trust. Same for sharpei, akita, pitbull, Staffordshire, etc. All so include poorly bred and trained german shepherds and Rottweiler and labs.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Had a vet friend tell me rotties brain case is actually too small for their brains. As a result, some run around with what amounts to a constant headache. Dunno how one would determine this, but it might explain some of the behavior.

Never heard that about rottweikers, but did hear that about Dobermans.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by elkmtb
I've had 3 cocker spaniels. 2 were the most low key easy going lovable dogs ever. This 3rd one has a screw loose. He's great with the core family, but all bets are off with strangers especially kids. He walks in counter clockwise circles all day- probably at least a 1000 a day. For the most part hes ok with strangers as long as you ignore him, but watch out if you get in his face or try to pet him unexpectedly.

Whenever people come to the house to work on stuff, i tell them to watch out or he will bite. Partly because it could be true and partly because any thoughts of coming back at another time when we are not home are vanquished.

He's only bitten one kid and not badly. The mom was feeding the dog while we were gone and we told them to keep the kid away but they didn't listen. When he flips out he sounds like the devil dog-rabid, ferral and insane all at once.

Also has little man syndrome when it comes to other animals. We got a cat recently and to my surprise he hasn't killed it. They do ok now but every once in a while he flips out on it.

Why is that dog alive?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never understood the mentality that holds that it is perfectly all right for dogs to bite people.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Why is that dog alive?

No doubt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I have never understood the mentality that holds that it is perfectly all right for dogs to bite people.

Bitey dogs have a place. It is not around children.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I work on irrigation and sprinkler systems in peoples yards all summer. People tend to think all their dogs are fine. They are not. I trust no dog unless I know it well. Most common biters here are healers and other small to medium size dogs. I do not have much experience with Pits, Rottweilweiler or shepherd types , because I call the owner and tell them I do not work in yards with dogs, so you have to put them up. Digging in a valve box at ground level puts you at a decided disadvantage. One thing I have noticed is since I got my rat terrier other peoples dogs act more defensively towards me. My 25 lb rat must smell aggressive....... Children should never be left with any dogs ,when we were little my cousin got his bottom lip torn most of the way off by a 10 year old beagle that would normally not harass its own fleas.... Because children do not always make wise choices.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks 1minute , guess I didn't look around town closely enough .

I could live somewhere like Burns/Hines .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Bitey dogs have a place. It is not around children.

...nor any law-abiding people.

Last edited by 5sdad; 03/16/21.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My cousin raised a rottweiler from a puppy, typical family dog. It was 6yo when it attacked her, taking a chunk out of her thigh.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Much of it is a form of Russian roulette, with the barrel pointed at someone else.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
rather have a cocker biting me than a pit...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Why is that dog alive?

We know what we got and act accordingly. I think he's mostly a fear biter/ false aggressive. all hat and no cattle you might say. Great dog for the core family. He's old and deaf now.

He gets put up when strangers are around. You get a puppy and get invested in them before you know too much about them. If it was a big breed diff story. Any highly inbred species can me subject to mental or physical problems.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Living in cattle country, I have been nipped by an occasional heeler. I never have seen one of the sneaky bastards actually attack a person, but I am sure they are capable of such.

I watch heelers like a hawk. But one second of distraction and the little bastard will come up behind and get your ankle. It would probably hurt if a guy was in tennies or loafers. So far, the bite has always landed on my cowboy boots or loggers.

The little schitts will be gone and under someone's truck before you can spin around to address the issue. If the dog can avoid the flying hooves of 1000 range cows, there is little chance that I can lay a boot on his sneaky butt.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Living in cattle country, I have been nipped by an occasional heeler. I never have seen one of the sneaky bastards actually attack a person, but I am sure they are capable of such.

I watch heelers like a hawk. But one second of distraction and the little bastard will come up behind and get your ankle. It would probably hurt if a guy was in tennies or loafers. So far, the bite has always landed on my cowboy boots or loggers.

The little schitts will be gone and under someone's truck before you can spin around to address the issue. If the dog can avoid the flying hooves of 1000 range cows, there is little chance that I can lay a boot on his sneaky butt.

When I was a kid, my uncle had a Blue Heeler for a cattle dog. He would go out and bring in the milk cows from the pasture when it was time to milk.

He was smart that way but that damn thing used to knock us kids down from behind all the time and hump the crap out of us!

I hated that dog! lol

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Chows are nasty IMO. Had a BIL that had one and it was vicious sob!

Kid I grew up with had 200 stiches in his face, quite the scars from a chow when he was 3yo. Years later and his birthday party, I think we were 12 or so, the same kids black lab attacked him in front of all of us. His father got the dog off in time before it got real bad. Guess there was just something about him.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (1_deuce, 280fan, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 204guy, 29 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,314
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.